Revert power cells + chargers + tools

Old tools + cells were visually distinct and easy to identify. Even as a complete noob you could easily tell what each tool was supposed to be at a glance, and they fit with the other sprites. New tools are a total mismatch with the /tg/ background, when I first saw them I genuinely thought you ported them from Eris. They don’t match and frankly the power cells are just an eyesore, mushy blobs of color with no clean edges.

I can distinct them easily, because i already spent some time looking at them.
And they ARE currently a mismatch, until you realise that its the start of a total resprite project led by some folks at bee, which will unify the sprites of the game under one coherent style. I like new tools more, and i cant wait until their work is finished.

Pretty much what barrelbox said, Azlan wants to resprite every department and their equipment, right now there’s a PR on github respriting engineering but it didn’t get merged or testmerged yet.

If you’re going to resprite the whole game, why do it piece by piece? That could take actual years depending on community involvement and in the meantime it will look like shit. Just sprite things behind the scenes or copy Eris’ sprites, since that’s essentially what’s being made anyways

I mean, as far as im aware the tools pr in particular was made to showcase the actual work being done, but.
If they ARE going to roll it all out piece by piece its gonna be easier to collect feedback in time and gauge progress.

Yeah, I saw that. He praised the Yog canister design on that PR too… and anyone who’s played Yog knows how blurry and weird their canisters look. The art style he’s using looks nice with a single color background but when you make a whole game out of it it looks(imo) very soulless and clean. Basically, you need to fill in the gaps:

Tg graphics are simple and janky enough that you use your imagination to fill in the gaps, like dwarf fortress.

Lifeweb graphics are really gritty and detailed, so it uses that to fill in the gaps.

but the eris style sprites just look boring, nice but boring. They’re perfect clean hallways with buttery smooth, rounded corners and everything is well shaped and not janky at all. In real life things are janky. Every hardsuit shouldn’t look badass. Every piece of clothing shouldn’t look cool. Every tool shouldn’t look like a perfectly crafted precision instrument. It’s almost less realistic than the TG sprites, like it enters the uncanny valley of realism.

Oh yeah also the yog canisters look really blurry in game for some reason, not crisp at all, and in a bad way like they were resized badly. Probably has to do with the feathering on all the angled parts that are introduced in that perspective.

Just my opinion.

Like where he said he wanted to improve the CMO hardsuit because it looked dumb: it should look dumb. It’s the chief medical officer’s hardsuit, it has shitty protection values, and he’s just some scalpel pusher that shouldn’t be using it anyways. If you make it look badass you’re making it inherently aesthetically desirable and fucking up the whole visual language of the game, which uses “looking badass” to signify that something is BETTER.

Translation, “I can’t read.”

Even as a complete noob you could easily tell what each tool was supposed to be

Translation, “I can’t read.”

Translation, “your art is so bad people have to use the tooltip to figure out what the fuck it’s supposed to be”

3 Likes

You know this was voted on right? You saying something on the forums isn’t going change anything.

yes i’m sure the catboy bathhouse you call a discord server is a representative sample of your server population and you definitely will not lose subscriber by turning the visuals into a busted mutation of eris and tg sprites

2 Likes

You need to be verified on the discord to even get into the server though. By having our votes on the discord there should be no reason why people shouldnt be voting. And if you really care about the changes there is a github, you shouldnt be complaning now.

lol you don’t need verification. i have never entered the discord server and im able to play just fine

1 Like

I’ve been using the tools and parts for a while and I’m still having issues visually identifying them.

1 Like

Necro bad