Is virology too slow?

I am pretty new to SS13, but I have worked almost all the science, service, and medic jobs and out of those virology is simply the slowest. It almost takes 40 or 50 minutes, a little bit faster if you are better and have a real good cargo team and whatnot.
And if you have an evil disease people can simply health analyse themselves and start chugging the cure and the good ones are not as good as simpler to make genetic changes or robot augmentations.

I have yet to notice any disease on like 50 rounds or so I played here. Normally only antags kill the virologist and at most setup their base there since nobody is ever going to botherm them there.

Some suggestions I brainstormed:

1. The viral Extrapolator scans a lot faster. There is no reason for a single scan to take 5 seconds on an allready super slow job.

2. The Viral Extrapolator can print symptoms and combine them so you dont have to do a lot of unnessecary worksteps.

3. New and better symptoms with more difficult cures.

Maybe people here can correct me?

Viro is a slow job with barely any upsides but sometimes you pull off some fun stuff that’s good for you

old viro used to be fun and that was too much for the coders, so they nerfed it into the ground.

basically, in the viro of yore, it was all about random chance. you could manipulate the RNG a bit, like you can now, but at the end of the day it was all luck whether or not you got the symptoms you wanted for the disease you wished to build. symptoms were also way, way better (i miss the old healing viruses that didn’t drop you into a coma and thus get you killed in any combat encounter). my guess is they nerfed old viro to hell because nanites came out so having two regeneration things was too strong.

2 Likes

I thought you could upgrade it

Extrapolator is upgradable. Use a screwdriver on it to remove the current scanner, then slot in a new scanner.

The extrapolator can already do this! Set it to “Extract” and use it on a virus. It will allow you to isolate a symptom without having to do RNG bullcrap.

WYCI

1 Like

Extrapolator is upgradable. Use a screwdriver on it to remove the current scanner, then slot in a new scanner.

Even with maxed out scanners it still takes super long

The extrapolator can already do this! Set it to “Extract” and use it on a virus. It will allow you to isolate a symptom without having to do RNG bullcrap.

Thats not what I meant. If you use it you still have to manually mix the virusses with a piper and get them out of the fridge and whatnot. My suggestion would be that you could basically save all of it in the extrapolator (digitally) and print out a ready made virus. Kinda like combining different genetic traits work. Sorry for not being more clearer.

old viro used to be fun and that was too much for the coders, so they nerfed it into the ground.

Kinda this it feels like the new /tg/ version of something on a server where everything else is much much stronger.

You can keep bottles with viruses in a biobag. With that you can easily combine them with a dropper.

I kinda like where viro is at now, even if it is a bit slow. It shouldn’t be about rushing to endgame in 20 minutes.

There’s little you can do with it though. Maybe having more dangerous random diseases and symptoms that can fight against other diseases would be a cool addition acting as a filler. If nothing is done then you may experience slower healing, bad eyesight and an occasional spasms from these bad symptoms. The good symptoms can either destroy the bad ones, neuter them or cancel each other out.
You can also then add nanites that attach themselves to good symptoms to boost them, giving a nice dynamic and a reason to ask sci to do that.
More disease slots for this would be cool too.

1 Like

First: WYC
Second: Most random diseases go into second slot and you can make a beneficial disease that will occupy that slot and so will immunize people against random viruses.
Third: you can do some nasty shit with viro or some very cool shit. If you know what you’re doing. The only thing lacking is a way to bypass the transmissibility restriction, after xenofungus was removed (I’m still salty about that, it was incredibly useful regardless of how it looked)

Sounds like someone who doesn’t understand virology to me.

Fot benificial diseases, I mean.
It’s just either a bit of healing or being able to not need to breathe. Regen coma can be good, but it’s not so good for combat.
Bad diseases are not an option unless you’re an antag with the hijack objective

Simply having a minor beneficial disease can protect you from getting a harmful disease.

It was more of as a type of filler to give the virologist more to do than just make one disease that no one will take because of paranoia.

1 Like

Tbh an isolated job like this probably should take awhile

because what do you even do after you finish. There isn’t much continuous stuff to do