Rkz admin app 2

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):
rkz

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):
rbmkz

How often are you online to help? (Timezone):
Eastern Standard Time. As with the last app, I am most available between the hours of 4pm-2am

What changes, if any, would you bring?:
I really actually enjoy monotonous clerical work like player reports, those were pretty fun. I’m also interested in looking at moderators tools and seeing if I can streamline or improve them for other staff if possible. The experience in code and in-game can be vastly different, and I think it will give good perspective.

How old are you?:
19 y/o

Why do you want to be a moderator?:
I was recommended to by a friend, maybe several.

I was told there was a staff shortage and was looking to offer a hand.

Seeing as I now can code a damn, as opposed to that poor bastard, it still hasn’t changed my view.
I’ve sunk a lot of hours into playing or writing code, I’d like to give back in other ways.

How long have you been playing SS13?:
7/30/2020 I played fulp the first time, playing there for around 2-3 months or so before migrating to bee. I have about 100 hours on Fulp, though I havent exactly checked in 2 years.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
I have 1449 hours as of today, September 28th.
I first joined exactly 3 years ago, on September 29th 2020.
88.6% of my combined hours are spent living

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):
4/10

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:
I have experience moderating barotrauma and some minecraft servers, though this experience ranges from 5 years to 10 years ago.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
I do not

Your strengths:
I don’t really have a sleep schedule. I’m liable to be awake when all the Euros and Americans have gone to sleep. This is unlikely to change any time soon.

I’m also very familiar with community. I would go as far to say nearly all staff know me in some way

Your weaknesses:

I probably don’t look like it, but I definitely seek affirmation. Confrontation can sometimes really upset me, especially if it’s from people I trust. I’m leagues better than I used to be in that regard, but I still consider it a personal flaw.

Also, I tend to shitpost quite a bit and suck at reading the room. I believe I’m improving in this, however.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
People I don’t know I can blow off pretty easy when I can tell they are trying to get a rise out of me, but people I have a personal connection with I am much less capable of handling my emotions.

Transphobia and Racism, I really don’t like either.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
Patience.
I plasmaflooded at 2 hours on fulp because I didnt know how to wrench down a canister. That admin could have easily thought I was a griefer, and I would not have had a history playing this game. Patience will always be an important thing to have, in my experience.

What makes a staff team good?:
Same as the first app. Cohesion.

Everyone in the staff needs to follow hierarchy as a river of information, not like some personal fiefdom. Not listening is a good way to breed resentment and tear a team apart.

I think if a team has, at the minimum, that, it will remain healthy and be able to respond to changes as they come along. Not have giant schisms like some F13 servers.

What is a staff team’s purpose?:
Two focuses mostly, Moderation to temper gameplay and limit unsafe behavior, and being a DM who will make the game more enjoyable for players.

What kind of player are you?:
I like pushing the limits of the code, whether in unique designs or gimmicks using underutilized mechanics.
I’ve never been particularly ‘good’ at RP, so my main focus for the past year has been bringing code from other codebases I’ve heard Bee players request.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
I would likely restrict myself entirely from headroles and just play Engineer. Im more free to play, but also respond if something comes up that needs admin intervention.

For my mannerisms, I think I’ve been able to behave a lot more and not be an ass, so I will continue that. More professionalism going forward.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:

1. Check antag datum. If appropriate antag, ignore.
  2. Bwoink, inform him that unique items are not to be sent through the void.
  3. Check history for this behavior. Escalate punishment accordingly. At the minimum a note.
  4. Depending on the circumstances, I would probably let him eat the IC consequences of it too, whatever they may be.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:

Presumed griefer. Immediately Ajail.
Check his say logs and actions on pipe devices.
His punishment is highly dependent if he just messed up the mixer, or if he actually rerouted Distro with a RPD.

A perma “explain on forums” is definitely in the question, but its dependent on his hours and what he says.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

Hilarious.
Cursory note and hours check. Let him know how he fucked up, if Dchat hasn’t started doing so already. Most chemists already know why they messed up.

10 Likes

Hey there! Thanks for applying again!

You’ve been an admin before, so I’ll ask you some weirder questions and I’ll go through your history while you answer them:

1. At what point would you say does roleplay justify breaking SOP or space law? How about antagonist objectives?

2. What is the difference between griefing and self-antag? The difference between griefing and being an antagonist?

3. What are some examples where a non-security, non-antagonist, member of the crew can kill someone without breaking any rules?

1 Like

Generally, regular crew are not held to SOP or Spacelaw by admins. It is usually expected that heads and security are enforcing SOP on their subordinates and handling crimes.
In most instances of crew breaking these, the focus should be on their head of staff who isn’t organizing them correctly. This doesnt mean an eye shouldnt be kept on the offender however.

I’d say SOP and Spacelaw can be bent or broken under threats against life, or when imminent bodily harm is likely.
For example. I would not enforce SOP on a CMO and Geneticist who are mass-handing out space adapation mutators during a blob event, even if it directly breaks SOP.

I dont think theres a scenario where a antagonist can necessarily break their objectives. A traitor with a kill objective doesnt have to follow them. Obviously this is much different for say, a cultist or romerol zombie being converted then playing “friendly antag”

A griefer typically arrives with the sole intention to grief on a low hour account with no prior history. It is a griefers goal to cause the most disruption (typically loss of life) in a short a period as possible before admins can intervene.

Self-antags occur much more naturally, usually a failure to follow escalation policy. While they can include loss of life, most instances Ive seen of self-antag are crew(especially security) utilizing traitor gear instead of stashing it.

Blowing up medbay to cause the most amount of harm, versus strapping a bomb to your chest and yelling “Viva la Revolucion!” and blowing up your target in cargo with DAGD.

Some antags may spawn with an objective that allows them to murderbone, what should set them apart is actually following their objective. For instance, having a target and DAGD is a good justifiable reason to cause mass amounts of damage.

Your job as a antagonist is to move the round through your actions, if the stars align for you to cause destruction, go for it. It should be at the benefit of the scenario your character is in however, and not to see how many people you can put in dchat.

There are about three.

1. Properly followed escalation procedure
  2. Delta-level threat, or Red-threat with no security
  3. Voluntary borging, technically

If you are properly following escalation procedure, and its gotten to the point where the individual is still attempting to gain entry after sec is called, he is stunned and pushed out, and given a good whacking. Then yes, although, at this point security should be seriously interviewed because they are either slacking off or dead.

If the crew is under a delta-level threat, it is reasonable for them to kill nukies and the like.
Similiarly, under threat of aggressive pirates, Hijack Traitors, and changelings, it is acceptable for normal crew to put effort into killing or diverting them if a security team is not present. A reasonable character would have such a reaction.

Im including borging, because it is technically a crime that can be escalated to admins under Dont be a Dick. If someone from medbay just nabs a secoff and borgs him, then thats not good.

John Greytide walking up to robotics and asking to be a clownborg or whatever is fine

Good answers, I can’t really give much of a response since a lot of the stuff I asked for is fairly subjective, but I will say that acting in-character is a good reason for bending IC constraints. I also forgot about borging people when I asked the last question, good catch.

I didn’t see anything especially eye-opening after going through your history on this server, so I’ll abstain from this vote, mostly out of concern about your previous demotion. I’ll differ to people who know this stuff better.

±0

T: 0

Way too busy to do anything significant admin wise atm.

I’ll just throw a +1 because they’ve shown they’ve grown from their last run as mod, or at least I hope so.
They are also a contributor and have done fine on the codebase working with others, which is a token of confidence in my opinion.

T: +1

2 Likes

Hi, Im still open to answering questions if anyone has any.

3 Likes

Alrighty, apologies for letting this sit for so long.

After internal discussions taking your past history in to account we have decided to *accept this application.

Welcome to the team!

Accepting at T: +1

1 Like