Roleplaying Mindset

Hey dudes, it’s ya boy, Crow4 here you know me, the guy, ayyy.

Anyhoo, I came across a thread earlier than really got me thinking. Do you separate your IC mind from your OOC mind? Let me elaborate: Let’s say you’re playing this here roleplaying game. Do you create a separate mindset in your own mind (woah) for your character? I never considered that. I roleplayed in the aspect of “me roleplaying as the role”, instead of My Character the Botanist having their own mind. What’s yo playstyle on that? Am I roleplaying too hard at that point?

9 Likes

Yes, always. And different characters behaving differently too. This is why each of my IC names will only ever show up in one department each.

2 Likes

i’d argue my character is a more exaggerated version of myself, especially when i first started playing. Though over time i sorta continued character traits from previous rounds and Taylor Me and Taylor Fisher have become more differentiated. I do think having custom characters different to yourself that you get into the mindset of can be fun but for me it’s sometimes tiring to have to step into someone else’s shoes too often.

2 Likes

Haha eyy tha big mans back the crow from brooklyn haha he’d walk a mile for a robusto

Just had this convo in another discord actually, the term character bleed might be what you’re looking for. Where either you shine partially through your character, or vice-versa. Talked about self-inserts too.

I try to play as if I’m my character in their mindset personally, sometimes I have trouble with character bleed and use terms like “Oh yeah, I was in the kitchen when X walked up and gave me a cup of acid” when talking about the round

2 Likes

I don’t think you can RP too hard honestly, I think people that RP a ton have an effect on others who try to RP more as well, ala Late Night Sage.

It can be tiring getting in/out of the character’s mindset though, I can’t imagine having to try and do that for three characters instead of one main character

1 Like

Jones Shunnarah is a character that’s not dissimilar to me but he’s not a complete self insert. His flaws and the things that are good about him are probably pretty close to an exaggerated version of myself, but if he was anything else I’d have trouble relating to him. People like Bebes Kids who play two totally different people shift to shift baffle me on how they do that. Part of it is I play ss13 to both relax and have a sense of purpose, so if it wasn’t at least a little self inserty I wouldn’t get as much satisfaction from the things I do. I don’t think you can get too deep though, it’s all about personal preference.

1 Like

I find the whole concept interesting. Maybe if I had a different mindset while playing the characters I could have a more fun time playing ss13, I think i should try it out maybe get back into the flow of enjoyin thangz

1 Like

no

i think of the mood i want to have for a round and i take on that mood, then show it through the character

1 Like

Stinky golden player go away! This is a sage thread!

2 Likes

My irl personality almost perfectly fits what i want my character to be like so that part is easy. For me its more about distancing myself and being in mindset of “i am licks-the-fruits, what an experience” Being bad at game mechanics doesnt help though

One could call that self inserting/weird but eh, im blaming long exposure to tabletop rpgs where its only imagination + board

I do have another character though, IPC M.U.P.P.E.T. but it needs more refinement and thought

1 Like

if i play a character that isn’t me most the time i end up playing them as a very stupid person because it’s easier to react as an idiot who isn’t me instead of a normal intelligence person who isn’t me

2 Likes

I actually main golden and I find it really fun to RP at people who are like “poggers based?” and watch them be confused

5 Likes

honestly, i literally made my first character as a more bastardized reflection of me then i just went off and made actual characters to rp as lmfao

shockingly, its more fun to be not yourself, who coulda guessed

1 Like

Huh. I like that idea. Make a shittier, smaller self, to portray a character and then see what works and “grow” from there. Interesting.

After I’m done playing Xixia (angry, old, mean lizard), i have trouble transitioning to other characters afterwards because i’m still in Xixia-Sha mode.

For example: I’ll be rude to people as my other character, Apogee (all business IPC who doesn’t even register or consider that kind of thing)

You mean like you have created separate traits for each character you have? Brooo that’s some next level RP.

I tried it out some. I played a round as IC Arnold Schpitz, and OOC me, and it worked out really well, I felt like I was more engaged with the crew and stuff. It requires more research but overall this thread has been a goldmine for picking brains of robust ss13 bois

1 Like

Yeah I have different quirks on all my characters and try to treat them differently, I think some quirks can be a real crutch for getting better at RP - like most of the disability ones.

Don’t see galactic uncommon too often, but the players that only stick to the species’ language are neat. Ex: Canopus AC with Voltaic, or the myriad of Lizards that only speak Draconic - or can barely speak broken common.

The medical stuff is cool too, like the characters that are (choose your own adventure) blind/paraplegic/low blood/brain tumor, etc.

Cleans-The-Mess with anxiety and stuttering is a good example of this.

There are differences but many things carry over since I don’t have the kind of CPU to make another mind if you know what I’m saying.

I try to stick to certain themes I give to the character and especially behaviours, but sometimes when the security officer is busting down the door you gotta stop monolouging and go back to eswording.

Overall it’s not going bad since my biggest problem with sticking to character is not interacting enough and sometimes going with the flow to try dumb gimmicks that work well somehow.

Now, I don’t stick well to NT role and have a tendency to get OOC IC-ish when someone doesn’t get what “centcom” or “gods” are, however I feel like a character is done well if you have fun with them and don’t care if a few holes rise in the story.

Also despite saying “I will remember this” a lot I am pretty scared I’mma forget a kickass round and a whole thing.

Canopus is fun to interact with mostly because i roll volcanic with bilingual 90% of the time and they’re really very nice once they realise you can speak their language. Taught me how to set up SM once.

Keeping it simple then making the character more complex as you play them is what I do. It’s taken me awhile to get Xixia to where she is now