Self-requested bans policy change

Policy Update

Our policy on self-requested bans has been updated. Moving forward,

• All self-requested role bans will be denied.
  • Self-requested server bans will be permanent and unappealable.

Self-requested bans applied before February 23rd, 2023 can still be appealed like normal.

6 Likes

Seems fine, but I’m wondering what the intentions of this change are? What is the issue this is addressing or goal of the change?

7 Likes

Finally the end of self request antag bans, especially conversion ones. Always cringed when I saw those.

4 Likes

Too much. Why not make it a year but no vouch?

3 Likes

Why is that such a bad thing anyway?

1 Like

Reducing overhead is the simplest answer to this question. But, for some more specific reasoninings…

Self-bans are kind of headache from an administrative perspective (both in terms of moderation and general management). It creates a lot of, “junk” bans which are incredibly difficult to filter out and hamper my ability to do certain events and reporting. For example, my “Good list” event at the end of 2021 was dependent on people having zero bans. Some genuinely good players were excluded from this entirely because they had self-bans and were upset at that realization.

Role-bans specifically are often detrimental to players in-game as well. The most common use is to ban antags so they don’t have to participate in conversion rounds. I don’t think I need to explain how this is detrimental to the conversion antag. As for basic role-ban requests, the player should simply disable those job options instead of burdening our bans-and-appeals system.

To dissuade people from taking the option at all. It only exists for the most extreme cases.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s overboard imo, and disregards cases where people just aren’t thinking rationally due to emotions or very temporary breakdowns.

I get the want to reduce workload for sure, but we already discussed with crossed for several simple ways to not make it too much, like :

-Making it a year with no vouch

-Make them ask again 3 days later to make sure they understand and aren’t overreacting (no workload, discord auto tracks times, mods can just forget about it til they receive a new dm and it confirms they waited 3 days). I get they’d have to keep track of it, yes, but it really isn’t that much of a workload compared to the previous policies.

-Just say no to every form of ban entirely & community ban if they start acting whacky

But everyone piled on me and autisme with funny chad emote and whatnot, while crossed was trying to genuinely argue but wouldn’t budge, so I gave up arguing for it. I still nontheless think this decision needs to be reworked at least a bit, to still make it as permanent as could be, but with a tiny bit of leeway to ensure not casting a net too wide.

3 Likes

Take into account people make mistakes and act on their emotions. Not everyone considers the repercussions fully.

6 Likes

This is very silly.

3 Likes

Yay my first witnessed bee announcement

Honestly just turn antags you don’t wanna be off. And just set roles you don’t wanna be to NEVER. It’s not that hard. And if you wanna just be perma’d off the server, think twice about it, and if you’re not sure, just leave.

2 Likes

People were doing it for conversion antags. Disabling them in prefs just means you won’t become one roundstart.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just realized that now. Though I don’t know why you’d willingly decide to offer your character up for a ghost to control. Especially if you’re playing a really hard or unfamiliar job to a ghost like Viro or Engie or even CE. I speak from experience of the weirdness of taking an antag banned viro’s body because they were abducted.

It’s not about letting a ghost play, it’s about not playing it yourself.

true.

This text will be blurred

On the bright side of the spectrum: No more self-requested antag bans. *clap

2 Likes

I will keep and cherish my conversion antag ban.

Antag Bans requested before the change are being lifted now I think

To be honest, I believed this was an abuse of the banning system, and I am glad to see this change.

4 Likes

Bee players when they have to adapt their RP after being converted (impossible)

10 Likes

I do agree that some players have some heated moments or some sort of “addiction realization” and end up requesting bans(except the durr conversion antag sucks ban me from them)

Of course reducing workload of bans is good, but… is it really such a taxing and demanding thing for an admeme? Mentioning the “good player list” sounds more like on one side you don’t want to bother on filtering or double checking the self-requested cases and on the other those players could’ve argued they self ban was for X and Y and still get the “price”

I’m assuming Admemes are gonna be told how to approach this situations with different players? that if someone tries to do it they should notify them about the policy change, maybe tell them they should re-consider it and cool off from some days from the game and if nothing works ultimately go with the ban, which could lead to some players to be gone forever or a trend of ban appeals that will get insta denied, we do have a couple of emotional players, maybe instead of recurring to an insta unnappealable player another way could be for the admin to say “Sorry we no longer do self request bans” and maybe throw a cent or two on the topic depending on their reason behind it.

Also considering you’ll probably read this Crossed, your thread “the end of an era” which tried to set some rules for the general forum got mega-buried and it never really got pinned, if you’re still interested on keeping a more “clean” General you should bring it back.

1 Like