[POLL] Do you consider shortened phrases (i.e. shitsec) to be detrimental to the game?

Title.

• Yes, these shortened phrases are detrimental to the game, and should be considered bannable netspeak.
  • I don’t know where I stand
  • Free Maggot (num 3) 2023!!!~
  • No, I believe the status-quo on this is fine at the moment

0 voters

0 voters

1 Like

We use shorthand slang IRL, and it make sense that the authority like security would be mocked the same way police are IRL. Shitsec is the 2560s version of ACAB.

3 Likes

oh shid i ment to delete the second poll

Spaceman: Get blame for a crime he did not commit pas 10 minutes in brig without processing.
Spaceman: Fucking shitcurity
Admin: that’s LRP behaviour get ban

don’t worry shitsec mains if saying shitsec gets banned I will call you terrible and horrible at your job and you suck which will hurt your stupid feelings even more because my words are knives because I’m awesome

1 Like

This is the boat I am in also. I don’t like idea that no slang at all can be used in any context, seeing as people in real life use slang quite frequently, and often times slang can even cement itself in language culture as its own separate word that lasts long into the future. so from an RP perspective, occasional slang makes sense. Shitsec isnt something you would call a police officer in real life, because we already have terms for them that work. However, Security Officers arent real cops. Space Police exist outside of the station, shown by the Fugitives Hunter spawn. That means using derogatory terms for Security that are usually fit for Police doesn’t really work as well. Shitsec might have its origins in seething assistants getting gamed on, but sometimes thats just how slang gets invented, like copper, or fuzz, or whatever other police term.

Tl;DR shitsec is good for RP

1 Like

I have to hard disagree, i only have my personal experience to share but nearly every round ive played sec or watched security, the term shitsec is almost exclusively used by people mildly inconvienced by security, and they decide they want to turn the station against security.

Ive never seen anything unify a station faster than someone yelling shitsec on comms, regardless of whether the officer is shit or not everyone automatically assumes the officer is guilty

1 Like

I suppose the question is then, would banning the word curb this behavior?

Maybe? While i say maybe i don’t think it should be bannable, I hate the phrase and everything it stands for but making it bannable just frustrates people the same way naming does, it feels like “why is this so strict?”

I think instead it’s a situation where experienced players need to be careful using it or else new players pick it up and think its a funny joke, and when they call it out everyone swarms cause “hey i know what shitsec is and how much it sucks”

(Edit cause grammar is evil and words hate me)

1 Like

If only one type of player generally uses a term, banning the term gets rid of that type of player, or even driving them to out themselves as someone here to just be a shitter.

absolutely not.

but there in lies the real problem. Its that people do not like security. the phrase shitsec is just a condensation of generally derogatory terms that would be hurled if people couldn’t say shitsec. Then they would just say “security is being shit” which conveys the same message, and would garner the same result.

True and my previous response i feel still holds up here, we have to be careful what we teach new players or we create a plague that becomes harder and harder to solve

1 Like

I mean there are literally players who exist to harass security and that is ehat they’ll do every single round, and consistently be found getting arrested. The word itself isn’t bad because there actually are some shitsec players, but on the other side of the coin are people who go out of their way to torment sec while toeing the line almost everytime you see them.

Shitsec terms aside though (getting a little off track)

I think shortened terms as a whole shouldn’t be bannable, but perhaps a bwoink if things get out of hand with them? Maybe ahelpable to let an admin keep an eye on it to ensure its appropriate

But banning the term shitsec won’t make those players go away. It just makes them change to bigger insults. The real answer is to ahelp shitters for being shitters, not for saying the anti security word

1 Like

we should remove looc and ic to leave only ooc
that will solve all chat problems

4 Likes

We should just remove chat, all of it, altogether

Yeah i mean ultimately the intent from the person saying it and also if security is actually being shitsec does matter 100%, it’s not really as cut and dry as just banning it… like even playing security you’ll quickly figure out who you end up arresting every single round is not saying it in good faith

1 Like

Join game: Open role: Mime (42)

6 Likes