Random Factoids for a new player!

Hello Beestation! I’m still relatively new to SS13 and of course BeeStation! I’ve been learning lots throughout my rounds and through discord. But there’s so many random facts in this game and I’ve been dying to know some random ones.

Even bare basic ones such as Water and Potassium don’t mix are good as gold here. I just wanna see as many as I can!

Here’s one I know: Honey in a spray bottle. Sprayed after draping makes surgery super quick & a lot safer if going ghetto style!

2 Likes

So… this thread?

2 Likes

3 months ago lmao

There exists code that lets you cuff & buckle someone to the singularity/tesla generator

Do with this as you like.

8 Likes

You can mix plouxium, stimulum, nityl, and plasma to create a very busted reaction. Nityl and plasma are not consumed, and the amount of stim that is processed is inversely proportional to the mols of plasma. It also makes a fusion particle of which it’s vector is based on the amount of nityl, but since the nityl isn’t consumed, it creates a fusion particle beam

1 Like

It won’t close and it limits you to one post a day.

As other pointed out, that thread or discord are the best place to find them however! Personally i try to avoid the threads of random facts because in my opinion there’s also something good to gain from experimenting/seeing things for the first time. Like from something simple as knowing you can light your cig with a laser gun to a weird xenobio extract doing a rare effect!

Unless it’s something like a comodity(you can use hotkeys to change body parts, very useful as a doc!) I’d rather stay “spoiler free” hence why i’m not a fan of codediving to learn every little secret and interaction, not that is bad!

So i recommend you also keep some stuff on the dark so when you eventually see them in game you can go “WHAT!?” “WOAH THAT’S SO COOL!” 'HOW IN THE HEAVENS!?" Which i still ocasionally encounter despite playing since 2019!

But that’s just me! If you truly wish to know a lot of facts our dear mentors and others users will probably be happy to help you!

2 Likes

The basics:

Food

There’s a mechanic in the game for eating and nutrition. If you don’t eat, you’ll slow down and become lethargic, and your mood will go down in the dumps.
The best food is at the kitchen, where the chef prepares nutritional delights for the crew. You can also get junk food from the break rooms and vending machines, but they contain maltrodextrin, which makes you hungry again much faster.
That being said, only eat a single meal, like a burger, before giving yourself some time to digest the food, otherwise you’ll end up fat. When you’re fat you walk slower and the food bar that appears when you’re hungry in the top right will go grey.

Healing food

If you’re playing as security or command, donuts heal you, but only ones with the “sprinkle” chemical in them.
You can actually isolate the sprinkles in a chem lab and add them to healing serums.

Warm donk pockets (donk pockets that have been zapped in a microwave) contain a chemical called omnizine, which heals all damage types for everyone.
Similar to sprinkles, you can isolate this by grinding it up in a grinder and looking at it in a chem master! (or just… you know… Eat the donk pocket. That works too.)
Donk pockets can be found in boxes in break rooms across the station.

Janitor duty

It’s often said that janitorial duties are a great way to learn the game. It gives you a nice simple goal (clean the station) and a reason to roam around and get familiar with the different areas of the station (can you say “housekeeping!”?)

Cleaning equipment

If you want to keep things simple, grab a space cleaner spray bottle from the janitor’s closet (just ask other people for directions) or chemistry (you can get refills from chemistry, as well!). This will clean up most spills and messes and will allow you to be acredit to the station.
As time goes on and you feel like trying out more mechanics, there’s a bunch of extra tools for you to try in the janitor’s closet, anything from a special tool for replacing broken lights, to special “cleaner grenades” that are able to clean a large area really fast!

Accessing areas

If you try to walk into an area, but the door buzzes and blinks red when you try to walk through it, you don’t have access to that area. There are a few ways to get around this. I find the best method is to find a window or something, knock on it, and (if you’re a janitor) say “Housekeeping!” to the people inside. however if there’s nobody visible, follow these steps:
1- Your PDA has a text message function. figure out where you are and text staff in the current department asking to be let in so you can clean.
2- If there’s no answer on the PDA, or if you’re in a rush, you can ask the AI (Artificial Intelligence) of the station to open the door for you! (Please note that the AI is an ACTUAL PERSON. Not a chat GPT application or something. Be nice to us AI mains!)
note- there isn’t always an AI. It’s a player role like everything else.
3-If you keep running into situations where you’re stuck, or can’t get in to areas to clean, head to the HOPline (Head Of Personnel line). The Head of Personnel is your direct manager, and will likely be eager to assist you in your duties. Ask for some additional access to the various departments, and what was once locked from you is now freely accessible! (Warning: interacting with the HoP may result in awkward conversations, bureaucracy, and/or paperwork. bring a pen!)

Anyway there’s a ton of stuff in the game, and you’ll really only get a good range of knowledge by playing. Ultimately try different jobs and do what you enjoy!

Have fun!

2 Likes

Mining tips

Legion cores
These things are the bread and butter for every miner main since they heal you back to 100%, if you are on lavaland. But they will give you a debuff (a warning saying to not eat another legion core). You can keep eating them, but it will give you a virus. If you do not cure the virus you will turn you into a permanent legion (Could not find a cure).
If you do accidentally get this virus, try to eat all of the lava land plants, since one of them should have the chemical to cure to the virus.

Blood-drunk miner
if you approach him directly and stand still, it can get normal mob AI (Which will make him very slow and safe to fight)

Surviving the storm
Using the sand you can build a door and designate your local area as a living-space and it will remove the storm effects saving your life.

Crossing lava without RCD
Your bluespace shelter capsule can overwrite the lava tiles, so if you use some tools to deconstruct the walls, you could make your way across the lava lake (Definitely not towards the syndicate base).

Oh shit lava!!!
If you end up in a situation where you accidentally stepped on a lava tile, try not to panic and do not walk on another lava-tile. Every lava-tile seems to trigger its effect on stepping instantly, but standing on one lava-tile for the same duration will let you live for longer.

1 Like

Little fun and unknown fact!

If you fart and claim your character is gassy (according to their lore) people will think you’re weird!

Strange right!?

5 Likes

There’s always gonna be things that’ll shock me from experience and I do agree with your statement that learning things blind is cool!

But sometimes there’s some that’ll slip the gaps and I’d never know about em (either due to job choice or it being a very niche thing) But I had a Woah moment yesterday when I grew death nettles by mistake because the weed level in a plant was too high when I tried to mutagen hah!

There’s some shortcuts I wish I knew starting out that now I’m too stubborn to start using like:

• Shift + B = Put in hand item into backpack, or take out last item put into backpack.
  • Shift + E = Put in hand item into belt or belt slot, or take out last item put into belt.

There’s more but I’d be here for ever so here’s a slightly outdated page (Keyboard Shortcuts - BeeStation Wiki)

A more silly fact: you can breed plushies. I will not elaborate.

2 Likes

I’ll add a 4th option here, but keep in mind that doing this in-some cases as a non-antag could get you into trouble.

While there is hacking, some of the tools like [Insulated gloves] are not always available, but
getting your hands on these items [Wrench, welder, screwdriver, crowbar] is very easy and they can be used as your ghetto AA card.

Fake wall
On a normal iron wall

1. Weld it
  2. Wrench it
  3. pick up the 2 iron plates and insert them to whats left of the wall.
  4. You have a fake wall which acts like a hidden door.

Deconstruct any window
For normal window

1. screwdriver
  2. wrench

for Reinforced window

1. screwdriver
  2. crowbar
  3. screwdriver
  4. wrench
1 Like

Oh here’s a good random factoid about illicit access to places:
Medibots usually have more access than you, especially for places in the medbay, so you can grab them aggressively and just throw them at doors to open them.

2 Likes

These things are the bread and butter for every miner main since they heal you back to 100%, if you are on lavaland.

They will still give a sizeable heal while on station, but must be stabilized. You can stabilize decayed cores and they work the same way.

Legion cores are not your bread and butter unless you fight megafauna, because healing on lavaland is plentiful. The same plants that provide such great healing are also your cure for getting two cores - leafy mushrooms and fruiting cactus. The reagent name is vitrium froth. Botanists that know about it can make a pure vitrium plant that’s really good.

Shelter capsules have bandages in case you are bleeding, but in 90% of situations, cactus and shrooms are enough to bring you to 100%. Cores only have real use if fighting megafauna in which case an instant recovery can keep you alive after a fuckup. You can also use a core after crossing lava to instantly recover and extinguish.

Blood-drunk miner
if you approach him directly and stand still, it can get normal mob AI (Which will make him very slow and safe to fight)

It is not consistent, and he can still teleport away before approaching again, in which case you will eat a pka to the face. If you want to cheese the miner, do bring at least one core because he can absolutely down you before you down him without upgraded armor. Also, obviously, have an upgraded accelerator and fully use it (shot, two melee hits, shot, etc).

Crossing lava without RCD
Your bluespace shelter capsule can overwrite the lava tiles, so if you use some tools to deconstruct the walls, you could make your way across the lava lake (Definitely not towards the syndicate base).

Turf damage changes mean that you can now simply shoot and smash the walls until they inevitably give in.

Lava

If you step into lava without fireproofed armor, you are most likely dead, even from one tile. You can survive rolling if you use a survival pen, but even then you’ll be near crit. Generally, without an extinguisher or cores, you are boned. You can cross two lava tiles at most if you have a reliable way to heal afterwards, be that a core or extinguisher+pen.

1 Like

the feds dont want you to know but the captain’s pen is sharp enough to cut, gouge and gut
you’ll use it like once a year but you get to say “i did x with a pen!!!”

6 Likes

This works for all bots! :wink:
But Beepsky might be a bit difficult to use.

Close, All doughnuts heal SEC and COMMAND, the fancier the doughnut the better, Sprinkled doughnuts are on the mid tier of fancy and will do a better job than plain doughnuts, but Caramel frosted and Boston creams perform similarly if not better due to them being just as if not fancier.

If you’re mildly wounded as a Seccie, just get a plain doughnut, a lunch and go to your assigned department SEC post or Dorms to take a nap, between the doughnut, being well fed and the bed rest, you should wake up 100%.

Again, all doughnuts heal SEC and COMMAND, its just that sprinkled doughnuts do more so it’s more immediately appreciable.

1 Like

Fun ones!

• Putting 2 plushies near eachother will result in a 3rd plushie
  • Screwdriver on an airlock + Clown PDA = makes doors honk! Out of charges? slimply slip people for more!
  • Hurting but can’t find the strange pathed medibot? Eat a donk pocket, warming a donk in a microwave results in a betterdonk. No donks? Cup ramen plus any water = better ramen!
  • Somehow wound up as a chef? 1 carton of eggs and the salt and pepper shakers can whip up a dozen meals for that hungy crew in less than a minute son
  • Joon likes farts :wind_face:
  • Can drag yourself on a copy machine to copy ya ass
  • Can fax copies of your ass to departments for critique
  • Get welded in a locker? Click resist button to slam into the sides over and over
  • Welders are excellent weapons against most non humans
  • Clown got ya down? Turn him brown! Use spray tan on the clown
  • Can replace batteries in APCs with toolset
  • Only chaplain can use the incinerator, so don’t drag a corpse there and hope it’ll work (maybe cap and borgs can too not 100 on dat
  • you can connect 2 flashlights with cable coils to make flashlight eyes, they do nothing but are moderately funny
7 Likes

I think you may have misunderstood what I meant.
There’s literally a reagent called sprinkles in all donuts, it’s what makes the donut heal seccies/command.

:doughnut:

When you look down on the code from above, it takes a lot of the wonder out of the game.
Seeing the sprite-sheets and the words spread out before you tells you, silently, that that’s all there is.

11 Likes