How to Use Discovery Research 2: Tokyo Drift

Alright, so the bug that I was accidentally exploiting in my previous guide is fixed and now you actually need to get a bunch more than only 2000 extra Discovery Research.
Now to unlock a tier you need 20% of that tier’s research but this unlocks the tier and makes you no longer need any more Discovery Research for technology in that tier. It also reduces the cost of the technology in the next tier.
So, in order to most effectively use your Discovery Research, there’s an order that you should spend it.
There is one weird aspect that I noticed: once you reach the threshold to unlock a tier, you need to research one more thing in order to unlock it. The best way to do this is to simply research something at a lower tier that won’t require any Discovery Research. I’m not sure if this is a bug or not, but it’s a weird quirk I noticed.

Now, here’s how you spend your Discovery Research:

1. Research three Tier 2 technologies (3000).
  2. Research one Tier 0 or 1 technology to unlock Tier 2 proper.
  3. Research seven Tier 3 technologies (7000).
  4. Research one Tier 0, 1, or 2 technology to unlock Tier 3 proper.
  5. Research eight Tier 4 technologies (8000).
  6. Research one Tier 0, 1, 2, or 3 technology to unlock Tier 4 proper
  7. Research four Tier 5 technologies (4000).
  8. Research one Tier 0, 1, 2, 3, or 4 technology to finally unlock Tier 5 proper.
  9. Congratulations! You no longer need any more Discovery Research!

If you do the math you’ll notice that you need 22000 Discovery Research in total.
You will start the round with 2500, but how do you get the rest?
Well, it seems the fastest way to do this is Toxins:

Making a perfect 50k Toxins bomb will get 25000 Discovery Research.
The only thing you need to do this is the Industrial Engineering technology node which you can grab within a few minutes of roundstart for 7500 General Research.
Use @ivanmixo’s guide found HERE. It’s really good.

Otherwise you can just go about scanning things with a Discovery Scanner.
The Exploration Crew can scan two artifacts to get you 10000 each, completing it even more quickly than Toxins, but this is RNG dependent.

I hope this was helpful.
Please let me know if you notice any mistakes or more efficient/faster ways to do this. Thanks!

How can shaft miners help with this? I know scanning goliaths nets 2k and that you can scan watchers. Is there anything else we can scan to help?

1 Like

Yeah! You can scan any of the fauna and megafauna.
The megafauna net 10000 each, I think. You have unlimited range on the scanner so as long as you can see them, you can scan them.
This might even be faster than Exploration Crew scanning two artifacts but is kinda dangerous and also relies on RNG.

You can also scan Frank for 200!

1 Like

Yeah, all the pets get 200 each and a slime gets 1000.
In my old, obsolete guide, I recommended scanning one slime and five pets for 2000.
You only needed 4500 points in all to unlock everything before they fixed the bug that I was unknowingly abusing.
I think my guide drew attention to that bug because it was fixed just a couple days after I wrote it.

1 Like

Coders don’t actually play the game.
If you hadn’t let it slip, we would still be swimming in tech!
:cry:

3 Likes