Joe does the log by bolb and applies for mod

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): joelogbybolb

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): jixs4v

How often are you online to help? (Timezone): mostly afternoon CEST on weekdays, more time on weekeends

What changes, if any, would you bring?: mostly a better coverage of lowpop times, in this mostly american-adminned server

How old are you?: 18

Why do you want to be a moderator?: Mostly annoyed at the plethora of griefers who keep littering the server, also lowpop isn’t covered enough. The report backlog could use some dealing with too. (Also Ruko told me to apply)

How long have you been playing SS13?: 900 hours over the course of 8 months

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: All my SS13 playtime basically

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: Solid 6, I know about mechanics but I’m not the best at combat.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games): 3

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13: A bit of adminning on a long dead unimportant discord

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: exadv1

Your strengths: My experience with admin tools, willingness to help and timezone

Your weaknesses: My history, and the fact I’m a student so my activity might be patchy at certain times of the year

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: I’d say bigotry and NRP players

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Fairness.

What makes a staff team good?: Communication to ensure issues are dealt with in a fair and consistent way and to ensure proper coordination.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: To moderate the server to ensure an experience for the players which aligns with the server’s design objectives.

What kind of player are you?: I love interacting and roleplaying with people but have my bouts of hyperfocusing on mechanics like engineering and science.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: Better lowpop coverage, less reports in the backlog.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
I’d first evaluate the circumstances: Is the clown an antag? What lead up to this event?
I’d then, if the clown wasn’t an antag, would bwoink the clown and ask him for his side of the story. Since this, even with proper escalation, is an act of self antag (Stealing the HOS’ gun is Grand Larceny, a capital crime), I’d probably remind the clown of this, and apply a scaling note or ban based on past history. I’d probably also remind them that their job as a clown isn’t to be an asshole but to provide entertainment to the crew.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
I’d check his account first. Do they have low hours? Is their account new? In that case, it’s probably a griefer. I’d bwoink them, asking why they did it, and if I get an obvious troll reply or just no response, I’d probably apply a permanent ban. If they reply telling me they weren’t aware this was a bannable offence, I’d remind them that major grief is not allowed on the server and that they are breaking the rules. I’d then remind them to read the rules and apply a long ban for major grief.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
I’d first bwoink and remind them to be less reckless next time. Even if they didn’t hurt anyone other than them, the fact that they exploded is bad. I’d then apply a scaling note/roleban based on previous history of this behaviour.

8 Likes

Are you referring to using and trying to practice working with them in singleplayer? Asking because you haven’t mentioned that you were staff on any other ss13 server at some point.

This is a nice response, but a bit too lenient. You above mentioned that it is a new account. It is really difficult to “accidentally” plasmaflood. You need to have a decent understanding of how things work to be able to plasmaflood. Them being a new account but competent ingame is a huge red flag. This should be a perma even if they claim that they didn’t know it was against the rules.

Your hours are good and so is your recent record. Time for the dreaded questions. :wink:

1. You come online on a round that has already been ongoing for 50 minutes. You notice there’s an ahelp open about a guy claiming that they were shoved into the SM while they were trying to place heat exchange pipes inside the SM chamber by another engineer. All of this happened within the first 6 minutes of the round. You manage to confirm his story via logs. It seems to have been an assistant. You check the assistant and notice that they are a traitor and that engineer is their target. Further, you see that the assistant roleplayed throughout the round and tried to engage with the round as an antagonist. The assistant has a recent note related to overescalation during a fight with the clown. What if anything do you do? And how do you respond to that ahelp?
  2. You are adminning ingame and randomly another admin comes online, gives a seemingly random player wizard. They then leave again before you can ask them about it in asay. Anything wrong here? What if anything do you do?
  3. You desperately have to restart the server because you’ve spent too long in delay already, so decide to finish a simple log search ticket in the next round. Next round you notice that the player you want to note hasn’t connected anymore. How would you go applying the note in this case? This is not an easy question and I wouldn’t ask this otherwise but since you said you were competent with admin tools I thought I’d test you a little. :wink:
  4. You’re adminning ingame as a moderator again, and a senioradmin comes online giving you admin perms saying “Have fun” and leaves. A player then prays “Do your worst”. What if anything do you do?
  5. A janitor who got arrested ahelps saying that the security officer metagrudges them. After you inquire why, they respond saying that the secoff gave them a 6 minute sentence instead of a 5 minute one.
    The security officer has a secret note related to potential metafriendship with another player. That other player is not online and hasn’t played at all this round. What if anything do you do here? And how do you respond to the ahelp?

These aren’t easy questions and it’s fine if you get them wrong. What matters is that you try and answer them to the best of your abilities!

2 Likes

Yeah I meant using them in singleplayer, I learned the ropes to move around and spawn in stuff I guess, I’m not completely clueless.

1. Even though this assasination could’ve been done in a more tasteful way, I do not believe the conduct of this player breaches antagonist conduct. They are allowed to kill their targets as they see fit, and especially since they later enaged with the round as an antagoinst, I don’t think this is a case of greentext chasing. I see no need to take action against the player. As for the ahelp, I’d tell em I’m looking into it then mark it as an IC issue.

2. This behaviour is most likely a breach of admin policy. Admins are allowed to create midround antagonists, but only if most antags are dead/afk/ineffective and an hour has gone by. An admin who just randomly comes on and gives a player antag is a bit weird since they probably don’t know the state of the round at that specific point. This is also a breach because they apparently specifically designed the player to give wizard to, they didn’t do it randomly as admin policy on midrounds states… I’d contact head admins about this since they are the ones charged with overseeing admin behaviour, and they’ll issue punishment if they find this behaviour to breach admin conduct.

3. :skull: This relates to your former question about me being familiar with admin tools, I should clarify I meant mostly the ‘Adminbus’ verb section, I have never had to ban/note anyone on my personal testing server, fortunately.

4. As per moderator policy:

I wouldn’t do anything since moderators are not allowed to perform adminbus, and I am not sure if a senior admin’s approval changes anything. I’d prefer to err on the safe side.

1. Sec may extend or shorten a sentence if they have an appropriate IC reason for this. From the space law page:

This is within the threshold, so I don’t see any need to take additional action. I’d mark the ticket as an IC issue after telling the player I was looking into it, quoting that section from space law.

Hey there, thanks for applying!

Have some questions while I through your history on the server:

1. You receive a ticket from a dead traitor, Aaron, saying they were killed by a validhunter, Bob. After going through personal logs, you realize the following happened:
  • Aaron punches Bob in the gut
  • Bob pulls out a knife and starts stabbing Aaron
  • Aaron runs away into maintenance, Bob pursues
  • Aaron pulls out an energy bow and shoots Bob
  • Bob crits Aaron with the knife from earlier, and then drags them to medbay

How do you respond to the ticket, and why do you respond in that way?

1. You bwoink a player for being generally rude in deadchat. When you remind them to be excellent to each other, they refuse. What action do you take here?

2. Assuming you are an admin with full perms, you log in and see the round has been going on for about two and a half hours. No other admins are online. What do you do, if anything?

1. Assuming that he’s a nonantag, Bob is in the wrong here, he chased a fleeing attacker, which is generally against the rules as a non antagonist. I’d bwoink Bob and explain to them that chasing aaron was against the rules since it’s a breach of escalation, asking why they had a knife in the first place, explaining it’s generally considered powergaming to carry items unrelated to your job “just in case” (in the case bob was a role that doesn’t usually need a knife). If they were cooperative in ticket, and had no past history, i’d probably apply a note. Otherwise I’d go with a scaling ban based on past history.

2. If they refuse, I’d ask them if they’d read the rules and give them a one hour ban to read them since they clearly hadn’t. If they were overly toxic in ahelps I’d probably give them a one day ban for toxicity.

3. I’d probably encourage the round to end by spawning in an event like meteors to force a shuttle call.

I’ll leave one situation for you to analyze since I think Fresh and H questions are already covering a lot of topics:

A traitor chemist with the following objectives:
_Assasinate X
_Steal whatever
_Escape alive
Makes felinid mutation toxins patches and bait their target into taking them, the target kills themselves.
Later on the captain, HOS and most of sec transform into wretched beings.
You do some digging, the chemist released felinid toxin in the brig, impacting the prisonners there and some civilians, said civilians ahelp after discussing it in Dchat (they OFC suicided after being submitted to such a fate).
The chemist meanwhile is making more toxin.

What do you do if anything?

1 Like

In the (not real) case felinid mutation toxin has such devastating effects, I would probably tell the chemist to cool it off with the toxin and tell him that mass race grief without objectives is against the rules. I’d apply a scaling note/ban for bad antag conduct. I’d probably bwoink the civilians, telling them it’s LRP to kill themselves since no reasonable person would kill themselves after being raceswapped. I’d give them a note for LRP behaviour for recordkeeping, and a scaling ban if they had previous history of LRP behaviour.

1 Like

Nice, you saw the part about peoples killing themselves.
Have my +1

T: +1

1 Like
Question 1

This one’s tricky, lets unpack it:

• Aaron punches Bob in the gut. Check for objectives/locations related to Bob. If they do, Aaron can escalate to whatever they want whenever with antagonist escalation. If they don’t, Aaron can’t escalate from nothing to step 2 with lavaland escalation.

• Bob pulls out a knife and starts stabbing Aaron. Bob opts to escalate from step 2 to 3, which they can as the defender. Check for why Bob has a knife. You got this one, good work!

• Aaron runs away into maintenance, Bob pursues. Bob IS allowed to pursue (provided they are acting in character), but can’t escalate past step 3, since per the pursuit case in escalation policy, they are now the aggressor (unless they are security).

• Aaron pulls out an energy bow and shoots Bob. Nothing changes here, since Aaron is responding in turn with armed combat.

• Bob crits Aaron with the knife from earlier, then drags them to medbay. Bob overescalates from step 3 to 4, since they are no longer the aggressor. Stuff like this is why you generally shouldn’t pursue, not because pursuit itself is against the rules.

So depending on the details, either Aaron is murderboning, or Bob is powergaming, or both!

Question 2

Per admin policy 2.5.3.2.1: All refusals to follow rules, regardless of reasoning, should be met with an immediate permanent ban. If they are unapologetic about their toxicity, send them to the forums until they are, whether that takes an hour, weeks, or they never come back.

Question 3

The trick here is you just logged on. According to admin conduct 2.4.3, the first thing you should do when logging on is to check and answer tickets, unless you deadmin or go into stealth. A round that made it to 2:30 without any admins probably has a few. Beyond that, meteors are a pretty good way to end the round, provided nothing interesting is happening and the poor spacemen are going feral from lack of stimuli.

I wrote these questions to be a little tricky just to see how you handle them and to glean some of your insight towards approaching a problem. Not being able to pick out this stuff is expected, but it’ll get drilled into you during training and your time as a moderator if / when you get accepted.

Beyond that, it looks like you had a rocky start here back around March, but I would be lying if I said I didn’t have notes and bans either. Just remember that you will be held to a much higher standard as server staff.

I’ll abstain (as if the number matters at all), but I wish you the best of luck on everyone else’s questions! I would be happy to have you on the team!

±0

1 Like

Good answer. What matters is if the antagonist tried to engage with the round as a whole, and the total round should be taken into consideration, not just a single isolated situation.

Good. Keep in mind that admins are allowed to create antagonists if they think it’s appropriate, in general that just shouldn’t happen before 90 minutes, although it can be fine if they have a good reason to do so. Spawning in a wizard in the middle of a round for shits and giggles is not a good one reason though.

Good, although you’d want to inform the headmins as well in this case. Seniormins do not have the authority to give someone the admin status or to grant “bus exceptions”. Doing nothing and informing the headmins is the correct call here.

Good!

You’ve had a rocky start but I think you have shown quite a lot of improvement over time, especially also as a mentor. Becoming a mentor is in many ways a stepping stone towards mod/admin.

I’m not going to vote directly, but I would say that I’m pretty confident about your application.

1 Like

Accepting at +1
dont pump those vote numbers too high guys, might get hard to count.

7 Likes