Ban Type:
Temporary
Ban Length:
3 days
Ban Date (YYYY/MM/DD/):
2022-06-15
Round ID:
Ban Reason:
R1 | Excessive Nya-ing and constant use of all caps along with some semi LRP messages while playing as the captain. Past notes for RP violations, tone it down going forward. Cooperative in ticket.
Appeal Reason:
Considering the lengthy debates in my other thread on the topic of the use of the word “Nya” and its relation to RP, I think that a more serious clarification regarding this case and the use of Nya in general needs to be made, so I’m creating an actual appeal so that we can actually discuss RP and not “ew felinids”.

“Nya” can be LRP, nya can be RP. Just saying Nya “excessively”, in my opinion, does not constitute LRP, as meowing (and thus “nya”, which is literally meowing but japanese) is a core feature of felinid RP. A case where Nya could be LRP is when it’s used to avoid or destroy RP, such as: spamming Nya over and over in one location or directed at one person without IC reason, posting Nya on the radio with no prior prompting. It can also be a part of LRP actions, but itself I don’t believe is actually LRP. For example, if someone is being an LRP shitter and screaming “Nya!” while randomly attacking crew members, the Nya itself is not LRP, it’s the being a shitter part.

Now that we’ve established this, as I use it, nya is functionally a meow. It’s the felinid equivalent of a cyborg’s beep, or an apid’s buzz. It’s a versatile word used to complement RP.

I believe that this ban was the result of a mix of unfortunate circumstances that led to what appears to be an attempt at RP misrepresented and appearing as common LRP behavior.

If someone were to look at my chat logs and see

NYA!
nya!
(insert conversation with player)
nya!
Hey, nya!

And just see me spamming nya, you’re missing loads of context, like what was I doing when I said Nya? And is saying Nya randomly even LRP? It’s literally cat meowing. Cats meow randomly all the time.

Furthermore, to address the topic of speaking in all caps, I was playing a key word rare version of my character as captain (I do admit I could have talked on the radio SLIGHTLY less while under the influence of the clock drink, but I was trying to say stuff, and it was all clock words so i was struggling) who is off the rails and drunk but not in a shitter way, I still performed my duties, attempted to RP, etc. For example, I bring the dumb Nyice joke I made in atmos that can be seen in logs as an example. I also attempted to RP with the bartender about the clockie drink, to which I was met with lethal response, but nonetheless I had full intentions to RP with him and was rejected the opportunity. I also as captain was RPing being captain and made several announcements, had some friendly IC rivalry with the mime and Clown who kept kidnapping station pets. I also attempted to RP via announcements my disgraceful resignation (for being a drunk) as captain following my PMs with the admin in-round, before I was banned midround.

I believe this ban roots from:

• A bias against the word nya, dismissing it as always being LRP when used in excess
  • A dismissal of command characters from having major flaws and failure to give the opportunity to RP a “bad” captain (note: I was still performing my duties, setting alert, making announcements, managing heads. I even set up the SM because there was no engineering staff and it was necessary due to low crew)

I do understand that my behavior is reminiscent of some previous nya-shitposters, but genuinely, I am an RPer, and I think aside from a few specific cases, I have always maintained immersion to the best of my abilities. In fact, this very round, someone said “Ty” to me instead of “Thank you”, and instead of ignoring it and moving on I said “Who is Ty?”.

For all these reasons I am appealing this ban.
I would also like to see more codification in the rules of what exactly constitutes LRP behavior, since I’ve had multiple issues with it as it is defined, and it’s always been pretty vague. Like, it’s clear when someone is being a shitter who doesn’t want to RP, but I, an RPer, keep having all this trouble.

My previous ban regarding spamming “AMOGUS” is clearly LRP due to netspeak, this is understood, and another report on me saying “Poly said nya, Poly is based” is agreeably semi-LRP, just for the “based” part. It was definitely me breaking character. But I don’t think I broke character majorly in this round.

4 Likes

There is one. It’s considered LRP.

No, it roots from you spamming nya and being abnoxious.

obraz
This isn’t roleplay standard we’re looking for.

Additionally, since your name is Kat (which is obvious reference to Cat), your ckey is Itsmeowdev and you are playing felinid, I would suggest you really think about the way you try to roleplay.
To be frank, think of better backstory for you character, preferably one that isn’t centered around gimmick of being “CUTE CAT NYA” and SPAMMING CAPS AT EVERYONE CONSTANTLY YELLING HAHA IM SO QUIRKY.

Considering you have been for similar things, it leads me to believe you have no learned from your previous mistakes.

After reviewing your say logs for the given round I have to say the ban is entirely warranted.

1 Like

Alright. If multiple people have reviewed this and come to the same conclusion, then I’ll take it for what it is. I agree this is clearly a pattern, however I do think I am genuinely improving even if it doesn’t look like it, especially with behavior that I think is more blatant LRP, I’ve removed most of that. Clearly, I wasn’t up to par, and it wasn’t just nya-hating, so, I’ll try to think of a better gimmick. I appreciate the staff team’s leniency so far especially considering I have a history of LRP behavior for the same exact thing. I really do typically do my best to improve RP for others, but some days I forget other people are playing the game and TALK IN ALL CAPS AND BE SILLY QUIRKY HAHA!!!

Withdrawing my appeal.

:+1: