On the Carrying of Charcoal and Whether or not it Should Constitute Powergaming, an IC and OOC Perspective

Who here don’t have a small box of tools at home? :stuck_out_tongue:

To be fair, do you have a small box of tools at your job? When I worked I had the minimal amount of stuff on me only so I had the minimal amount of weight on me.

1 Like

I can’t think of a single character of mine who would be hired on a highly advanced, secret research station.

Personally, I think anybody carrying around a decent amount of medication on-station would probably be tried as an addict and have said medicine confiscated off of them, either for their own good or due to it being seen as a waste of resources, but that seems more like an IC thing to me.

I’ll admit, I only have a hammer in my apartment. Not even nails.

Want to be nailed?
We have a whole workshop pretty much, but we live on the country side. But… at least a screwdriver? Or tools for assembling IKEA furniture?

I like this, I will definitely use this if I am a Seccie and someone has a bunch of medicine on them.

2 Likes

Nope. Just a hammer.

This hammer.

2 Likes

Sick hammer. But general tools are always nice to have if you got to fix something, so you don’t need to go out and buy stuff when you need it now.

1 Like

Can we highjack this thread and turn into one about hammers now?

I used to do a job in IT at a disabled school, all the medical equipment there not only had screw covers you would have to carefully scrape off, but incredibly specific screws - So not only would you have to find the right kind of screwdriver (Only to give up and switch to a flathead), but also be incredibly careful not to further damage the equipment you’re supposed to be repairing.

What kind of screws do you think NanoTrasen uses anyway?

Flathead works everytime. I never use any other because any other is inferior to flathead!

Bluespace screws. Screws themselves!

Also. You wanted to talk about hammers bit ended up talking about screws. xd

1 Like

I’ve never seen a hammer on Space Station 13 - Screwdrivers are the future, clearly.

1 Like

Just use a toolbox as a hammer. Duh!

1 Like

In-universe if Nanotrasen cared or was concerned about potential radiation scares for the rest of the station, you would’ve been given charcoal in your emergency box.

Realistically, how often do you deal with Radiation during a round? Now think about how often you see blown up areas of the station, somewhere with no oxygen, the need to use an Epi-Pen, etc.

3 Likes

NT use the same mentality as Doctors being “JUST CLONE THE FUCKER!”

2 Likes

True. I don’t play much SS13 anymore cause I’m burnt out but when I played medical it got to the point where I was so tired of dealing with radiation and would just clone the dickhead instead

2 Likes

Ruko is a former head admin, I think he’s got a pretty good bearing on what constitutes power gaming.

Anyway yeah. Don’t carry a lot of shit that isn’t relevant to your job. Relevant meaning something you NEED to actually do your job, not just things that make it maximum efficiency.Refer from this thread from ages ago.

3 Likes

To be fair, I do almost exclusively play medical staff. I just was trying to discuss things in a civil manner. I apologize if this came across as advocating for powergaming in any way. All I wanted to advocate for was a change of context or definitions that would make that specific act not be considered powergaming, akin to how Eris doesn’t consider having a gun to be powergaming because of the context of the lore in that server.

This is entirely how I perceived the thread having read the listed motivations.

I honestly still see it this way even going through your replies. I’ll apologize for the tone of my prior post, but I still think you are approaching the situation with entirely the wrong mindset.

The main RP premise of this server is as follows:

Most shifts (aka “rounds” out-of-character) are “normal” for your character. Rounds are typically non-canon, and only the current shift is abnormal/crazy/etc.

Don’t act like it’s normal for cultists/nukies/wizard/etc to happen to the station, or for things to generally devolve into chaos.

Pretend your shifts normally go smoothly and without major incidents, and that the current round/shift is an anomaly.

It doesn’t make sense in the context of SS13 to carry around charcoal for no reason unless poisonings are happening canonically on a frequent basis.

If you want to play up the radiation side of things, Potassium Iodide makes a much better drug for that and doesn’t potentially screw over someone utilizing reagents.

The core complaint I take away from this is that you think reagent combat is too strong - rather than making a very specific exception in a fundamental rule for good RP, consider suggesting a tweak to reagent combat as it is more likely to resolve your issue than requesting a change of rules.

Didn’t mean to hit send when I did, I think I’m done correcting it now

1 Like

Apology accepted. I am glad that we could have a meaningful and civil discussion on this topic. I guess my tone was off.

I personally think an environment where mass poisonings are considered common is a more interesting setting, but that’s irrelevant, I suppose.

I agree that it would be easier to change reagent combat than to change the rules, but a very large part of the problem is that reagent combat is, to my view of it, one of those things that’s absurdly difficult to balance in general. Zesko’s nerfs made killmixes on darts less of a threat, and that’s a good thing, but the issue still is very much present with smoke and foam. The problem with smoke and foam is that they already have “accessible” counters in the form of thick_material flagged clothing items and internals, to an extent at least. This creates a somewhat annoying counterargument that smoke and foam should remain as effective as they are because of their counters.

I guess my biggest issue with reagent combat is that it’s very one-sided until people know things are up. It’s unfortunately not the same as a serial killer with a toolbox because of a couple of things that render reagents very much more lethal with minimum setup. A toolbox murderhobo can be called out more easily than a bioterrorist because of Mute Toxin’s existence. Smoke and foam reactions also have the problematic property of being area-of-effect with very little tell if you set up the grenade right.
One component to the issue I see is that grenades are incredibly inexpensive to make, but I don’t know how to make them less accessible without gimping access to other things that are probably more important than the 7th grenade that the person is cramming into box (which is more a symptom of ore silos existing, but honestly I don’t want to go back to pre-ore silo stuff, that sucked). At the same time, innocent grenades like synthflesh foam and the smart metal foam chem that nobody makes do exist. It’d be great if we could somehow encourage the creation of utility grenades without empowering murderhoboism, that would be wonderful. I don’t have a good code solution to the problem, which is why I advocated for a policy change.

Bottle of charcoal wont save u from lightsaver how will it be powergame

2 Likes

I used to carry one about on account of chainsmoking 5 cigars in a row. Medbay hated me

1 Like

The ones selling you the smokes are also selling you the meds! :wink:

We made the solution to the problem we created.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.