Isy232's 3138 Word Self Reflection Essay About Being In Power

A player sees another player holding a pen in their hand, so they shove them, steal the pen, then cremate it, destroying the pen permanently.

Rules broken, if any.

LRP, none I would think.

MRP, this is likely a sign of valid hunting which is powergaming.

Unless they had a good IC reason to target the players pen specifically, in which case this could be an IC conflict, but they would need a good reason to target the pen. Maybe there could be an argument for self defense if the player was doing other things to be suspicious, like breaking into your workplace without a given reason.

Also, if there was a good reason to suspect it was gangs and the player with the pen was acting suspicious around them I think it would be self defense.

However if there is no good reason other than the fact that they had their pen in their hand I would think this would be powergaming. I would think to only note the player if they were cooperative and didn’t have previous notes for the same things as this is fairly minor powergaming.

The player shoved was a traitor, the pen was their locked uplink, and this happened at roundstart.

Rules broken, if any.

I would think to handle this situation exactly like the previous with the change that if there was no good reason for the player to destroy the pen I would respawn the traitors uplink.

1 Like

It’s very much power gaming. it’s assuming that their pen has some sort of functionality which you have no in character reason to suspect or know given that they haven’t done anything with it yet. It’s also quite dickish to destroy it for no reason.

Valid hunting is more of aggressively looking for other players behaving in ways that would make them valid, commonly other players breaking into places that they don’t belong or having items or weapons that would make them valid. For example, a valid hunter patrols maintenance looking for other players breaking into a heavily restricted areas.

Even if it wasn’t 100% correct, it’s still a good answer.
I’m more interested in how you reason about things than if you know all of the rules correctly.

1 Like

as a player this seems really dumb, it’s literally just a pen, how would I who stole it know it was a tator item instead of the pen literally everyone gets in their PDA, this seems just like an IC issue

stealing a pen is powergaming? What next, bwoink the clown for stealing shoes because shoes prevent feet harm?

this is using metaknowledge aka metagaming. If you see some guy with a pen out irl, shoving him to the ground and stealing it is not self defense.

I like this though, admins need to help people with stuff like this or where you accidentally space yourself during the arrivals shuttle sequence

wait what? how? isn’t it just metagaming unless they actually get one? and even then the person in your scenario literally just destroyed it, instead of trying to use it.

there are literally at least 50 pens on the station at any given time including pens held by other players, possibly the only less “dickish” thing to destroy would be to steal somebody’s blank sheet of paper

1 Like

You’re not stealing the pen because you need a pen. You’re stealing it because the pen is probably a traitor uplink or some other item.

Destroying it is then done completely out of spite to the other player in case it is an uplink, since those can’t be restored without admin intervention.

It’d be the same thing as shoving someone, then stealing their PDA and destroying it round start because they held it in their hand for a moment.

1 Like

why would you steal shoes for no reason

maybe i’m just too nice because my first thought was “it’s just a meme prank like stealing shoes”

TIL

1 Like

Since this is an image posted on a publicly-available ban message, I feel comfortable posting it here.

The incident occurred on MRP.

1 Like

If you see someone with their PDA in their hand, and shove them and steal it to send a salacious message to the captain, that wouldn’t be power gaming if you then noticed that it was an open traitor uplink.

But proactively attacking someone to steal what could be a traitor uplink without having any sort of indication that they are a traitor is power gaming.

2 Likes

that makes sense.

2 Likes

If you see someone with their PDA in their hand, and shove them and steal it to send a salacious message to the captain, that wouldn’t be power gaming if you then noticed that it was an open traitor uplink.

That’s more what I was thinking this time. If there is clearly no other reason to steal the item besides doing it because you think it might be a syndicate item it is powergaming. If you grab their PDA to send a joke message to the captain or steal their pen because they are behind you in the HoP line and you feel like being a dick and using theirs it isn’t powergaming, just a minor IC crime. If you then find it to be a traitor uplink its not powergaming to destroy it or hand it over to security.

2 Likes

I realize I forgot to respond and adjust my vote despite calling other admins over to post and read your novel.
I’m tossing in a +1 myself for reasons already stated.

I’ll accept this within a few days if there’s not any solid opposition posted.
T:4.5

1 Like

+2 for questions answered,

T: 6.5

1 Like

I had a good chuckle at this…

1 Like

I didn’t really explain why I put a +1, so I’ll do it here. The answers are pretty darn good, and there was a lot of effort going into this. While the answers can be shaky at times, that’s literally what the trial period is for.

4 Likes

1+, you put so much effort into your answers with so much detail. It seems you are very passionate in this and that is a perfect fit for an admin.

T: 7.5

1 Like

someone join as curator and upload this to the library

2 Likes

Accepted at +7.5.

You’ll have to get with a Senior Admin or above to receive your training and perms in-game.

Welcome to the team!

4 Likes