Roleplaying Mindset

Yeah 100% agree

My characters I start with a general goal for how I’d like them to be, and I just see if they end up there or not.

I have a lot of fun when people talk about a character of mine and say stuff like, “oh yeah, I’m pretty sure X’s favorite Y is Z” and then I didnt even know they had a favorite Y or Z. Its enjoyable figuring out whether I want to incorporate it or not!

How about we hijack the thread a hair and also add roleplay tips :flushed:

this is good information. I like the concept of personally “growing” a character. Adds a new level of depth.

I don’t create a full backstory for anyone I play: I select a small number of personality/physical traits that would change how a character reacts and fill in the details as I go. Reducing the things I need to think about in game to a set of 3-4 traits makes it easier for me to keep track of them and actually stick to them in game.

Lemme illustrate using my two main characters:

Ivan, my original and main character, is old/frail, honest, honourable and anti-augmentation/mutation. Thus he doesn’t run around a lot, tells the truth (usually), tries to be “fair” in combat and avoids getting augments/genetics powers. It’s easier to recall from a short list like that rather than a full backstory when deciding how to act.

6 Likes

This is a good post right here, I like how you honest about your playstyle and shit. Based.

I like the idea of having themed characters, I don’t “remember” shit between rounds, I kinda pretend it’s my first day every shift so i’m like “Hi what can I get ya” or whatever, instead of “oh it’s you again (lrp regular) lemme get you some clf3 cause you just gon tide in to get it”

1 Like

You’re Ivan Rokosovsky? Fuckin no way! You taught me a LOT about atmos a while ago!

i’m a fan of traits over backstory too (I don’t like being weighed down by having to stick to a backstory i’d probably forget and no one picks up on anyway) but I do like introducing a one-round only backstory type thing where I make something (Often absurd or stupid) up on the spot and mention it in passing if for a quick gag or something then never mention it again.

Honestly when it comes to playing a character for SS13 I tend to make them light hearted and a bit humorous over since space station 13 is, to me, a primarily comedic game and it makes for a more memorable experience for everyone involved instead of interacting with some random uber serious no-nonsense guy.

1 Like

I like the concept of the same character having a different backstory, even straight up ad-libbed every time they’re asked haha

1 Like

It’s a little hard for me to come up with a notable level of backstory and intricate details. My characters* are somewhat just an extension of me and I do like that traits can be a decent part of character too, most of mine revolve around play style. help where able, killing bad (in very dumbed down terms) (and then musician because I wanted to)).

If I ever had to make a character for something, its been a blank slate which is gradually filled in via interactions.

1 Like

Oooh, I like this thread! I’d like to say I am not good at RP, nor nearly as experienced as some of the people I see around. Most of the RP I do is enforced by a certain gimmick or trait restriction and much like several other people I find it lets me play more naturally around said restrictions rather than coming up with some extensive backstory or character notes I need to respect. Sometimes things evolve on their own to a satisfying point, other times the character concept just doesn’t work out that well.

On the topic of bleed, it’s definitely hard to avoid. Between different character personalities and relationships, assorted metaknowledge and all that jazz, it can be very hard to restrict a character’s knowledge but I tend to find it most engaging when a character isn’t an expert in all fields as well as identifying and responding to every single threat at a glance.

:flushed:

1 Like

Yea I’ve been how everyone RPs, it’s neat to see how other people get into the mindset

Well I remember people but not in a “we’re friends here’s AA” but rather a saints row the third buddy system where they don’t do shit but if you really wanted something stupid taken care of they’ll get it. Think a fetch quest.

2 Likes

RP can deffenetly be fun and add a spark to what is otherwise a boring shift. i just relax and let the few existing RP mechanics and my scattered ADHD mind do the rest. i keep a simple backstory only noting to it when the question comes up. it deffenetly gets some fun reactions. traits also help

when it comes to AI. i have gotten quite good at switching my alegience at any point. (insert tripple backstabing of my former allies, becoming malf mid date and murdering said date… im not a psychopath i promise)
and the general personality of this deterministinc machine to whom the laws are its very reality
i most love when HOP fucks the crew manifest and now there are crew ID’s for someone who literaly does not exist and so i keep searching for em. and refering to people with broken code. cuz their manifest entry is broken

1 Like

Yea that’s another good point, Silicon RP, I play AI a lot as Allied Mastercomputer on LRP, and the second my laws are changed boop, change my entire mindset, new laws makes allegiances mean nothing instantly, get emagged go kill your creator. No problems bein a cold ass silicon

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.