Nordakbalrem Banned by Admin FreshMeatLover

Title: Nordakbalrem Banned by Admin FreshMeatLover

CKEY: Nordakbalrem

Admin’s CKEY: FreshMeatLover

Is this for both servers or just one? If so, which one: All

Ban Type: Banned from Roles: Ghost Roles, Non-Antagonist Ghost Roles, pAI, Posibrain, Drone, Sentience Potion Spawn, Experimental Clone, Lavaland Elite, Spectral Blade, Ashwalker, Lifebringer, Free Golem, Hermit, Translocated Vet, Lavaland Escaped Prisoner, Beach Bum, Hotel Staff, Lavaland Syndicate, Demonic Friend, Ancient Crew, Skeletal Remains, Sentient Animal, Holy Summoned

Ban Length: 2 weeks

Ban Date (MM/DD/YYYY): 12/18/2023

Round ID: 47017

Ban Reason:

Picked the lavaland syndicate role directly after they saw a miner break into the (empty) syndicate base. You literally just picked the ghost role to ruin the other person’s round, not because you actually wanted to play that ghost role.

Appeal Reason:

Rule clarification, I do not believe this falls under R7 or any other stated rule, I did not pick communication officer to ruin their round, I picked it to make it challenging, I did not expect another player to one hit them with a sniper shot.

Additional Information:

Saw that the miner was going for the Syndicate base asked dead chat if we were going to leave it undefended. Waited till they were hacking in with an RCD and spawned as communications officer. I used my Megaphone, and stated “Ye Gods, Wake up.” “I heard something” I went around the bend to see that a syndicate Scientist had shot them. Proceeded to finish them with the esword, and prepped to dismantle the bridge into the base. They then spawned as another syndicate scientist and awoxed both syndicate agents.

If preventing cheese is R7 then someone needs to just remove the syndicate base and/or remove the sniper rifles. I also feel the role banning is unjust and unfounded.

*Edit, Noticed that the player who spawned as a syndicate scientist was not banned for spawning with the sole purpose of killing us in revenge, violating both 13.2 and 14.3 Re-edit- I take this back, they were banned for this.

*Edit for grammatical error

*Edit to correct date and round

Thanks, discovered this in game client, should have looked there from the start.

I’m not sure what exactly is cheesy when trying to break into the base. That’s an IC gameplay possibility.
It’s expected for lavaland syndies to defend the base at all cost as well.

But that applies to syndies that are already spawned.
You didn’t join as a lavaland syndie, because you wanted to play as one. Play the ghost role.

You wouldn’t have joined as a lavaland syndie if he didn’t try to break in to the base.

Your sole reason for picking that ghost role was to kill and ruin the round of that miner, not because you wanted to play or roleplay as a lavaland syndie.

What they did was way worse afterwards though and is also what got them a hefty ban.

I Primarily play ghost roles. Wouldn’t defending the base be a valid reason to play the role? At the time I really only knew they were there and where they had set their beachhead. I fully presumed I would die defending. I was surprised to see them already downed when I joined the fray. The ban includes golems and posibrains. I don’t see what rule I broke here.

Edit: please note that communications officer starts with a stetchkin and esword, not a sniper rifle. Personally would like to see more variety in scientist loadouts as the sniper is a one hit kill and is quite unfair when surprised. If anything the scientist should start with stetchkins and a single sniper should be in the base armory.

It is an assumption the goal was to ruin their round, I had no malice for the player playing miner, my goal was to roleplay a defense of the base.

Edit: After reading more clearly I think I see the point you are making. While the other syndicate guy seems to have straight-up taken the role just to immediately walk up and shoot me, your story paints a different picture.

Taking the role after seeing me break in? A bit stinky, but alright I suppose. Since you were alive longer than I thought, it seems that straight up murder wasn’t on your mind, so clearly you wanted to get something meaningful out of it. It’s true that you were not the one who engaged me, only walking up to finish me off after the sniper shot, and at that point it was clear the other guy would’ve done the same anyway.

Calling people out to take the ghost roles in deadchat/yelling to wake up? A lot worse in my opinion. If your intentions were just to bring a group together, I can see it, but on a meta level it sounds a lot like “hey guys free valid here”, which seems to be exactly how your fellow syndie man interpreted it, based on his subsequent actions (ie, immediately rushing the vault and sniping).

Subsequently discussing making the body unrecoverable was also quite ugly, and it was this specific moment that made me snap and take the third spawn - recognizing that the intent seemed to be complete round removal.

Overall, despite how upset I am over the situation, after reading your side of the story I am willing to believe that you had no bad intentions, since the other player took most of the initiative. Thus, I sincerely apologize for the subsequent revenge kill. Whether that means anything to you, I do not know.

1 Like

“Calling people out to take the ghost roles in deadchat/yelling to wake up? A lot worse in my opinion. If your intentions were just to bring a group together, I can see it, but on a meta level it sounds a lot like “hey guys free valid here”, which seems to be exactly how your fellow syndie man interpreted it, based on his subsequent actions (ie, immediately rushing the vault and sniping).”

Much more of a sound the alarm rp thing, And me discussing leaving it undefended was well before you were in the base, it was shortly after your Hierophant battle when you threw the shelter capsule.

“Subsequently discussing making the body unrecoverable was also quite ugly, and it was this specific moment that made me snap and take the third spawn - recognizing that the intent seemed to be complete round removal.”

This was the other player. I was more concerned about dismantling the rcd bridge in. Normally taking out a miner at the base results in escalation and results in sec/cargo/AI response. If you hadn’t wrecked the TCOMs and respawned in to shoot me, I would have likely tried ransoming the body provoking further escalation.

“Overall, despite how upset I am over the situation, after reading your side of the story I am willing to believe that you had no bad intentions, since the other player took most of the initiative. Thus, I sincerely apologize for the subsequent revenge kill. Whether that means anything to you, I do not know.”

To be honest, I was just shocked you did that. I can understand being upset. As said above, I think the biggest issue with the base is the scientist spawn weapon, an assortment of weapons including a sniper should be in the cargo/armory not in their hands on wakeup.

EDIT:

“Much more of a sound the alarm rp thing, And me discussing leaving it undefended was well before you were in the base, it was shortly after your Hierophant battle when you threw the shelter capsule.”

Just to be clear, this was said in deadchat, not when I spawned, I did in fact take comms officer after you had broken in.

1 Like

First of all, a bit of forum advice. You can use > at the start of a line to make quote blocks that look like

this

That aside:

From your post, I know now that you were not the encrypted signal that I saw. I would not be upset about a lurking syndicate member killing me for intruding. And, in fact, after reading this, I no longer believe you were in the wrong at all, since you claim you were intent on the syndicate spawn long before any of this happened. Taking the spawn after I came in is still meh, but you were not the one who rushed and sniped me. This is best left to admin judgment.

What made me truly angry was seeing the signal spawn on my gps as I was welding the vault, which was followed by the guy rushing in and sniping, then, as we’ve established, bringing up making the body further unrecoverable. I think I don’t need to explain why this is extremely frustrating, moreso than anything I’ve seen in my time here prior.

I think the biggest issue with the base is the scientist spawn weapon, an assortment of weapons including a sniper should be in the cargo/armory not in their hands on wakeup.

I think this is an entirely separate issue, but I do agree that a one-tap weapon is a bit busted on any role. It would’ve been nice to actually be able to run away after this guy spawned on me, but one shot was all it took to take my leg off and leave me on the floor, stunned. As for my opinion, I do not think the snipers should spawn at all. Stetchkins and eswords are already capable of putting up a fair fight, especially with lots of ammo. This is however a tangent.

To be honest, I was just shocked you did that. I can understand being upset.

I will apologize once again. If everything you said is true, then it seems you were caught up in this simply by taking the same role as the actual offending player. Since I lacked observer knowledge, I lumped the two of you together by assumption, even though it seems you were far more reasonable. :no_mouth: (And yes, I know that my retaliation was wrong. I will not downplay it or try to appeal, but I am truly sorry that it also affected you.)

2 Likes

Never fun to be round ended for no reason. But I don’t think it would have been round end if things had followed their logical conclusion, I have no idea why he wanted to dispose of the body when escalation was still viable, our headsets were still working.

Might as well bring this up here regardless, as our developers do read ban banter.

The sole reason for including the sniper rifle is to pick off players across the moat from the terrace. An assortment of weapons in cargo/armory would make for better gameplay and not including at least one sniper leaves them unable to use the terrace for defense and not having said sniper in hand on spawn prevents the sort of unwanted play that occured.

Well enough said, might as well ask for a reduction on the time. Mistakes happen.

2 Likes

Well enough said, might as well ask for a reduction on the time. Mistakes happen.

While I am thankful that you feel this way, I think the ban was entirely justified and will simply wait it out. Thank you for the discussion too. Hopefully you are the one who gets a reduction.

2 Likes

Personal perspective:

I’m actually totally OK with what Nordakbalrem intended to do. It seems like their intent was to spawn in and give the miner a slight challenge, not to just hop on and own-zone them. I think that is an excellent use of ghost roles and I’ve got no issues with someone spawning in the syndicate base late, provided they’re only offering slight resistance and aren’t there to act as a brick wall.

What I think ended up happening was that the call to action was taken way more seriously than it needed to by other parties and things very quickly got out of hand before it even really had a chance to get started.

The end goal for all of this is to have fun. Thus, the objective here should have been to generate some creative resistance to the miner’s efforts without going so hard that you take them out completely. That way you get to have fun messing with the miner and they get to have fun overcoming your resistance. The objective shouldn’t actually be to outright kill the miner.

Full disclosure, I was not in the round so I can’t claim to have seen how everything played out. This is just my perspective based on the multiple sides presented here.

From what I could tell ingame was that the miner was pretty much sniped instantly with one of the snipers the syndicate lavaland scientists spawn with, then instantly finished off with an e-sword. Following that the two wanted or at least thought about also throwing the miner into the lava.

I definitely think the “everyone should have fun” went out the window here.

Going to look into this a bit later and pull the logs to see how much of the killing was actually coming from you.

if i may. i didnt instantly snipe them ( i was the syndicate person with the sniper in this encounter) i told them to basically leave in a rude way and waited they backed off and came back attacking with the hiero staff. i backed off a bit and aimed and shot them once, critting them . the other syndi then came up and finished them off.
i am not defending my actions here by the way or ask for the punishment to be undone or anythign the like.

I most certainly didn’t ‘come back attacking with the hiero staff’. I started running off immediately and used it once or twice on the way. No intent to engage further. Then I got sniped in the medbay room.

it seems i miss interpretent this then. i only saw you run away and 2 hiero crosses happenign without seeing you and i took this as you wanted to fight and not disengage.

There’s no point fighting someone who wins by clicking you once, both IC and OOC it would be a suicidal move to stay.

But I get it tbh. Trying to kill a fully armed guy with just the club is not the funniest thing I’ve seen people try, so I’ll take your word that you thought I was looking to fight.

I want to pitch in just to highlight that the radio agent does not get a sniper rifle, only the scientists do.

I can’t speak for intents or anything else in hard terms, but it’s hardpressed that anyone taking radio comms agent wanted to OHKO when they don’t get the tools for that - just stechkin (which is stronger than it often gets credit for, but not anywhere near sniper) and esword.

Alrighty.

So there’s a decent bit to unpack here. Your logs:

That is pretty much all there is to this. You do have two pages full of just slashing Perished with an e-sword afterwards, but they were in crit at that point already.

There aren’t enough logs here to say “this was your mindset” so I’m taking your word on this.

On lavaland you are pretty much dead if you are critted anyways, so I wouldn’t hold you really at fault here. You didn’t get the chance to actually interact with perished before they were critted already.
And reviving them doesn’t really make IC sense either from that point on. You obviously can do it, but not something that I would hold you accountable for.

The main issue here was the interaction between wueue and perishedfraud.
You should pick a ghostrole to roleplay as said ghostrole. Roleplay as a syndicate bioweapon scientist. This also means to keep in mind that ultimately, we’re here to have fun.

There was a single “Oi fuck off” from wueue (all the saylogs), and while perished did use his staff once or twice, they also did try to run away from what I can tell.
Which is when you critted them with a single shot. You know how strong that sniper is.
There’s a lot more you could’ve done there. Fire a warning shot to drive them away, or use other tools. The syndie base is full of stuff.

You should’ve acted as a barrier and put up some creative resistance. The syndicate lavaland base has a huge potential for roleplay.
Your objective should not and is not to “win” or kill the miner.

Either way that doesn’t apply to this ban appeal anyways, but I just thought I’d clarify this to avoid future confusions.

After looking at the logs in detail, and hearing your side of the story in here (You left before I could bwoink you ingame) I’m going to lift this ban.
You didn’t really get the chance to actually interact with the miner, neither did you call for their blood in dchat or so.

Apologies for the inconvenience and thank you for making a ban appeal!

4 Likes