Sergei's Map Thread

Bad
Where are Supply and Engineering departments? I know Deadpop seldom has a chaplain or curator, but I think facilities for them would be nice too. Maybe someone wants to hold a funeral for like, Ian or Runtime? No shuttle docks to speak of yet either.

Good
I like the overall shape, The fact that the bar and kitchen are a duo again, and the large room below them whether it’s a maint construction area, or the dining room, because it offers space that is communal and cooperative. The shared medical/science space will be interesting and should promote both conflict and cooperation in equal measure.

edited because I can do better

Not yet installed. Odds are if something is missing in that picture that’s because it has not yet been developed.

I edited my comment because I had more thoughts than I thought.

As stated before your edit… not yet installed.

that would be botany, if you look at the little spawn icon.

It’s more pushing Genetics research into the science department to create a larger area for cloning and corpse processing.

Looks good overall.

However, cap’s office is wayyy too exposed. Anyone with a screwdriver and crowbar can break in in around 30 seconds (a bit longer if electrified).

Botany is huge. On deadpop I’d imagine 1-2 botanists, while this is as big as all of science (or what you have so far). Maybe cut off 1/3 and make it the janitor room.

I assume that the Brig will have only a single set of doors instead of an airlock (because of the tight space and deadpop design.)

The Sci autolathe should be accessible from outside Science.

This isn’t going to be a major concern. Blast doors will be put in place for hardening. They’ll start open but obviously can be easily closed. Same applies to the HOP’s office. There is a risk of no heads being available to shut the blast doors, but I’ll consider it if there is a major security issue.

Yeah, I’m aware, the major issue is volumetric, how do I make a good stable room to facilitate another operation. Most service areas are going to be combined in terms of access and we’ll see how that goes.

Brig will be an L bend airlock with doors in the two-wide going north and another set at the wall in the HOS office, this provides the HOS easy view to see who is coming in and out from their office, and yes, there will be shutters for the HOS office too.

There will be one in Cargo. Talk to people or visit cargo. I’ll die on this hill unless a maintainer makes me change it.

1 Like

No autolathe should be publicly accessible and the update that changed this on all existing stations was an absolutely terrible step in the wrong direction for our server.

2 Likes

Free autolathes lead to those goddamn bartenders grabbing lethals rounds for no apparent reason. Also free ammo for anyone with an illegal weapon. It makes it hard as security.

2 Likes

it also means free infinite tools to anyone. Our tool economy was already absolutely terrible, and then we went from “lots of extremely cheap tools” to “near infinite public tools”

1 Like

Any antag can just get so much gear, ammo, anything they need from just autolathes. There’s also most stations have a single door stopping you from breaking in a door to a departments protolathe, which can be straight up deadly for science, then its just easy enough with that gear to walk into security and take whatever you want. Point is, autolathes are too good to be public access.

Customizable space and large spaces to move stuff around is very good.

Did you have anywhere specific in mind?

Maybe some static maintenance/storage rooms that are easily accessible and not too full of different stuff. But it seems that you are making a minimalistic station, so this might not be a very good approach.
Vacant comissary is a good feature of the maps it is on, but no one ever uses it because it is behind access and also because it is placed in a spot that most people visit once - when they arrive on the shuttle.

You could lave a 12x12 tile empty room named “construction area” which CE and HoP can give access to.

Once again, the dreaded access baring. I think this access should be given via an access card like in the mining conscription kit.

I disagree here, maps should follow some formulas and right now SM is the only actual engine that works, has any gameplay beyond setting it up and doesn’t lag server.

Also a tiny problematic feature about small maps it that sometimes many players connect very quickly, so you might want to do something in case of that happening.

Maybe try do the thing goon does where sci and medical are together also cargo is part of engie.