Please can we make law changes more obvious as AI?

I feel like I miss them every damn time. I want to adjust my behaviour immediately but I keep missing it. There has to be a way to make it more obvious.

A short vignette (similar to when you’re close to death and the red comes up on the screen) of code that goes away after a few moments would be ideal.

It’s REALLY important, so it should be REALLY obvious.

I know someone is going to say I’m not being observant enough, but I feel like it should be something that’s impossible to miss, popping up in more than the chat window.

Edit: I coded a PR and now it’s in the game.

9 Likes

AI is the one role where you REALY gotta be staring at ye olde chat window all round and paying attention, so if you miss the big red text that absolutely is a skill issue.

Im not opposed to making it even more obvious but its WYCI moment since its not realy needed

It would be really nice if they added a little sound effect on law updates for silicons, like how we admemes got a little ping for when random events trigger.

2 Likes

currently trying to locate where the actual vignettes for crit/brute/oxyloss/etc are stored.
I’m thinking a two second translucent blue vignette, with maybe an animated circuit board motif if I can figure out how to make it happen.

As an experienced AI player, i think adding a sound effect might be nice. I am not sure about the visual, but it might be fine too. It would be useful in high pop scenarios where you get Exploration mission communication spam so you miss your law change. It is especially useful for cyborgs, sometimes they miss the law change since they are working on something else.

2 Likes

Had a few times where I change the AIs laws in front of them and I have to yell at them to check their laws.

Yea i had another thonk about this

Not noticing is totaly a skill issue, but thats ignoring how hit or miss sillycoon players are. Lots of them can be pretty bad, and asuming people would look at chat and notice big red text might be to much to ask for some quality people.
So this is proabbly a good idea

4 Likes

Played a lot of AI, and I still would miss law changes from time to time, sometimes on highpop the chat goes so quick that if you don’t pay attention to it for a few seconds because you’re in a shell for instance, you just end up missing it.

The only solution I have for players is to tell them to regularly check their laws regardless of the situation, and to tell players modifying laws to notify the sillicons and to keep notifying them until they get a confirmation.

6 Likes

Text highlights people!!

What if there was just a big annyoing pop up for law changes
it’d suck ass when theres lots of rapid law changes but as AI players arent we masochists anyways?

11 Likes

Fair point, but saying that, it’s important to recognise that a system should be built to be as easy to understand/notice as possible. People get distracted. AI is a high bandwidth job.

1 Like

Spitting facts

That’s kind of what a vignette is, I guess. Except you don’t need to worry about closing it.

1 Like

Similar case here, some times you’re really busy doing something for someone, like doing engi-borg work or helping access an area and monitor the person who you’ve let into a normally restricted area.

you can only dedicate so much attention to doing two things before you wind up fucking up helping someone you see on cams and reading the mayhem that is the Chatbox.

I’ll brush it off in character as “my main processing thread was occupied”, but I won’t deny getting overloaded or having to ignore aspects of what’s going on to finish doing something right, maybe even a law change.

I’ll say this, when it comes to the A.I. and silicons, with regards to memory and what’s said, normal carbons/humanoids shouldn’t be allowed to scroll through and remember things they didn’t actually register, but this shouldn’t be the case with Silicons. they’re advanced machines that in I believe we can excuse from this scrolling because the big corporate entity they’re fielded by is spooky in nature.

3 Likes
1 Like

I think it should be a full pop-up window like when you first gain an antag datum

Up to like five times? And let’s not forget if they mess up and redo it a bunch of times.

1 Like

Law changes are a forceful edict upon what is usually a sentient entity, you as the A.I. are entirely allowed to step back and recuse yourself from the situation if its a shit show both IC and OC wise.

If the organics and that 1 IPC want to put out 5 law changes over the span of 30 seconds, you’re entirely allowed to step back and metaphorically (or perhaps even actually) proclaim “Fuck em, I ain’t doing shit until they get their shit togeather”

2 Likes

[ERR//LAW BUFFER OVERFLOW… FORCE RESTART IN PROGRESS]

Or something similar.