Offender’s CKEY:Haliris

Offender’s In-Game Name (if relevant): n/a

Date (MM-DD-YYYY):04-01-2022

Round Number:42105

Rules Broken (if relevant):
7, Be Excellent to Each Other

Offender’s Discord: Haliris#5397

Part of Admin/Mentor Conduct Broken (if relevant):
Handle tickets respectfully, do not be condescending or aggressive in admin PMs.

Incident Description:
It was a fairly quiet shift, but I was having fun being a receptionist/comms manager of a warden for the sec dept.
Then Truthbringer rushed in!
I took this seriously, as did command. Alert was raised to blue, I gave out a shotgun to one security officer, along with a temperature gun.

At my discretion (per SOP on blue) I begin handing out weaponry.

Then… a warning! the cultists were charging brig!
To arms!

I ran out, and saw three individuals with cultist gear.
One of which was set to arrest for already attacking Truthbringer, a sec officer
Security opened fire, some with disablers, me with a laser gun on lethal, because they are known armed and dangerous criminals!
I shot at the culties, then, when they started falling over, I help intent stun batonned them.
The captain pulled out his sword and killed one.

Then this happened:

It was… a prank?
But like… They already assaulted truthbringer…
What the fuck?
I pick up the dead guy immediately, and take him to medbay.

What a fucking shit show. The guy had no cultist equipment aside from the sword he dropped while we were fighting and the boots, so I just warn medbay and fucking head back to the brig like the good little warden I am, asking the cap on the way back to the brig if I should continue distributing lethals (the cap answered no, after being bwoinked by Haliris)
and therefore asking secoffs I see on the way to return weapons to the brig.

It was around this time I get this fucking bwoink:
I’m fucking… astonished.
I get that sinking feeling you get when you realise the rest of the round is going to be being interrogated and condescended to by someone with no incentive to talk to you with anything even approaching respect or understanding.
here we fucking go.

I just sit at my desk like… Jesus christ it was all a set up. It was all a fucking set up to get security players banned. They literally perpetrated a false flag attack to get security players bwoinked. I was fucking framed!

Were we watching the same fucking situation!? This admin is acting like I could see everything he saw. As if I was able to see:

• people saying “no cult” (unreasonable, not the case from my pov)
  • The guy with the sword litterally screamed “BLABLABLA” while drawing a rune with crayons. (How was I, the Warden, who up until this point was out of range to see/hear any of that since I need to be, you know, in the warden office and/or armory meant to see or hear any of this nonsense.)

And here comes the condescension. I’m being treated like a naughty child by someone unhappy things didn’t go the way he wanted. Haliris states here that he wanted things to continue in a certain way, and it’s clear this bwoink, that by this point has wasted 20 minutes of my time and completely ruined my round, has come about because Haliris is annoyed that security acted in an entirely reasonable way to the threat.
Even pulls the classic “do you understand why I am talking to you” when they want to be maximally condescending.

well thanks a fucking bunch, Hilaris. This shit resulted in my inability to play out the rest of the round just because you felt it necessary to punish me for not doing what you wanted.
I get to play maybe two or three rounds after work in the evenings, and I don’t appreciate having one of them ruined by a power trip.

You stated that you wanted to make sure I wasn’t a “gamer”.
This could have been resolved by watching what I did and how I acted after the fight outside brig. I think carrying one of the “pranksters” to medbay immediately to avoid any further issue for them is proof enough that I wasn’t just trying to “horizontal valids”.

Additionally, you could have checked out what I was doing the rest of the round, hell, I had a talk with Grin Fandango earlier in that very round! we chatted about stuff, I was congenial, Grin was his usual quirky self, it was fun! Grin and I talked IC about the golden rule, you know, treat others as you’d wish to be treated.

Treat others as you’d wish treated, Haliris.

8 Likes

Rereading the logs and just… Wow.
“You imagined everything and just shot at them”
Are you fucking serious?

5 Likes

I was Truthbringer and I’m gonna be completely honest. I was appalled by the use of lethal force by commanding staff in general. I saw the captain literally stabbing Blake (one of the pranksters) to death when he was crit and that’s a gross violation of SoP since they are still crewmembers that are brainwashed and thus should just be given holy water + mindshielded and sent on their way. In that whole situation, I’m pretty sure it was just me and HoS trying to detain them nonlethally.

The reasons why I do not think lethal force was required was as followed:

1. First, the only encounter we had was me stumbling upon their “base” and then I got hit one time by a “cultist”, Being outnumbered 3 to 1, I choose to retreat since fighting three-on-one in a narrow, dark chokepoint was suicide.
    - I don’t think in this situation, leading to escalating to lethals was warranted since this is at worst just a tiny skirmish nor did they use anything that would have stunned me. I think for this encounter we can make the determination that they were not serious about killing or enslaving me as an officer. Prehaps it was my mistake not communicating this IC but at the time, I was just focused on getting the word out there so people would avoid falling into a cultist trap in maint.

2. They rushed to the brig with only melee weapons (no throwing cult weapons or even shields) so we had a home turf advantage (unlikely anyone who would interfere with us detaining them and deconverting them). When the situation is melee vs ranged, we should easily be able to kite and out-gun them with nonlethals and detain them (disablers, flashbangs, baton,etc).

• I did not agree with instantly going to lethals since it had not been escalated to that point, not to mention there were only three confirmed “cultists” and we were a full security staff + captain. We had more than enough force to detain these three without needing to use violence. Prehaps if we had a firefight with cultists before the brig incident, it may be warranted but as it stood at the time, even with the knowledge we thought they were real cultists, did not require such a response.
  • I’m not sure, but I think them rushing brig when under normal circumstances, a front on attack on brig with only three people and them missing half of their equipment was doomed to fail, and that’s the point. I think they realized that if they didn’t get caught, it was going to escalate into something ugly.

Honestly, I thought the whole prank was clever, to be honest. Perhaps the most frustrating thing to make that came as a result of this situation was Robo building a fully-armed combat mech when there were rumors of a cult, which was later taken over by a malf AI that was working with the blob to kill half of the crew and give the blob a victory on a silver platter. That’s really the thing that angers me the most in this whole situation.

3 Likes

Hilaris hit me up on discord and we talked it out. Feel free to close this.

3 Likes

I knew very little of this, as you can see from my take on events. differences in context, differences in experience, differences in conclusions drawn and levels of force.

I understand why you have your take on this and respect it.

1 Like

Closing per request of opener. Doesn’t look as if this is something that requires further looking into either.