Megaddd Admin Report

CKEY: Crow4

Your Discord: Thiccules#4050

Offender’s CKEY: Megaddd

Offender’s In-Game Name (if relevant): Pink Scottdottir

Date (MM-DD-YYYY): 10/30/2022

Round Number: 41117

Rules Broken (if relevant): Naming Guidelines

Part of Admin/Mentor Conduct Broken (if relevant): " * While you have the discretion to make decisions outside of the rules, you may not simply bypass rules you disagree with. Use your discretion wisely during unusual circumtances.*

Incident Description: Joined as observer, saw an oozeling named “Pink Scottdottir” which i ahelped, they didn’t make them change their name. I’ve had my name force changed on me several times, if we all have to follow the naming guidelines to the letter, then this is a direct violation of them

Asked about it, they said “they already talked to them” and left my ticket for 20 minutes, I said “Heya I notice they still got that name” they said they’d ‘talk to them as they DC’d’, and closed my ticket. The ticket was open for about 20 minutes before they DC’d, and that’d be a perma appearance until forums ban right?

• (* Oozeling: First name is almost any color, last name is any human surname ending in “son”)

I know several people WANT “dottir” to be added, but it’s not.

5 Likes

Yes there was discussion about son being analogous to dottir which I was a part of.
No I don’t recall the outcome of those discussions because they were a while ago.
Yes I changed their name to dottir when they were using a normal human name.
No I did not have the naming policy page open when I dealt with it and assumed it’s been added since.
Yes I’ve since handled it and awkwardly asked them to change their name to replace dottir with son since, they have disconnected before complying which is when Crow4 noticed it.
No I did not intentionally knowingly go against the rules.
Yes this is completely asinine in my opinion, which is irrelevant on this matter.

4 Likes

I know it’s asanine. I’ve had my name force changed on me, which I believe is also asinine. I’ve watched them kick out players entirely for names, which is asinine, i’ve had my game interrupted with “hey got a minute, so your name isn’t okay”, which is asinine.

No I did not have the naming policy page open when I dealt with it and assumed it’s been added since.

Nope

No I did not intentionally knowingly go against the rules.

in the ahelp log you will see i directly linked the naming guidelins in the 2nd ahelp.

I don’t want to peanut post, and although it’s certainly not in the naming guidelines, the oozeling specific page mentions the -dottir suffix.
“Oozelings inherit the name of the Scientist responsible for the strain appended with -son or -dottir to denote they are the offspring of that scientist.”
https://wiki.beestation13.com/view/Oozeling
This might result in some confusion, even I almost used the -dottir suffix myself, before going with the safer -son.

1 Like

[Oozeling - BeeStation Wiki ]
is not moderated, however the naming guidelines state at the top: " Note: This page is moderated and can be referenced in OOC issues… This may not apply to the pages this page links to."

1 Like

I guess if you consider a legitimate naming violation ‘petty’, great peanut post! But someone had violated the naming policies as stated, and there’s no “as intended” it’s extremely clear on the naming guidelines page.

Also please tell me how i “know” anything about the oozeling potential names? I don’t play oozling. I don’t give a shit about “dottir” meaning anything as it doesn’t even make sense to begin with. (I mean we use son why not use ‘daughter’)

((on re-reading it I guess like ‘stevensondaughter’ would be a clusterfuck of a name, but Stevensondottir does look like a real name, so it works? I’m not sure))

General reminder that posting in staff reports is restricted to posts that objectively contribute to the conversation. This is not the place to propose changes to the naming guidelines or have an unrelated discussion about them.

1 Like

I’m failing to see how this part of our conduct was broken.

You open a ticket about their name, after a brief conversation the ticket fizzles out likely due to them observing an in-round bug at the time. You send them a message a little bit later asking about it, to which you’re told that the person has DC’d and that they would be informed.

The mistake outlined in this report was already fixed in-round, something you were informed of and have acknowledged within this report. What are you hoping to achieve here?

The outcome of another players ticket is none of your business.

1 Like

I’m failing to see how this part of our conduct was broken.

I think this is the 2nd time you’ve said this exact line to me, so let me break it down. The “naming guidelines” are the guidelines for the naming of characters, that’d be a rule, not changing, by force or whatever, their name which doesn’t follow policy, would be bypassing a rule you don’t agree with.

The mistake outlined in this report was already fixed in-round, something you were informed of and have acknowledged within this report. What are you hoping to achieve here?

It was not fixed, they had the name until round end. He didn’t “inform me” of anything, just said they’d talk to them. what i’m “hoping to achieve” is a semibalance of fairness on the naming guidelines, you have admins who jump at names, then you have ones that just don’t really seem to care about names. I’m not sure why this is that hard to understand. Are the rules just totally subjective depending on who’s online?

How do you think changing the name of someone who’s already disconnected would help?
They were told to change it in the future.

And they were told not to use it in the future. You need to keep in mind that often the ticket you’ve opened isn’t the only one we’re working on. Sometimes we have other issues at hand that take time to resolve.

ADMINPRIVATE: Ticket #7: Crow4/(a swarmer): heya, i notice they didn't have to change their name
ADMINPRIVATE: PM: Megaddd/(David Shaner)->Crow4/(a swarmer): they DC'd. I'll let them know.

And that’s all that needed to be done to resolve the issue. There is no point in renaming someone that has already disconnected at that point.

There is no point in renaming someone that has already disconnected at that point.

Alright, if that’s your ruling on this then feel free to close it. Thanks for looking into it :slight_smile:

(also imagine a swarmer in reality complaining to god about the name of another thing lol)

bump baybeeee can’t remember why i haven’t

Alrighty lets break this down.

Overall in regards to name changes it isn’t 100% required to instantly also change their ingame name. Moderators in the past for example didn’t have permissions to change names either, so their tickets resulted in the note, recording it, and having the guy change their prefs.

Now that moderators are able to change names it is preferred to change the name ingame directly. It isn’t a dead set requirement though, as long as the person changes their name in their preferences.

From what I can tell here is that mega actually intended to change the name of them, but was extremely busy with a ton of tickets, chaos and high TiDi and forgot about it.

There wasn’t really any misconduct or malicious action here. Just a human making a mistake and forgetting about something due to high stress. The right course of action would have been to change the name though, especially after having told you so in the ticket. (The bwoink happened before they disconnected, so the person was aware that they’re name was bad.)

Thank you for the report though!