Questions regarding new alien name rule

One thing I did once was check other servers

And we honestly by far have the most strict name policy of any MRP server, it’s basically baystation’s naming rules, which might not be fitting for MRP (especially given how even admins toe the line/even break them sometimes.)

4 Likes

With how distinct xeno names would linguistically be, the names we have basically sound like they were given by humans (e.g. plasmamen, ethereal names don’t look like real names at all. They look like human-given designations.)

A lot of xenos in a future like this working for a human corporation would plausibly assume a human name to fit in better, imo, without even saying “I was raised by humans.”

4 Likes

The naming rules have always been one of the most pointless rules on the server. What even is the point of having “Lore Friendly Names” when we barely have any lore that covers it. Why are we restricting fairly normal names just because you’re the incorrect species. It’s all a bunch of useless nonsense.

9 Likes

Admin civil war when ?

2 Likes

This is all fucking stupid let the man have his name instead of something like Bombs-The-Orphanage

6 Likes

Friendly reminder, Sage is NOT MRP; just role play.
You know what else was supposed to be just roleplay minimum?

Omg I should use that for a chemist/scientist lizard. XD

2 Likes

there’s so much shit that’s enforced “because it’s a rule” but nobody, not even the headmins, agree that it should be a rule and it’s so fucking bizarre.

3 Likes

Yeah I feel like the conventions should be a suggestion but the bare minimum should be a more or less regular human name(ie: Not john sex, etc.)

Well, as long as is not super offensive or dumb we shouldn’t have a problem on the first place… Nick dorito died for this?

3 Likes

Yeah, having a normal name that you’d see in real life should be the guidelines. Not this current ruleset where each species has their own names that they must follow.

admins forgot the golden rule

‘if its funny its allowed’

2 Likes

clowns have joined the chat

I still worry that one day i’m gonna get bwoinked because of my name and lose everything I’ve done as that character.
It isn’t offensive and it isn’t a reference but because it isn’t latin, i’m not allowed to have a name I put thought and care into making, that i’m happy with and this is probably weird or childish but makes me not want to play moff if I was forced to make it latinized.

I feel like there’s a loss of personality that other races have the freedom to express.
(personal head cannon is that moths are ditzy airheads in most cases, so why would they know and name their kids in latin? and as for OOC neither do the players, so names are meaningless at a surface level and refer to a species as a whole rather than an individual on further study.)

Would be pretty upsetting to lose the connections and impact I made on others purely because of harmless self preferences.

2 Likes

Then you should change your name before it happens. Kill off the character yourself before it gets killed off via intervention. If the name on your profile isn’t a human/felinid name, it’s wrong for your character.

“I’m going to do x until an admin stops me” is the worst approach you can possibly take to any given rule.

Thats why I’m here, putting up a fight in plain sight so that there is a chance I can avoid that fate by protesting against the convention laid out.

And no, Its the second name; Sunburnt, Sunny to those who care.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the whole point is that there shouldn’t be intervention regarding RP freedoms the player SHOULD have

1 Like

I play oozing and the name is Blub, i think this is a good name but the rules don’t allow it

2 Likes

Going to be extremely blunt:

There are plenty of other servers out there. You are free to choose which server you play on and nobody is forcing you to choose this server. You are free to complain about rules and request that they change, make a case for them to change (as this thread is doing, and with some pretty decent support) but there is no reason for you to pick a server, decide you dislike specific rules and then blatantly ignore them. How is trying to force your own view of what is and isn’t appropriate RP on the server any different than us forcing it on you except that one side owns and runs the server and the other chooses to play on it? Servers are not homogenous - just because another server does/doesn’t do something has nothing to do with us.

This is true for any rule, not just the naming policy:

• It’s true for players who think it should be IC when they kill sec for doing their job like it’s hippie
  • It’s true for antags who think they should be allowed to freely destroy anyone and anything on the station because the syndicate doesn’t care about such trivial things as murdering NT scum like it’s tg
  • It’s true for silicons that think they should be allowed to do anything their laws don’t explicitly disallow and try to rush for a racial purge any time they get Asimov instead of Crewsimov.
  • It’s true for “stifling” rules that enforce a higher standard of roleplay in one area than you’re used to conforming to.

Rules are rules. You may disagree with them and try to get them changed, but you may not opt out of following them just because you disagree with them regardless of what the rule is.

2 Likes

Laughs in borg main
That is barely the surface of what the borgs would do if they could lawyer so much.
Putting every human to permanent sleep would be the next action taken; it ain’t harm and it prevents harm!