How to Use Discovery Research

That was fast. The research tiers were bugged, apparently, but are now fixed.
I’ll update this when I can.

So, as of now (November 7th, 2021), R&D starts with 2500 points of Discovery Research at roundstart.
Here’s my preferred way of using it most effectively.

First, research Data Theory and Industrial Engineering.
Then unlock High-Efficiency Parts and then anything that’s at the first research level. This will give you level 3 research and also unlocks the T3 manipulators and matter bins which you can immediately use to upgrade your Protolathe and Xenobiology machines.

Then, get a Discovery Scanner. Grab one from an Explorer or print one (they’re cheap).
Scan a slime in Xenobiology to get 1000 Discovery Research.
Now you can research a fourth-level technology.
Finally, take your Discovery scanner and scan five of the station’s pets. This is most easily done by getting someone to let you use the security camera console. The Discovery Scanner can scan the pets through it.
With five pets scanned you have another 1000 research which will let you research the final tier of technologies, the fifth level.

Between steps you’ll want to do other normal Scientist things: build more servers, make a Toxin bomb, breed slimes, etc. because it’ll take time for your General Research points to build up.

Once you’ve done that, you’ll be well on your way to having everything researched even if you don’t have any Exploration Crew (except the technology they find on disks :frowning:).

Exploration is still fairly new so this may be subject to change.
Let me know if you have any suggestions!
Have a good shift!

fun stuff: scanning lavaland mobs gives 3000 for a legion, 1000 for a legion skull, 2000 for a watcher/goliath and 1000 for a grub.

scanning megafauna, which is doable from range without getting aggro’d, gives 10000

call your miners over and give them a scanner.

3 Likes

You can also go to the holodeck and set it to pet park. You can usually get enough discovery points with slime + the holopets found there.

2 Likes

You can also go to the holodeck and set it to pet park. You can usually get enough discovery points with slime + the holopets found there.

this will prolly get removed just for how cheesy it is. no joke.

3 Likes

Yep, I sincerely hope it gets removed, even if it saved me some pain in no exploration crew rounds.

1 Like

I just went ahead and did it

5 Likes

You can at least also fix the crab there, you get infinite crab meat by gibbing it

Yay.
Time to get absolutely fucked when playing Acacia.

Sorry dude, but I think it was a code oversight and was going to get fixed anyways eventually. If you have any suggestions I could include to at least compensate for this a little bit, let me know. But as craig says in his guide, scanning the station animals (Citrus, Renault, etc) should be enough discovery points anyways.

2 Likes

Yeah.
Again, you only need to get five of them for 1000 points. RD can do this roundstart by just walking onto the Bridge and using the camera console there.
And also as it was said, one Miner scanning one of the Lavaland creatures gets you at least 1000.

2 Likes

Just scan the clown, he’s an animal

3 Likes

You can build a camera console in sci by printing a circuit imprinter board and replacing your sci imprinter with it (warning: it’ll lose its silo link but you should have a silo linked protolathe beside it). This way you can BRPED upgrade and discovery scanner pets all around the station without any of the pain of having to actually go there.

1 Like

By the way, this is going to happen:

This means Science now will need more research points than before :frowning:

1 Like