Make cloning require a small amount of Strange Reagent

SF is too easy to make/order and cloning is a quick and easy way to circumvent having to actually do your job as a doctor.

Strange reagent requires interaction with service (botany/chaplain) or cargo for holy water, and hunting for donks or talking to botany for omnizine.

Making the required reagents for cloning difficult to acquire will disincentivise Doctors from using cloning when it isn’t completely necessary.

1 Like

Cloning isn’t in an especially bad spot for convenience right now, especially given the bottleneck it poses against multiple deaths.

2 Likes

I hate cloning but eh, people will be gamers and will get SR one way or the other.

SF seems to be getting made in enormous batches at roundstart by chemists on request of the CMO, so the only limitation on cloning seems to be the time it takes to produce the clone, is your stance that the wait is adequate balance?

2 Likes

well if we don’t make it require SR but still want to nerf medbay, just make it so you can only body clone, then the doctor is required to do a brain transplant and defib their new body.

I always considered cloning the worst option to use, because IC the clone is no longer the person that was previously and has no recollection of their previous life. (I treat it as if it is a new ghost role almost). So I always try to avoid cloning.

3 Likes

Same but sadly most times your dead body is just chucked in regardless

Yeah 100%, Cloning back in 2019-2021 before it even required Synthflesh, was the GO-TO for revival no matter on what state the victim came, that’s why a lot of changes were made and nowadays as you mention is the worst option/the final option MD mains take, in fact… i dare anyone to try drag a perfectly revivable corpse to cloning, you will get ‘‘yelled at’’ (in a non toxic way 95% of the time ofc) for attempting to do so.

And nowadays there’s better options for revival instead of cloning mostly considering you won’t always have a shift where a Chemist would make 500u of synth in 10 minutes, same for having it upgraded, the IC consequences it brings, players moving on from that ‘‘meta’’, etcetera

I do like its existance for extreme emergencies and on the other hand it’s just… thematic to ss13 being a futuristic research station, i do believe after playing medbay from back in 2019 to now that the cloning issue got adressed and solved thanks to the players and code changing.

2 Likes

Tbh when I was CMO a synth flesh order from cargo is one of the first things I did just so it was ready to go.

Even when shit hits the fan, cloning takes a good while to process multiple people and most doctors avoided it unless it was a necessity.

4 Likes

I do this pretty regularly too especially if there’s no chemist or doctors because even though synthflesh isn’t hard to make, it’s annoying enough that I don’t want to bother with it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.