Job's motto

Hey fine folks!

I wrote the following as a side project after having been inspired to do so not very long ago.

My idea is to have each job/general department start the shift with a little motto, to onboard especially newcomers in the spirit’s of each department/job.

I suppose I didn’t forget any department/job, but if I did feel free to chime in! And as you can see there are some alternative mottos or parts where I was, and still am, unsure on the final/best cut of it.

Feel free to give me feedback on those too!

COMMAND

COMMAND’S DEPARTMENT MOTTO

“Direct from the backlines. Shine through the work of your crew!

CAPTAIN

“There is only one thing that saves a ship from a singularity maelstrom. It’s captain!”.

CHIEF ENGINEER

“Wirings, atmos pipes and tcomms. If something ain’t broke yet, I’m optimizing it!”.

CHIEF MEDICAL OFFICER

“When the chemist is an addict, the virologist is MIA, the geneticist is blind and doctors faked their degrees, there’s just one hope left to medbay… its CMO!”.

HEAD OF SECURITY

“Ai’s eyes might be overseeing, but only yours are able to discern problems brewing. There’s no riot that can’t be tamed thanks to a flashbang cluster!”.

RESEARCH DIRECTOR

“From witnessing an anomaly, to a new law of physics. Put your own signature in mankind evolution through your department’s work!”.

CARGO

CARGO’S DEPARTMENT MOTTO

“If it ain’t bolted it’s for sale!”.

“Life is pay-to-win. And there’s no scam in that”.

CARGO TECHIE

“Bots can move far heavier cargo, far faster than you. But only you can do it with a smile!”

MINERS

“Miners never betray, so miners never die!”.

“From dirt/Through dirt, gold”.

QUARTERMASTER

“Ordering something isn’t enough. Delivering it is just half the job. A true QM consider the customer’s experience from the instant the order was placed to when the empty crate it’s sent back. Your north star has only one name, customer care!”.

“When shit hits the fan, there’s only one man capable of delivering efficiency/discipline in cargo. We expect it to be you!”.

ENGINEERING

ENGINEERING’S DEPARTMENT MOTTO

“If it sparks it means it’s working as intended!”.

ATMOSPHERIC TECHNICIAN

“Pluoxium, Tritium, Hypernobilium. Any gasses, especially non-breathable ones, has their use!”.

ENGINEER

“Where there’s a crowbar, there’s a way!”.

MEDBAY

MEDBAY’S DEPARTMENT MOTTO

“Patience for your patients”.

CHEMISTS

“Pills, patches or fluids. Whatever you need in whatever form you need!”.

DOCTORS

“It doesn’t matter if he was the victim or the murderer. As long as I don the blue cross of medbay, no wound shall be left untreated!”.

GENETICIST

“You don’t need to reinvent the wheel to create another specie”.

“Forget about viruses or nanites. The first can be healed and the second emped. Only gene-splicing can turn you, dependably, into a true superman!”.

PARAMEDICS

“The help you needed the most, when you needed it the most”.

PSYCHIATRIST

“The most grievous wounds often doesn’t even touch the flesh”.

VIROLOGISTS

“Being sick is bad only if you let it be! Contagion is salvation!”.

SCIENCE

SCIENCE’S DEPARTMENT MOTTO

“Beyond ignorance’s darkness, to knowledge/discovery’s light!”.

EXPLORERS

“We explore the unknown and we recover what’s lost”.

“I behold the unseen and brave the unknown to uncover relics from an undiscovered past”.

ROBOTICISTS

“From still metal, movement. From coded software, sentience. The silicons might yet to be recognised as another race, but I’m their father!”.

SCIENTIST

“What’s the unknown? An incognita/enigma. What’s my job? Solving it!”.

SECURITY

SECURITY’S DEPARTMENT MOTTO

“In space what doesn’t kill/die gets arrested”.

“Safety in space has a price. Freedom!”.

BRIG PHYSICIAN

“A good doctor learn how to put a wall between his duty and his patient’s suffering. A brig physician is asked to leave a little door to let camraderie go through”.

DETECTIVE

“I brave the muddy pits of lies to distill crystal clear truth”.

LAWYERS

“There’s only one shield against an harmbaton. The LAW!”.

SECURITY OFFICERS

“A pair of cuff to hold them, my trusty baton to keep them tame”.

SERVICE

SERVICE’S DEPARTMENTMOTTO

“No brave soul should be left exploring space with dirty socks”.

ASSISTANT

“Sometimes isn’t knowledge, experience or dedication to the craft that sees the job done. Sometimes it’s just the sheer stubborness of a young spirit, hellbent on proving to himself and the rest of the universe that yes, he can. And he does matter”.

BARKEEP

*“Moral is the lifeblood of station life. Prevent it from getting cold with a warm drink”. @LuxLator

“There are bad days and then there are black swan ones. During those, no friend nor lover can lift you up as the right drink!”.

BOTANISTS

“Even in the vacuum, life. That’s both my job and my credo”.

CHAPLAINS

“The power of faith isn’t making miracles. Faith is the miracle!”.

CIVILIAN AS DEPARTMENT MOTTO

“Forget the jackboots or the labcoats. Space was born before anyone even had the idea to explore it. You and your adventurous spirit is what truly furthers mankind advancement!”.

CIVILIAN

“Everyone is so rash in finding the right job, the best place to live. Life is flow. Being free from any specific deparment obligation means being able to see the station as a whole, from all angles. Like a captain! Be the boatswain of your soul!”.

CLOWNS

“Death is only the last joke”.

JANITORS

“A dirty hallway is a crime alley. My mop fights bacteria and unlawfulness with each stroke!”.

MAGICIAN

“Magic is the spice of life”.

“When you don’t know how it works and still works, it’s magic”.

MIMES

“Through the power of silence, a mute laughter. Some words/emotions are more powerful when left unspoken”.

VIPS

“There exists incredibly skilled craftsmen. People so needed that without them, no space station could function. But without me, no one would ever have the will to live in space in the first place!”.

“I’m the shining example everyone try to model their lives after!”.

CC ROLES’S MOTTO

DEATHSQUAD

“Reason has failed. Violence is the only answer”.

“Diplomacy has failed. Death is what’s left”.

ERT

“Delta alert wasn’t enough. Only you can restore order now!”.

INSPECTOR

Our best officers on the field failed. We ask you to put your hawk’s eyes to good use! Report back the truth and suggest a solution!".

ANTAGS’S MOTTO

BLOB

“Universe is always expanding. And so are you. Fill it now!”.

CULT, NAR’SIE

“Dark geometry is the only solution to life’s chaos/universe entropy”.

CULT, RAT’VAR

“Organical based life is hell. Deliver salvation!”.

EXCOMMUNICATE

“A betrayal done for moral choices is the same as failure for the syndicate. It doesn’t matter why you did it, escape with your life!”.

LINGS

“Life has many faces, as lies do. Wear the face you prefer, but strike true!”.

MORPH

“You’re one but you’re many. It matters not how many different souls your body is made of. You HUNGER for more!”.

SPACE DRAGON

“The lesser races tend to forget to whom they owe their peaceful existence. Claim your tribute!”.

TRAITOR

“For noble reasons or not, you made your choice. Now see it through!”.

TREEMEN

“In the old days they used bulky machinery, as big as hills, to butcher wood. Now they exstinguish us from orbit. Restore natural order!”.

WIZARD

“It is of no consequence if those paesants wield laser rifles instead of pitchforks. Teach them the price for having issued a witch hunt!”.

12 Likes

I will not forget the time I directed my own militia as the RD consisting of Mechanised Miners, Scientists, Roboticists, and Explorers. After Security and the rest of Command fell we set up patrol paths and protected the remaining innocents to the escape shuttle from the hoard of cultists! I am so proud of everyone who assisted us in that.

If I could manage more, I’d definitely be a HoS main.

1 Like

Can we had these as part of job descriptions? :smiley:

2 Likes

WHERE ARE THE ASSISTANTS!!!

Sirio my crew is not represented here!

Bar:
“Some say Alcoholism is good for business. As a discount therapist I have to disagree.”

“Moral is the lifeblood of station life. Prevent it from getting cold with a warm drink.”

2 Likes

They along with Chaplains fall under the civilian category which has been left out too.

Bad ODESSA!

But you’re right :wink:

ASSISTANT

“Sometimes isn’t knowledge, experience or dedication to the craft that sees the job done. Sometimes it’s just the sheer stubborness of a young spirit, hellbent on proving to himself and the rest of the universe that yes, he can. And he does matter”.

You’re right Larsson!

I completely forgot about the civilian department because as a hop main I consider them part of my service department! And if I’m not wrong they get service frequency too?

But in case we’ll uphold the civilian as its own department, here is my shot at it :

CIVILIAN AS DEPARTMENT MOTTO

“Forget the jackboots or the labcoats. Space was born before anyone even had the idea to explore it. You and your adventurous spirit is what truly furthers mankind advancement!”.

And if we instead want to add a different kind of assistant that is more a tourist than an assistant, here it is my attempt :

CIVILIAN

“Everyone is so rash in finding the right job, the best place to live. Life is flow. Being free from any specific deparment obligation means being able to see the station as a whole, from all angles. Like a captain! Be the boatswain of your soul!”

I’ll edit the main post to add these 2 too!

About our @LuxLator instead, here is my feedback!

I know, as you know, that you did mean more with this brief phrase that what you were able to write. But the fact the reader is asked to read too deep into it, jumping from the point of view of a barkeep businessman in the first half to a more humane one in the second part, leaves me dissatisfied.

The smaller the space you have to make things mean something, the more you should be very careful in setting the right tone, from the get-go, with each word.

At least these are my two cents!

That’s it, infact!

This one nails it 100%!

My attempt to it would be the following :

BARKEEP

“There are bad days and then there are black swan ones. During those, no friend nor lover can lift you up as the right drink!”.

I will add your version too to the main post, as the first hypotheses, to reflect how much I think you were right on the sweet spot with it!

3 Likes

we don’t need need a motto, we have an anthem

2 Likes

Kind of expected the American national anthem. lol

Hahahahaha these are all fantasric, witty, and backhanded. Very good job :joy:

2 Likes

Taylor, next time I’m Ashley in Cargo and you’re QM, I’m going to spam our cargo comms with this song. Gonna figure out circuitry JUST because you posted this :smiling_imp:

I hope these get added, it would be a perfect start to a shift, as it also helps to bring forth a flavor of immersion to start the shift off!
Perhaps some for the antags would also work? Even for deathsquads and such.

Brig phys isnt the same thing as a doctor smh my head

As per usual you’re putting your excellent writing skills to a good use

2 Likes

Guilty as charged!

Here’s my apology!

BRIG PHYSICIAN

“A good doctor learn how to put a wall between his duty and his patient’s suffering. A brig physician is asked to leave a little door to let camraderie go through”.

Interesting idea.

The antag different backstory origin was implemented already if I’m not wrong, but the short nature of this snippets won’t make the two conflict with each other.

Quite the opposite!

It’s possible that someone that isn’t using that, more elaborated, system will be inspired to do so having such snippets!

That’s what I wrote after being inspired by your comment :

BLOB

“Universe is always expanding. And so are you. Fill it now!”.

CULT, NAR’SIE

“Dark geometry is the only solution to life’s chaos/universe entropy”.

CULT, RAT’VAR

“Organical based life is hell. Deliver salvation!”.

DEATHSQUAD

“Reason has failed. Violence is the only answer”.

“Diplomacy has failed. Death is what’s left”.

ERT

“Delta alert wasn’t enough. Only you can restore order now!”.

EXCOMMUNICATE

“A betrayal done for moral choices is the same as failure for the syndicate. It doesn’t matter why you did it, escape with your life!”.

LINGS

“Life has many faces, as lies do. Wear the face you prefer, but strike true!”.

MORPH

“You’re one but you’re many. It matters not how many different souls your body is made of. You HUNGER for more!”.

SPACE DRAGON

“The lesser races tend to forget to whom they owe their peaceful existence. Claim your tribute!”.

TRAITOR

“For noble reasons or not, you made your choice. Now see it through!”.

TREEMEN

“In the old days they used bulky machinery, as big as hills, to butcher wood. Now they exstinguish us from orbit. Restore natural order!”.

WIZARD

“It is of no consequence if those paesants wield laser rifles instead of pitchforks. Teach them the price for having issued a witch hunt!”.

If someone will be kind enough to give me a list of whoever/whatever role I might have yet forgot, I will try to add it as soon as inspiration strikes me!

And many, many thanks to you all for your kind feedback! It’s because we are such a wonderful community that I do try my best in offering you what I’m able to!

P.S. = I will edit the main post to add these too

6 Likes

Here’s my own motto for assistants
Every job on this station shines with its own color. In your hands, they all flow together. Strike with leverage. Fill the gaps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.