Impish_Delights Mod Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): Impish_Delights, No Alts

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Vicki#8951, No Alts

How often are you online to help? (Timezone): Typically after work, or late nights (8PM-2AM CST). I may also be available rarely in the morning (9AM-1PM CST)

What changes, if any, would you bring?: Having an additional mod online during low-pop or “late night” shifts, and trying to help with coverage during weird hours.

How old are you?: 22 :V

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I wanna be able to lend a hand and help out the Bee community (more than with being a mentor), and it’s been the main server I’ve been playing on since I got back into SS13

How long have you been playing SS13?: Longer than I wanna think about. At least since 2012-2013, on the good old days of Liberty Station and other LRP clusterfucks.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: At least a year, consistently. I take breaks every now and then but I’ve been on a streak for awhile now.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: A solid 6 or 7, I like to think I know a decent bit about every department, even if my skill isn’t super indepth (except combat, I’m just shit at that outright).

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games): A solid 5, most of my stuff has been hosting rather than administrating for servers, and it’s only been for small friend groups most of the time.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13: A few small discord servers, along with “moderating” for game servers I occasionally host. This usually amounts to clean-up when something goes wrong rather than actually dolling out punishments though. I am also currently a mentor on Bee!

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: I do not

Your strengths: Relatively level-headed when it comes to situations, even when insults or other stuff are being thrown my way.

Your weaknesses: I have a bit of trouble outright confronting people without someone else giving me a little nudge first, and I do tend to second-guess most of my decisions.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: Not particularly, I’ll get upset rather quickly over people spewing vile content (hate-speech, death threats, etc), but it’s not really a rage thing.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Being open to listening to all sides of a discussion, and avoiding jumping to conclusions based off of the first things you hear. Taking a moment just to ask rather than assuming malice right off rip is what I prefer doing most of the time.

What makes a staff team good?: Being there for each other if you need to reach out for a second opinion, and working to split up the load to ensure it’s not all getting piled on a single person. Knowing that you’ve got a team working alongside you seems like it can take a lot of pressure off and make it more satisfying.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: Ensuring that the server’s rules aren’t broken, and taking care of it when they are. They should be guiding players towards making the round enjoyable for everyone, and taking care of bad actors that want to ruin it.

What kind of player are you?: I try to lend a hand wherever I can in the station, working in the background so people can continue doing what they want (ensure engine is running, mending chewed wires, good set-up of chems in the fridge, etc). If I’m not doing that, then I’m usually on a personal project and doing “totally licensed and approved” renovations of maintenance, and trying to make the station cozier.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: I’ll probably open up a bit more to the community, try to integrate my characters and actively seek out RPing rather than doing my own little projects that I then “open up” to the station.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
Assuming that this is the HoS ahelping about it, I would check if the clown is an Antag at all; if they weren’t, I would look back at chat logs to see if there was provoking at all or if it was a clear-cut, slips, steals, and spaces. I’d also ahelp the clown to ask him to explain themselves, if they’re a new player explain that while the clown is able to pull pranks on the crew, this steps over the line into self-antagging as it’s a unique item that is also a possible antag objective. If it was a case of the clown being non-antag/griefing, I would apply a note and a possible short ban for self-antagging/asking them to re-read the rules.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
I would ask why exactly they released plasma and sabotaged atmos as a non-antag, in addition to looking up their ckey to see if it is a brand new account (to try and see if they might be an evader, or have a history of other similar shenanigans). If they are a blatant griefer or a suspected evader, I would suggest a perma-ban is applied for those reasons; if they have a history with the server and this is only a first or second offense, I would apply a note and a few day long server ban at the least. If they’re a legitimately new player, I would ask them to look over the rules again and explain that we’re a roleplaying server before applying a day long ban.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?: I’d investigate to see what exactly they were making and send a message to ask about what happened. If they were a non-antag making explosives for no IC reason, I would remind them that it is against the rules to make weapons “just in-case” and apply a hidden note to watch for possible power-gaming. If they just accidentally mixed something and it resulted in an explosion, I would leave it as an IC issue and let them know if they ever need help, that there are mentors who would be happy to answer any questions they have.

5 Likes

Hello! i’m very happy you decided to apply for moderator!! :muscle:
I’ll review your question, then ask a couple questions of mine :ok_hand:

In general, even if there was no malicious intent it’s good to document their behaviour.
A ban should be applied if they were already warned about the same behaviour, or if what they did was egregiously bad :ok_hand:

Even if it’s their first offense, this is still griefing. It’s almost impossible for someone to get plasma into the distro loop without them knowing the consequences.
Permabanning them is generally the best course of actions, a day long ban (even if they’re new) is too lenient (a new player wouldn’t know how to sabotage the distro loop. if their account was brand new it’s likely an evader).

Last answer looks good :+1: :muscle:

I’ll ask a couple questions, you aren’t expected to get them 100% right, I’m just interested in knowing how you’d approach the situation:

1. (in-game) you notice a player filter-bypassing, saying the N word. What would you do?
  2. Blood cult round. It’s ten minutes into the shift and as soon as the cover is blown one cultist yells “IM KILLING MYSELF NOW YOU FUCKS” and commits suicide. What would you do?
  3. A player coming back from a very recent week long ban for 0RP is very clearly validhunting and keeps using OOC words and memes while in character (antag, round, player, sus, etc). What would you do as moderator?
1 Like

Ohh, some stuff that I’ve actually seen handled/seen ban records for before.

1. By “in-game” I assume that I’m actively playing/am part of the round in some way, in which case I would first submit an ahelp if another mod was online. Otherwise, I would find a place to ghost so I would be able to check logs and see what else they’re doing, as from my experience using slurs usually means it’s a blatant troll/griefer.

I’d message them, asking why they’re using slurs as it’s outlined very clearly in our rules that they’re not allowed. If it was just a case of filter bypass, I would apply a short ban and note and ask them to review the rules. If there was other suspicious behavior (attacking people randomly, spraypainting slurs around the station, stealing things, etc), I would look at a perma for blatant griefing/being a troll.

1. If the player was still connected after suiciding, I would message them and ask why exactly they suicided, and remind them that if they don’t want to play as an antag during a conversion round that their spot can be given up to a ghost. In addition, I’d remind them that they must help their team even if the situation is rather grim.

In either case, I would apply a ban from antagonist roles, and a hidden note to watch for future, similar behavior of killing themselves over getting converted and then having their team discovered.

1. This one feels rather cut and dry, given the player knows what they’ve been banned for previously. I’d message them and remind them that they must play a character, and that valid-hunting and power-gaming is blatantly against the rules and that the server isn’t about a ‘play to win’ mentality. As it’s a repeat offense and very recently after a previous unbanning, I’d look at a two-week long server ban and a note detailing that they’re a repeat offender.

I typed this out on my phone just after waking up so sorry if the layout/grammar is shite

2 Likes

don’t worry lol :muscle: :ok_hand:

If someone gets banned you don’t need to issue a note, as you can see bans when searching for notes :+1:

I would still issue a short server ban in this case along with the antag ban.
Knowingly sabotaging your own team isn’t allowed, and is far below our roleplay standards.

SO! in this case, as a new moderator, you aren’t able to issue server bans longer than 3 days (unless it’s obvious griefing) unless you get authorisation from an admin!

I’m glad you applied and i’ll give a very happy +1!

good luck with the rest of the questions!! :muscle:

T: +1

3 Likes

Heya hey! Good to see more applying!

I’ll do a quickie question or two but as far as I’m concerned you already have a +1 from me.

Questions:

1. While playing, an assistant come up to your character and beats them down with the toolbox, then goes to hide the body. Now in deadchat you are seeing lots of complaints about this guy and are watching the assistant murdering more and more people and you see that he isn’t an antagonist. You are the only staff online.
    What do?

2. You sign on and two geneticist are hulked up, one of them is injecting people with the hulk mutation and you notice there are quite a few hulks on station already. By the time you are done reading the logs you notice they’ve both been pulled into the CMO’s office and are being chewed out.
    Part Dos: 10 minutes after you do whatever, you notice one of the genes is still breaking into places to offer and inject people with hulk.

3 Likes
  1. From what I understand, being murdered by the assistant means that I am involved with the issue and that I shouldn’t be taking care of it. I’m not sure if it’s a different case for greifing (which a non-antag murderboning would definitely be), but I would ping for another admin in the Discord admin chat to see if anyone else is online to help take care of the issue.

If this is something I’m allowed to tackle, I would move the assistant to admin jail and ask them why they were indiscriminately murdering as a non-antag, and if they read the server rules at all. If they’re a new player, it sounds like a case of giving them the boot for a few days so they can read the rules and understand that we’re a roleplay server, but otherwise it would end up as a perma for plain old griefing. Considering they were going through the effort of hiding bodies, it sounds more like the second one though.

1. As part of my log reading, I am going to assume that neither of them are antagonists and are simply taking it upon themselves to hulkify the station. As the CMO pulled them aside to dole out punishments in character (and presumably deal with the situation, as is their job), I would leave it as a hidden note at first for mass distribution of hazardous mutations and powergaming, and to watch out for similar behavior in the future.

As for the second part, I would message the gene at that point to ask why they are breaking into places and still handing out hulk mutators, presumably against the commands of the CMO. At best, it’s simply LRP to go against your boss’s orders, at worst, it’s massive powergaming to arm the entire human population of the station with hulk.

I’d look at applying a gene job ban if this is a first offense, and only add on a server ban if they have a history of powergaming and LRP behavior like this.

2 Likes

For the first one the handling part would be well done for any admin that isn’t you.
Because you are involved (got murdered too) you could adminjail them, but beyond that you’d have to call for help from another staff member because you are directly involved in the issue.

2nd one is fine, Always good to remember that IC punishments are not a replacement for OOC punishments, tho they can compliment eachother.

2 Likes

You are noticing that a certain player is frequently being bullied in-round by other players and you’re unsure whether its an IC or OOC thing.

What do you do, if anything?

1 Like

This is certainly a complicated one. I’d add hidden notes on the person being bullied, alongside those who were performing it just to make it easier to keep an eye on / as a reminder of something to watch for in future rounds. If I continued to notice this behavior, I’d first ask the person being bullied, let them know that they didn’t do anything wrong, but ask if they noticed anyone repeatedly harassing or bullying them. Afterwards, I’d reach-out to speak with some of the people that were participating in the bullying, remind them that rule 7 exists for a reason and that meta-grudging is explicitly against the rules.

As long as it was nothing major, I think it should remain as merely notes. If it extended past that to hurling insults in LOOC too, or even in the discord, that should result in a few day long ban at the least (and some sort of punishment in the discord server as well, not sure what that exactly could equate to though).

2 Likes

Hello, just two questions from me:

1. A new player ahelps asking “hey, I have read the rules thoroughly and perfectly, but I don’t understand escalation policy, how different is this server from lrp?” How do you answer?

2. A player prays “Oh gods, please inflict your terribly foul punishment on this heathen for the terrible sacrilege thee has committed”. What do you do? Assume you’re an admin for this question.

4 Likes

1: "Hey, thanks for checking in and asking, always happy to clarify any rules in the future as well. Escalation policy exists so you don’t kill someone for shoving you a few times; generally as the attacker, you are not allowed to escalate to the next tier within the chain (non-harmful/shoves > unarmed attacking > armed attacking > putting offender in crit > outright killing) and are expected to match whatever the defender is doing, whereas the defender is allowed to escalate through the steps in retaliation to being attacked. There are special clauses depending on player status and former conflicts, and most antagonists are able to bypass most steps in escalation policy if it is related to their objective.

As for how this related to roleplaying, you must play a believable and (mostly) normal person who wants to keep their job aboard this station; you should not be picking fights for no reason, and your response to being shoved by someone should not be to immediately bash their face in with a toolbox. In general, non-security crew should avoid fighting and run from danger if they are reasonably able to."

2: I’d hop over to the player in question to see exactly what the scenario is, if there is a ‘ritual’ being performed, if the ‘heathen’ in question is apparent, and pry a bit deeper to see what the player’s actual religion and deity was set to try and get an idea of how to respond to the prayer. I’d reach over via the IC whisper/voice in your head thing (I’m not sure what it’s called) to weasel out more info on why exactly I should be smiting whoever drew their ire.

If it was a justifiable reason, I would lean towards creating some form of poltergeist or ghost with the objective to make the person’s life miserable/inconvenience them if possible, landing somewhere between a maintenance teratoma and a revenant, and have a random player take control of it. The person in question eventually being able to ‘repent their sins’ to dispel their haunting, or turning to the chaplain for aid in dealing with their supernatural situation.

I feel it’d be something that adds a bit more depth than just a one and done smote, and could encourage roleplay with some of the more RP focused jobs such as Chaplain or Psych even.

Thanks for the questions by the way! The second one had me stumped for a decent bit, I gotta admit ;;^^

2 Likes

Slight correction, sorry if this comes off as a bit nitpicky. You don’t see bans when looking at notes. What happens is when you ban someone it automatically generates a note for the ban. This is worth keeping in mind since if you unban someone or edit their ban reason you may see it fit to alter the note generated as part of the ban too.

Answer itself is acceptable but here’s the relevant policy.

I’m comfortable giving this a +1 at this point. Hope you do well as a mod if you get accepted.
Good luck.

T:+2(3?) (Unclear whether Daridine +1’d or not)

1 Like

For transparency sake I +1’d in my first post.

4 Likes

Every time I’ve seen you in-game you’ve been doing great, and there havent really been any issues.
And your question responses seem decent!

+1

2 Likes

Good answers and good app.
+1
T:+5

2 Likes

I am now able to +1.

T: +6

2 Likes

Accepting this application at +6

Welcome to the team!