Plumbing has been soft-removed. Let's talk about it

I just attempted to run a silver sulfadiazine & styptic powder patch factory.
Cartridges are wasted too fast while the station cannot even provide enough iron and glass to make them.

How come engineers do not need to babysit the SM every 5 minutes and input tons of materials into it but the chemist has to babysit plumbing all while doing an already stressful job?

6 Likes

I actually have played around with this now and I feel itā€™s still possible to achieve mostly the same efficiency that was previously achievable. On Meta you can find ~9 cartridges.

You also donā€™t need to make everything with the factory.

For example, you can reduce the amount of cartridges needed if you do just a bit of manual work. Maybe make the ammonia manually and just place it into a tank.

I actually had to use my brain for a bit and decide what chems I want to automate and what chems I wish to make manually.

I agree with Orion. Donā€™t like the change as a chemist enjoyer myself, havenā€™t even experienced it so im incredibly biased. Also Nanibyte, arguing ā€œMechanical understandingā€ with an example of something that requires mechanical understanding to be efficient is funny.

2 Likes

Okay sure. It requires mechanical understanding. But it is still easy and fast to do.

So nerf minorly. Dont ruin it. Incredibly simple.

2 Likes

You misunderstand. I want to remove it because I think itā€™s bad for the game since itā€™s a feature that encourages no roleplay. I want every feature to encourage roleplay in some way. You might say but then you would remove or change half the features. Yes. That is a different topic.

After playing around with it Iā€™m not sure if this is even a nerf. Take a Silver Sulfadiazine + Styptic Powder factory. You make your own ammonia and also input your own oxygen. Suddenly you only need a bit of manual work and 6 cartridges with should be available round start from lockers. From this you can make ~30 20+20 patches. That math may be wrong, but I think it can only be more and not less than that.

From a mechanical standpoint I think this is a great change. You can now actually show your planing skill now that there is an actual constraint to play around.

For example here is an idea. Make eye and ear medicine manually. Since it only needs 1u of each per patch you can make Brute+Burn+Eye/Ear medicine almost fully automatically.

Sacrificing mechanics that take time and effort, removing them to remove complex features in the game, simply in an attempt to force roleplay. Doesent seem good, I like more features to the game.

4 Likes

I like features that donā€™t actively take away from other features and players by making them obsolete.

2 Likes

Honestlyā€¦ The only reason Iā€™ve ever used it was for synthflesh so I didnā€™t need to babysit the cloner /husks and lets MD do gimmicky things with it if bored.
Unlike main TG branchā€¦ its really not neededā€¦ 30 min and I can make an ungodly amount of chems that will probably never be used. upwards of 200u of each the following types of chem: Basic, Advanced, Organ, Mutation, Brain & Anti-halucination

I might drain a chem dispenser butā€¦
25 Al, Hy, Ox, Sulf
Into press 4x25 or 5x20

Repeat 8 times on average each cycle taking ~10s when in the flow

You have just out made the theorised output of a factory that takes probably 5+ min in only around 2

it MAY outpace you for really annoying recipes but generally isnā€™t needed unless you go full TG med

plumbing allowed you to make 20 000 insta heal synthflesh patches 20 minutes into the round

no

2 Likes

The original reason to why the chem factories where nerfed hard is that not only it allowed a chemist to make endless synthflesh patches in 10 mins flat while also clogging all of medbay with a crapton of piping, but also because it really made medical useless. Now a good case use for them would be to make stuff like acetone or chems that would be ā€œannoyingā€ to obtain for more refined chems.

The root of the problem is how powerful our med chems are compared to conventional treatment.

Especially things like strange reagent, synthflesh and Atropine.

1 Like

just remove medical

6 Likes

I love how everyone is talking about how chems are so godly powerful and utterly delete all crew-doctor surgical and rp interaction while actively ignoring the fact that all of these problems can be fixed by simply porting wounds and fractures.

8 Likes

This 100%

Just give medical something to do ffs, I might actually play it then

6 Likes

Nobody has been ignoring that. Itā€™s actively being worked on to implement our own medical overhaul

3 Likes

1 Like

new pr idea spotted

2 Likes

because a SM is vital for the station

a factory is a luxury, that only serves to make medical worthless

2 Likes

I donā€™t think plumbing is as big of a problem as some people think it to be. If the issue is synthflesh factories, maybe consider making synthflesh not blatantly overpowered as a chem. If clogging medbay is the main issue, give chemists a room large enough to actually work in. If chemist factories ā€œmake medbay completely obsoleteā€ it really sounds like your issue is with medicalā€™s complete and utter lack of interaction to begin with and not chemists, lol. Besides at that point, your issue is the chemicals that are produced, so the easy fix is to remove chemistry entirely ig; you can make chems real fucking easy manually and still make medbay ā€œobsoleteā€ as ya say.

ez fix is to port fermichem but some oā€™ yā€™all ainā€™t ready for that conversation

TG wounds is a very good first step to make medical actually have things that you need to do, very very glad to hear this is being ported. But I donā€™t understand why removing chem factories would be a necessity if this is being worked on, then.

people roleplay on bee?

I donā€™t think mechanics should exist purely on basis of encouraging roleplay. At its heart SS13 is a roleplay game, and it is very important that roleplay is encouraged, I agree, but it is perfectly acceptable to provide mechanical depth on certain fronts. Sometimes people wanna do some crazy shit instead of primarily interacting with people, and I think thatā€™s fine honestly, as long as the former does not completely negate the latter. Hell, if you think the lack of roleplay-based mechanics are an issue, you have much much worse things to worry about (the entirety of engineering, xenobiology, mining) than nerfing chem factories into the ground.

4 Likes