Remove EOTC from Space Law

I think they more so meant the fact that sec is either forced to give someone with a full inventory of blatantly syndicate items 5 minutes of brig time at most because they havent commited any other crimes… or they just dont care and still execute EoTC.

But I do agree, there is no point for “Grand Theft” or “Murder” to be in space law because either way the person in that case is either a EoTC or will be banned.

3 Likes

It shoundlt be forced with poor ruling, it should be encourged in other methods. We also allow assistnats to have toolbelts even if that counts as powergaming

removing what is essentially a free pass to kill antags is not poor ruling. Its not rocket science to entrust sec to use better judgement and not freely execute people “because EOTC”

2 Likes

A discussion not far from this was already going on so I’m gonna toss my take on this problem out there

EOTC should remain in space law and also remain a capital crime punishable by death, but security should not be looking for any available excuse to label someone as EOTC

If someone has contraband from the syndicate, they are not EOTC - they have contraband.

If someone is breaking and entering and you find that they have contraband… they are still not EOTC. They have simply committed two crimes.

If someone is a witnessed changeling - They are an enemy of the corporation and should be executed immediately due to the extreme danger they pose and the deceitful tactics they are known for.

TL;DR

EOTC should require hard proof or admission. If neither of these exist, antagonist gets another chance even if it’s rather obvious from a meta standpoint what they are.

• Other capital crimes can warrant execution and be processed for (though attempted murder should be removed from capital imo, because any assualt can easily be classified as “attempted murder”)
  • Permanent sentences can be carried out for repeat offenders
  • Escapees of perma can be executed
5 Likes

To counter the meta-knowledge of somebody being comitted capital crime, They must be EOTC, we can just simply state normal people can commit capital crimes to curb it

Of course normal people can commit capital crimes. Do you know how many greenshifts ive seen where deadly viruses get unleashed, medbay gets maxcapped and people are getting murdered and thrown into space? Its a lot.

2 Likes

My personal opinion is adding more shit like brainwash, hypno, etc(or making them cheaper/more accessible). and maybe a smidge more TC so basically you can brainwash some poor fucker, equip him and let him loose.

Doing this would make sec really have to investigate and carefully evaluate whether a person is brainwashed or the real deal. Doubly adds capacity for people to fake it by buying a cheap weapon for a hit or whatever.

This however works best if we make it way harder to tell if brainwashed/whatever.

2 Likes

“it’s not roleplay-friendly for the megacorporation to be hostile towards skinwalking aliens, rival saboteurs, destructive wizards, seekers of eldritch power, and dark cults!”

this is what i hear.

its more of
“its not roleplay friendly for security to instantly assume someone is an antagonist using metainfo(only antags do crime because everyone else doing it gets banned) then be allowed to immediately execute them under almost-valid entry in the space law.”

7 Likes

most of security does the capital crime, “murder” by killing valids without authorization but who is there to perma them…

5 Likes

society

But I don’t think it should be removed, because i still think it has it’s place in law. When i say that i do not mean traitors that were caught with sm shard containment boxes. I mean for whenever you end up arresting a heretics or changeling you’re left with a dilema. You can’t put them in perma or parole as they’re still an active threat that could break out with minimal hassle or kill another crewmember as they do not have a one time purchase of gear such as traitors do.

Maybe a solution would be to clarify on what “To act as, or knowingly aid, an enemy of Nanotrasen.” really means. A whole host of interpretations can be made on such a vague sentence.

wooo my mute’s over

the whole problem with the metaknowledge about who’s a traitor and who isn’t is because crew simply can’t commit crimes without facing a permaban. in my opinion, admemes should be at least a little more lenient about what’s “self antag” and what’s just playing the game.

2 Likes

To allow that there’d have to be more conflict built into the game, as is most of what’s “self antag” is just being a dick for the sake of being a dick.

e.g. megafauna are fought as teams, who must share loot. Or money could be made to actually be scarce and matter to allow for muggings, stuff like that.

1 Like

i would personally love it if money actually fuckin mattered. more things should be reliant on money. of course, this doesn’t just matter on in-game mechanics but also from people doing at least a little roleplaying

if you’re reading this, maybe try charging people for food and drinks as a bartender/cook, or as a scientist try and get grants from heads or centcom, or maybe as a security officer use fines instead of brigging for low-level crimes like theft, or as a medical doctor solicit heads for funding to get free healthcare (and if they don’t, charge people who come in that don’t need immediate medical attention. don’t got the money? guess you’re not getting your lube, clown)

3 Likes

Yeah the economy in this game is one thing desperately in need of fixing.

1 Like

Or self antaggers are like “Fuck security and the rules, Shitcurity is too annoying, restricting, and turning all the rounds into a greenshift, Fuck the rules, I want to make them pay and suffer” Did i also mention shitsec have the highground in Ahelps?

1 Like

in order for an economy to exist, there has to be scarcity of item availability; sacrifices will have to be made to how easy it is to obtain stuff. Prices in vending machines will have to be jacked up, and the excess of certain items being available (such as basic tools, which are printable in both departments that actually need them) will have to be toned down

God, I hope we don’t become like tg’s doing cargo bounties for bounty cubes

1 Like

Ruko my self managed portfolio has a positive alpha and I took a good few econ classes in HS… I understand that the economy in game will need scarcity to make things valuable. My statement was that it needs fixing.

Fuck yeah, step one is to remove all tools outside tool storage, and only put the most basic of tools in there, then remove autolathes from the public, all tool vending machines need to go, and somehow encourage the bartender and cook to request payment for food.
Maybe by not paying them a salary, and forcing them to depend on payment from crew.
Then remove most public clothing and anything not already in a vending machine, its so weird how there are just lockers with clothes inside, and people just use those clothes.
Make cargo important by adding all the removed public stuff into crates, so that people actually have to buy their less available stuff from cargo.

Like hell that is gonna be done, people would whine like babies since they now have to talk with others to get things.