Reverse Garbage Magic (And other magical things maybe!)

Hello!

I was playing as a roboticist on Fland… I think?
And I got my mail delivered DIRECTLY TO ME trough the garbage bin!

What?!

How do you do this??

Also, I’ve been learning a lot everyday. And everyday I find out something incredible.

For example, I learned today that you can have those roler beds from medbay on your inventory and put them out whenever you want to carry somone FAST and without bleeding out!

If you don’t know this Reverse Garbage Hack I described, what other thing could you share that you don’t see people use that often (or a super useful wellkept secret)?

This could help me and other people new like me!

Cheers!
Odessa.

3 Likes

If I remember correctly in order to send mail through the disposal system you just need to wrap your chosen mail in wrapping paper and use a destination tagger to label where you want it to go. Then you just chuck your package in the trash and hope for the best.

1 Like

Not at all relevant to your question, but this seems a good a time as any to both warn and welcome you.

This is the honeymoon period. The sample of crack.
You’ve been hooked on SS13 and you will never be the same again.

In time, you’ll have learned so much that you’re able to teach others how to play this game, and yet still be learning new things every day at the same time, asking yourself how you haven’t stumbled upon that information yet in your 1200 hours of playtime.

But eventually… eventually something clicks, and makes you think back to how great things were when you started, during that honeymoon period. You realize the game isn’t as good as it used to be, and you put on rose-tinted glasses. You fool yourself into believing that the game has been ruined by something or another that has been added since you started. “The game used to be so much better before X”. “X ruined this game”. And yet you keep playing, and somehow still stumbling on new things at least weekly. Perhaps even coding or adminning at some point. And you live the rest of your days chasing a high you can never experience a second time because SS13 can never be completely new again.

Glad to have you along for the ride, and welcome to this wonderfully magical, and yet terrible curse of a game.

12 Likes

Within cargo, there’s a spot that connects to disposals where trash ends up.
You bring your crate, locker, container or item of choice there, and wrap it with packaging paper. It’s the brown paper on the table.

Afterwards, there’s another thing that looks like a taping tool. It actually sets the location of a packaged item to end up in if sent through disposals.

2 Likes

First off

Damn, Ruko, you really had to put that into words that bluntly so I’d have to reflect about myself uh? :v
At least mention how this is around the point people’s roleplaying and gimmicks start ramping up in quality as a positive note!

As for the main post, the disposals thing has been explained. You can even modify how the system works (it’s not magic), by removing your floortiles and using a destination tagger on the disposals sorting manifolds (the ones with arrows).

Alot of the game is wack. The starter guide on the wiki was a god send for me starting out. Then you do learn things by playing the game, don’t be afraid to ask people how they did something, IC or with LOOC!

If you have specific questions like this, forums help, so does discord. If you want to learn random stuff, you can either observe a round as a ghost and follow around people who seem more knowledgeable in the game, or go read random threads and chats on the forums and discord. The daily mentor facts thread is fun, if a bit forgotten sometimes, but also mentor applications are a hidden FAQ.

And speaking of: in game use the mentor features. Top right of your screen, there’s a mentor tab. “Mentorwho” allows you to see if/which mentors are online, “Mhelp” allows you to ask mentors any question, and “Request Mentor Assistance” will prompt any mentors who are ghosts, to become MRats! They’ll be a little imaginary friend in game you can talk to, great for learning things new players find daunting like setting up the SM, toxins, xenobiology, but also antags with odd mechanics like heretics, and even simpler things like medbay!

Remember to take breaks, don’t let a video game impact your life, and use the mentor tab.

1 Like

it’s worth stressing that while observing, there’s an Observe verb (button/command) in Ghost tab? I think? that lets you not only orbit but see inventory and status, among other things, of the player/entity you’re observing
this might offee you clues into what equipment they usually have, where and how they keep and organize it, how fast they move, so on, so on
however, also worth noting, is that to exit said mode you need to press Observe again, that’s how I’ve been doing it at least

this tip is very important
even with hundreds of hours into the game, I haven’t played a CMO before, and in a recent round I was promoted to an acting one after the original one had to cryo
it would have been a good idea to have used the mentor features, if I had only thought of it

even though you get used to a role, sometimes you might be pushed into unfamiliar situation
such is often the case with conversion antags such as blood cult or clock cult
or with other ghost antag roles, if you also do that kind of stuff
in fact this might also happen with midround antagonists or…
well, simply if you activated antag roles such as traitor, ling, etc.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I will have to try this in game and have a crack at it. If I make it I’ll feel bad for delivering mail like a chump before! Haha

As for the game itself I understand what you mean.
In one of my first rounds I chose to be an outsider (quirk) thinking it would make sense character wise and wouldn’t impact my game all that much.
Soon came to realize I couldn’t understand the world and it couldn’t understand me!
Someone gave me a PAI and suddenly the world was just the two of us!

Yesterday after writing this and going to bed, while theory crafting ways to defend myself as a pacifist I thought. “Damn I gotta do that outworlder thing again, that was fun”. But my experience would now be tainted with the knowledge I have aquired. And in some strange way being lost in this game is challenging but the thrill of discovery is even greater!

I have never tried to mess with the mentor sistem but I had a wisdom mouse to help me once!
It was one of my best experiences!

Another thing I learnt recently is how you can hide yourself in boxes by dragging yourself into them and resting. I almost always do this on the shuttle to avoid the ensuing chaos haha!

Cheers!

1 Like

The disposals system is truly a beautiful thing, with enough hours spent in cargo you can become one with the pipes and tubes of the station. You can actually combine your new knowledge of climbing into crates and mail to get a buddy to wrap and tag a crate you’re inside of, letting you get sent anywhere on the station. You can also climb into disposal outlets around the station and turn them on whilst the climbing bar progresses to ride back to the disposals room in cargo, just be careful when doing this in Virology or Xenobiology because it’ll shoot you into space.

2 Likes

I usually do that “go gadget go!” On the garbage bing hahaha. However once I was without light and got lost. Got sent to lavaland I think? A monster gnawed my face off. Was fun hahhahaha

Iterating on this, it really clicks when you open the code.

Maybe you’re just trying to check something, maybe you just want to know what it’s like in there. But the first time I opened up the game’s sprite sheet, I had this crushing realisation that this is all that there was to discover. There was no grand secret, there was nothing behind the locked door on lavaland, nothing hidden away in the deepest corners of space. What I had was all I would ever have.

And then I realized that was never the point. It was never about discovering everything, knowing everything, being able to win every fight and solving the game. It was about the ride you went on, and what you learned along the way. Or at least, that’s what it was for me. So I just kept going.

And in 2600 hours, I haven’t regretted it once.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I’m defiantly still in the learning mechanics stage, intentionally so, but this is the entire reason I play bee, not TG, not CM. As Rimworld’s Tynan puts it; his game is a “story generator.” it’s not designed to be gamed, or min-maxed. The same is absolutely true of Bee. The “game” is just a platform for the story generation. Sure the game on its own is fun, and you can spend a lot of time just interacting with game mechanics, but that’s a slippery slope that ends in burnout apron mastery of said mechanics. The real lasting power of SS13 is the character interactions.

2 Likes

Wait, you can send entire lockers or crates through disposals, AND have them sent to specific rooms?

This opens a world of possibilities for the lockerops gang

1 Like

Why of course:

1 Like

I am now going to tree powers activate.

No wait! My idea is not to min max!

It’s useful stuff for me and others to try out!

Like just knowing it’s possible for me to experiment.

Like, as an ethereal the medbay never has blood for me. So I learned you can draw your own blood with those IV stand thinggies by clicking on them and toggling so they turn red!

Hihi

1 Like

Funfact! You can skip wrapping the mail individually and just destination tag the mail itself! Makes the process super fast and easier.

2 Likes

Now this is epic. Gonna try it out next time I’m on cargo!

I have another thing I haven’t quite tested but it’s interesting nonetheless!

Sugar gets you high time express to sleepy town. I’ve only tried this when I was a bee so I’m unsure how it could be applied to more human based nefarious deeds but I intend to test it out soon :smiling_imp:

If you ever play as a shaft miner :

Fulton

There is an item called “Fulton Extraction Pack”

As any miner should know, using this on anything that isn’t anchored and/or below a roof tile will send it to a beacon you’ve linked it to (this may include yourself. Careful it will drop any item in your hand)

The magic trick is to do this while you are in a locker/box. It’ll transport anything in the box including you and won’t leave you stunned for a long while like when you do it normally.

Armor

You can kill goliaths and use their plates to reinforce both your main armor and hood up to three times each.

1 Like

I knew of those two items except the magic trick!

Ive had to use the folton because of blue space stuff going on with the shuttles so they became useless, the only way to mine was to throw ourselves into space and fulton!

I will try this box thing for sure! If anything sounds like a good prank? Cheers!

1 Like

I have failed to weaponize sugar.

I am extremely dissapointed.

Will now move on to try and weaponize my own blood.