SOP Suggestions

Each time I read SOP I find a number of things that I don’t think jive or make sense, so here is a list of changes I would make for any admins to take note of. Feel free to leave any of your own below. Just so I don’t have to repeat myself every time, anything in bold was emphasis added by yours truly.

Basic SOP
This section is a little strange as it almost entirely pertains to security and security only.

Code Blue - High Alert
Elevated alert level. There are reports or other proof available to indicate that there is a threat to the station, or chaos, mutiny, or rioting are occurring. This should be performed by a poll of available heads of staff, with a majority in favor of raising the alert level.

According to this blue alert can only be declared if there is a threat to the station. That’s vague and should be clarified, does an emagged door count as a threat to the station or are we talking more along the lines of asteroids. Context would lean towards the latter. For the second part, when I play heads I rarely ever see a poll actually being held. Sometimes no heads even have any say because some random law 2’s the AI into raising to blue. This part of SOP should be enforced more and possibly silicons should have its ability to raise removed. They aren’t heads or part of a department.

Code Blue - High Alert

• Energy guns, laser guns and riot gear are allowed to be given out to security personnel if the HoS or Warden agree.

Notice what it doesn’t include. Technically you could argue that riot shotguns are included under riot gear, but considering they come preloaded with non lethal shells and people immediately ditch those for lethals I don’t think its applicable. Either enforce it or change it.

Code Blue - High Alert

• Security is authorized to use lethal force on suspects suspected of Major or greater crimes who actively flee and resist arrest, and suspects who assault officers without responding to verbal warnings to stop.

I think merely running shouldn’t be a death sentence for all major crimes as there is a lot of variation between them. Shooting someone who flagrantly murdered someone when they run away? Quite reasonable. Shooting someone who sent a meme message using someone elses PDA? Not so reasonable. This is more of an issue with space law than SOP though.

Command SOP

Captain
The Captain may not take Armory equipment outside of Code Blue or Red Alert, and the Captain must return it once the alert level is lowered.

Why even let them do it in the first place, what does the armory have that they need? They have the best armor and a good melee and ranged weapon on blue alert already. Security needs the gamer gear more than they do.

Captain
The Captain may only promote personnel to an Acting Head of Staff position if there is no assigned Head of Staff associated with the department. Said Acting Head of Staff must be a member of the department they are to lead. The captain may appoint other heads of staff to oversee a department without a current head of staff.

This part should be included under head of personnel, they are more likely to have to deal with people wanting acting positions than the captain is.

Head of Personnel
The Head of Personnel must confirm with the relevant Head of Staff when giving a crewmember access to their department.

Logically we know this to mean that the HOP must ask permission from the relevant head, but you could easily argue that confirming just means stating that you’ve given out access in this context. Twisting words thematically fits with a HOP so I’m cool with it.

Head of Personnel
The Head of Personnel may not process demotions on behalf of the relevant Head of Staff without prior authorization. Demotions may be processed if required under Space Law when requested by the Head of Security.

Whose authorization, the captain or the relevant head? If it’s on behalf of the relevant head why not leave it as a responsibility of the relevant head, they have a console to do it. For the second part, can a HOP just flat out refuse a demotion if the HOS asks for one? It does say may, I think this option should be kept open in case of power trips.

Head of Personnel
The Head of Personnel is not permitted to open extra job slots for civilian slots unless the original crewmember of this job is dead or missing.
The Head of Personnel may approve and open additional non-civilian job slots at the request of the relevant heads of staff.

These rules are here to prevent the HOP from opening 50 clown and mime slots, but the inconsistency is a bit of a slap in the face. Rules for thee and not for me.

Security SOP

Head of Security - Green Alert
The Head of Security is permitted to carry any non-lethal weaponry, plus a concealed lethal sidearm.

Clarification is needed, are weapons that are currently non lethal but have lethal capability considered lethal or non lethal weapons? The way it’s worded it seems like the idea is that the X-01 uses the concealed lethal sidearm and thus lethal capable weaponry is considered lethal. Same issue with the warden, the intention seems to be their compact shotgun is the concealed sidearm.

Head of Security - Blue Alert
All Code Green guidelines except 3, 6, 7, and 9 are carried over.
9 on Green: Lethal force is not permitted unless the person poses an immediate threat to your life. Refer to lethal force guidelines as described in Space Law.

Obviously the HOS can’t shoot to kill anyone on blue, but strictly the way it is worded they could argue they can. Add a line to blue alert correcting this.

Warden - Green Alert
The Warden must conduct a thorough search of every prisoners’ belongings.
The Warden must read to every prisoner the crimes they are sentenced for.

The implication in Warden SOP and throughout the rest of security SOP is that the warden should be in charge of the brigging and sentencing of every prisoner. This should be outright stated in SOP or trashed.

Warden - Blue Alert
The Warden is permitted to hand out Armory equipment as they or the Head of Security deems necessary. Equipment must be returned once the alert level is lowered.

This clashes with the second statement I pointed out on the general SOP page. That page says only energy/laser guns and riot gear are to be given out on blue. Are riot shotguns considered riot gear? It has riot in the name, but they are almost universally used lethally. If lethal shotguns are okay, why are combat shotguns specifically excluded when they are lethal? In my opinion it doesn’t make sense for them to fall under riot gear. That to me means riot armor and shields, shields you cant use a shotgun with.

Security Officer - Green Alert
Security Officers must ask a person to surrender peacefully before incapacitating them, unless they pose an immediate threat.

This is more of a player issue than a SOP one much like alert raises but admins need to enforce this more. I have seen people get wordlessly batonged and drug to the brig and it sucks for them. If people whine about risk too much it could be added to the audio on the gas mask.

Security Officer - Green Alert
Security Officers are permitted to conduct searches, provided there is reasonable evidence/suspicion that the person in question has committed a crime.

I would add a section saying that said security officer has to state what crime or why they are suspicious of said person. That way if they say something dumb like “You walked into maint roundstart” you know you can ahelp them for metagaming.

Security Officer - Blue Alert
All Code Green guidelines except 5 and 7 are carried over.
6 on Green: Security Officers may not use Armory equipment.
4 on Blue: Security Officers may have Armory equipment. Equipment must be returned once the alert level is lowered.

They are both simultaneously allowed and not allowed to have armory equipment.

Detective - Green Alert
The Detective may not perform arrests or searches.

In this context searches likely means searches of people, but searching environments is the detectives schtick. Make it clearer that searches only means people if this is the case.

The Detective may not discard any evidence. It needs to be stored securely for the duration of the shift.

I think this should be changed to just say hand it over to the warden or put it in secure storage if one is not present. It gives something for the warden to do and prevents detectives from leaving eswords in their locker as I have seen happen before.

Brig Physician - Green Alert
The Brig Physician should tend to the wounds of any security department member.

I would make it clearer that their responsibility is to security and not medbay. I see brig physicians just become a MD that treats security on the side rather than doing their actual job. Maybe include something on the on the other jobs telling them to seek treatment from the physician first so the brig phys has something to do.

The Brig Physician is not a law enforcement officer, and should not perform the duties of one.

This implies that they don’t have the justification to charge into danger like security officers do. Make that explicit if it is true.

End

Just doing two departments took forever, I’ll finish this in the comments later. Hopefully command/sec were the hardest

Im pretty sure I checked with an admin once about this and they said riot shotguns are riot gear.

I will say since officers dont have armory access generally the way it actually works is either the HoS/ warden offers to open it or an officer asks them if they think they need lethals. There are very few times the armory will be opened to seccies for non lethal combat.

Reading comprehension + other rules factor in here too.

Alrighty, I’m happy to give you my two cents here:

That is pretty much an impossible thing to do. In a game that is this complex trying to make a ruling for every single situation that can happen is impossible. What matters here is that you, as a head, try to act reasonable and if you think there’s a reasonable cause then elevate it.

You have to keep in mind that SOP is a guideline.
Yes not for heads but it’s absolutely fine to not hold a vote if multiple heads are dead or comms are down, or other stuff happens.
Banning people for something like that would be nonsensical.

Riot shotguns do go under riot gear. And I’m fine with people ditching them for lethal shells if the situation warrants it. Good luck stopping a hulk with a disabler.

You keep forgetting that for anyone other than heads and to a certain extent security, SOP is a guideline. It’s an IC “company how to act” paper. That you can be demoted over.

Common sense and the “you must roleplay” rule (all of our rules for that matter) still apply. Obviously then there’s also the question if the meme message sent was actually with intent to impersonate.
Following SOP doesn’t mean you can’t be held accountable ICly, nor OOCly if you do not act within our rules.

Nothing in SOP trumps our rules. For example, SOP saying that you can arm yourself up on blue alert doesn’t mean you automatically should if the situation doesn’t warrant it. Act how your character would.

Because sometimes it’s needed. :person_shrugging: I don’t see an issue with this. The cap can only assist security in certain cases, and if he does then why shouldn’t he have access to the same tools. On top of that the captain just arming themselves with security gear for no reason is powergaming. (Common sense again)

No I just disagree here. The captain is responsible for acting heads not the HOP. If there’s no captain then the HOP is automatically the acting captain which makes this point redundant.

This is a fair point. The spirit of that part is that the HOP has to make an effort to ask the respective head of staff before giving someone access. I get how the wording is a bit confusing.

Captain yeah. The HOP isn’t the one that can or should demote heads on their own, when there’s a captain available. And yes, I’d argue the HOP can refuse to demote a crewmember even if the HOS wants them to.
If a head wants a crewmember of their departement demoted, then the actual demotion part can be done with their own console.

The HOS is not the captain and does not have any authority over other departements. If the HOS wants someone from medbay demoted, but the CMO says no. Then that’s how it is. Deal with it HOS, you’re not the captain.

Obviously don’t forget that as a head you are supposed to act reasonable. If someone did something so bad the HOS wants them demoted… then yeah maybe you shouldn’t just refuse it. Act how your character would ICly.

It is what it is. You’re not getting your 50 clown slots back. :man_shrugging:

Yep that is how I would interpret it as well.

Uh no. They can only kill the person if they pose an immediate threat to their life or if the clauses in space law/blue alert allow them to.

I like the idea that the warden is responsible for brigging and dealing with prisoners. But as I said earlier with SOP being a guideline, I’m not going to bwoink a warden that doesn’t have time to read the crimes of the prisoner because something just blew up, for example.

Riot shotguns are riot gear yes. But that still means you have to use beanbags and non lethal rounds if you aren’t otherwise permitted to use lethal force.

If the security officer has a valid reason to do so then that is IC. For example if in the past they immediately started running away and managed to escape.
If he’s just being a dick towards the other person by wordlessly batonging immediately then yes that is bad.

I think it’s fine as is. If you think the security officer metagamed then ahelp.

Good point. Thanks. It has been fixed!

I’ve never heard of this being an issue and I also don’t really think it is.

Space law clearly says that evidence has to be stored in evidence and not in the detectives locker. Your detective in the example was breaking space law. I don’t think this needs any changing.

I think the brig phys should be able to help out medbay if they are overwhelmed and he has nothing to do. I feel like all of this should be up to the players ingame.

If the situation in accordance with our actual rules allows for it then I don’t see why they shouldn’t. Again, SOP is not a hard rule. It’s more so a guideline that you shouldn’t ignore, but if the situation warrants it you can!

3 Likes

Space law clearly says that evidence has to be stored in evidence and not in the detectives locker. Your detective in the example was breaking space law. I don’t think this needs any changing.

I believe what Darn was refering is that some Detectives usually leave the contraband on the lockers that have no id-lock so… anyone that manages to get in there can just open it and grab it hence their suggestion to always go to the warden so it’s guaranteed to be secured, i believe it’s mostly to prevent that ‘‘oopsie’’ that traitors can exploit if they manage to find their way into that room, which tbh it’s fine it’s an IC mistake that rewards the antag and punish the det/security so i agree we don’t really need that change in the end as you said SoP is like a guideline recommended to follow that doesn’t surpass the rules however

There’s some scenarios that depends on the context, maybe there’s no wardens or officers near but ideally the det hands over the evidence and the warden/officer handles it, i guess you can justify a small SoP breach if something like this were to happen:

→ Three traitors got caught, officers are dealing with their gear
→ A fourth one comes and puts a c4 on a door and runs with a sec id (security access compromised)
→ The officers go to pursuit
→ Det doesn’t want the traitor gear all over the floor so just for a temporary safe keeping(since sec access is compromised) they decide to put it on their personal safe/locker
→ If the situation gets resolved they just take it out and hand it back to warden/officer/etc

It really depends on the context but i can see why Darn would suggest it.

1 Like

Darn did say “their” locker so I assume they did mean the detective’s locker and not the evidence storage ones.

Agreed yeah. I think stuff like allows for funny or cool IC situations.

I think that should be IC. If the detective forgets or refuses to give back the items that are stored in his locker then there’s always the possibility of IC repercussions. Be it a demotion, stern talking to or whatever.
SOP being a bit vague at times is not a bad thing. It’s a guideline and on top also allows for more player freedom.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.