Haliris Moderator Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): Haliris

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Haliris#5397

How often are you online to help?: In the evening and afternoon (GMT+1). I’ve yet to receive my final schedule from University for this semester, but I should be free at least four days a week and in the weekends.

What changes, if any, would you bring?: Not much out of the blue as a moderator. I don’t know how BYOND code works. The rest I can do without being a mod like maintaining the wiki. The only thing I would do if I could is experimenting by adding a “magistrate” role (mentioned in the space law rework thread), splitting the judicial power from sec so they can fully dedicate to their roles as enforcers, and not be the sole judge and jury on the station. Being a law student, I think about this idea a bit too much.

How old are you?: 23

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I’ve played for a bit now and want to give some of my time by helping maintaining the server. The latest talks on the forum about the lack of staff for moderation motivated me for writting this app.

How long have you been playing SS13?: My first connection to Golden probably dates back to 2017-2019, although I’ve only gotten into SS13 and started really playing in September 2021. Hours: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: For four months roughly, and I’ve messed around on Golden a few years ago.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 7, I know most jobs and most mechanics.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games): 2, I know roughly what admins can do but I’ve never used their tools.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13: Not much, but I’ve adminned a minecraft server one of my friends was hosting during highschool (30+ players on average). The reason this is worth mentioning I believe is because it taught me a great deal about how to manage egos and handle petty drama.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: Nope

Your strengths: I’m thick skinned and patient. I try to do my best to keep my emotions and pride in check when judging others. This is in my opinion the best way to be unbiased and fair.

Your weaknesses: I happen to be insecure at moments, especially when I’m thrown into an environment I’m not acquainted with, which leads me to being too passive in social interactions. As a moderator, this will likely lead to me being too lenient or not proactive enough with bwoinking someone until I get the jist of it and I build enough confidence. I’m essentially too scared to mess up.
Also worth mentioning, I have a low attention span to the point where I’m going to get checked up irl. This can result in me missing details missing details or pieces of information if they are mentioned only briefly.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: People who act shitty towards new players and out of line backseaters.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Humility. Given the nature of this game and the tendency people have to take it way too seriously, I believe the ability of a staff member to remain calm and solely focus on what the server needs is to be valued. Almost all dramas we see on reddit and such involving admins on servers have egos and personnal feelings out of place from one or more parties.

What makes a staff team good?: Communication and being as honest as possible. The gap between the playerbase and the staff team should be as small as possible so the two can understand and talk to each other in an effort to make the server better.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: To create an environment in which people can have fun and enjoy the game. In the case of Beestation: RP through SS13’s game mechanics.
For a moderator, this would mean helping fullmins with tickets and making sure the server isn’t disrupted by people who are simply not interested by what Bee has to offer.

What kind of player are you?: Job simulator dude that can spend hours on pet projects just to fail, rejoin, and try all over again and still fail. I also enjoy helping new players and have no qualms spending entire shifts dedicated to teaching people engineering. Although I try nowadays to interact more with people, I have no shame admitting my RP isn’t excellent and I’m working on characters that hopefully could be more memorable and interesting to others.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: Nothing much really, I don’t really enjoy Discord in general so I don’t expect to post more there. However given my status as a staff member I would probably join in conversations regarding the server and would definitely get myself involved in forum threads that are relevant as such.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:

Two things to consider: in what context did the clown acquire the gun and why did he space it. HoS’ gun is a sensitive item and stealing is an antagonist action.

I would first check the clown to see if he is an antag.
If he is, no actions are required.
If he isn’t, I would bwoink him and ask him why he did that, just to get his side of the incident while I double-check logs.

Assuming things are what they are, I would remind him of the status of the HoS’ gun, that it is a possible antag objective and that he potentially griefed players with his “prank”.

The sanction ranges from a note to jobban/server ban.
If the clown is a low hour player/has no history and shows good faith during the ticket, issue a note. If the incident occured during red alert, issue a one hour server ban telling him to reread the rules, as it aggravates the self-antagonism.
If the clown is an experienced player, issue a higher severity note (I think they work like that? If not, then a day ban). If the history of the player is terrible, with several notes and bans, elevate the ban length potentially all the way to perma with input from an admin.

Finally, I would respawn the HOS’ gun in his locker and issue a CC announcement so that other players know where it is.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:

Adminjail the player and ask him why he did that. Voluntarily sabotaging atmos requires a decent amount of experience so we can exclude ignorance.
Checking logs and the player retelling of the event in the ticket, assuming nothing important has been missed, I would permanently ban him.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

Considering how often chemistry explodes without any antagonist involvement, this looks like an IC mistake. Still I would bwoink the chemist and simply ask him what happened. Assuming nothing relevant to the server rules comes up in the ticket, I would redirect him to the chemistry guide on the wiki and tell him to ask for help next time he’s experimenting, either IC from other players or by mhelping.

You have a very good note/ban history, hours+activity are on the lower end of things though. Couple things i want to add before posting my questions.

The changes you talk about here are all game design/code related questions. We as administrative staff don’t really decide anything code related. Our inputs might be looked at a bit more but that’s about it.

It is very important to get the full picture when handling tickets. Missing key details or not investigating things thorough will lead to bad bans/staff interactions for the players.

I’m going to be straight up honest here. Using reddit as a metric to judge administrative staff of ss13 servers is a terrible idea.

This is something that worries me. Most of our communication happens via discord. I’m not sure if you can even be a staff member without using discord actively.

Apart from that we also moderate the discord server and that is something that you are expected to do as a moderator.

Questions time. Note that these are rather hard to answer and it is fine if you get them wrong.

1. A botanist ahelps himself, saying that they accidently had water spray over their plant bag thus creating a ton of killer tomatos. You check the hallways and notice that there are atleast 50 killer tomatos around. They only have around 3-5 hours ingame and no prior notes/bans. What if anything do you do? And how do you respond to his ahelp?

2. You jump onto the server and notice that another admin spawned a pulse rifle and deathsquad gear for a player and themselves, both being traitors with a hijack objective. After asking them about it they tell you that it is all part of a small prayer to make the round more interesting. Anything wrong here? What if anything do you do?

3. A traitor with an emag and a poison kit gets arrested. There is only the acting HOS and a security officer currently employed in security and there is a acting captain (HOP). The traitor gear gets stored in evidence and shortly afterwards they get executed by the acting HOS for being an enemy of the corporation. After looking through the saylogs you notice that the HOS never asked the captain if they are allowed to execute the traitor. Anything wrong here? What if anything do you do?

4. The CE and two other engineers are working on a CO2 supermatter setup in engineering. An assistant with security gear then breaks into engineering and instantly murders the two engineers and the CE in cold blood without saying a single word with an ebow+esword and without the two engineers/CE having made any attempts to attack/stop the traitor. The CE ahelps then ahelps saying that they have been murdered without being a threat or even being talked to by the attacker.
    Checking the traitor panel you notice that the assistant has a steal and a kill objective (a medical doctor and stealing the sm sliver) and that they have to escape alive (no hijack or die a glorious death). What if anything do you do? And what do you tell the CE?

5. Someone ahelps saying that they’ve played alot on TG-station and they’d now like to know if this is an LRP,MRP or HRP server. What do you tell them?

Ah, I misunderstood the template then.

Why did I mention reddit oh god.

I wasn’t very clear my mistake. When I stated that, I just wanted to say that I don’t use it for my entertainment and don’t find particular enjoyment out of it. However I’m familiar with the app, and used it during quarantines for University work. I fully understand the role of moderation there and that it is the platform used by staff to communicate. As such if my app is accepted I will of course use it more not only to fulfill my expected duties but also to interact with players then.
I should have added this to the “what will change” section.

Now for the questions:

[Assuming they aren’t an antagonist]
This looks fishy as their explanation doesn’t add up. Killer tomatoes are activated in hand, not by splashing them with water like you do with monkey cubes.
The second problematic part is the pretended “accident” as there are at least 50 around, so that means they harvested several batches and weren’t simply experimenting with crops like some low hour players do. Overall this ahelp looks like someone trying to come up with an excuse for griefing before an admin jumps on them.
I would check logs to confirm that they are the one that activated them. I would then answer the ahelp and asks why they were growing and harvesting killer tomatoes in the first place.
Considering the ahelp was made in bad faith in the first place, I don’t think anything would come out of it. I don’t even know how someone else could have activated the tomatoes in a way to make them believe it was them with the water.
As such, I would remind them of the no-self antag rule as well as the ticket policy since they openly lied. After checking their history, I would issue a week long ban at least. Note that I’m not sure about mod policies, and when auths are required or not, if an auth is required I would get one from an admin first.

An admin spawning himself in a round with powerful gear and a murderbone objective is enough to raise an eyebrow, the fact that they are doing this while tagging along with another player is worrying. I think I would ping a headmin on discord and warn them of what is going on. As for the ongoing round, I would watch over them to make sure they aren’t metacomming as well.

The HoS broke both security SOP and Space Law as EOTC was reworked and now only applies to round defining antags such as wizards, nukies etc. Executions require the captain’s or acting captain’s authorization.
I would bwoink the HoS to confirm what they just did and ask them for their reasoning. I would check their history to adjust the sanction. Given how openly they’ve broken the rules, I would issue at least a month-long security job ban, aggravated in case of bad history.

I would answer the ahelp saying i’m investigating this. Checking logs to confirm that what they are reporting did actually happen. If so, considering the traitor has an objective directly relevant to engineering (SM sliver), I wouldn’t issue actions against them. Antagonists are free to dispose of anyone in the department relevant to their steal objective, whether it be for acquiring access or disposing of potential witnesses. I would leave the ticket open for a bit and then answer again stating “It has been handled” and close the ticket

Beestation is a roleplay server. The MRP label was dropped as it inspired more confusion than anything else. If you are wondering about how you should act, we expect you to roleplay a character working on a research station owned by Nanotrasen, to at least act like you want to keep your job. Make sure you have read the rules before playing. Feel free to ask more questions if you are wondering about anything regarding rules. Have fun!

I’ve got some concerns related around the killer tomato question as well as a couple of other flags, primarily regarding activity in the community. I appreciate the effort you’ve put into your application, and your good track record on server, but I’m not sure if you’re a good fit for the admin team. I do suggest you pursue trying to get the magistrate role introduced. Start talking with some maintainers and coders.

I hate to start threads off on the negative, but this is a -1 from me.

T: -1

I don’t want to peanut on a here, but I know this will get overlooked otherwise.

This is incredible.

I have talked to them in the past on wiki related changes and I believe them to be a great benefit to the project, especially with the initiative they’ve shown.

Just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

This is a good point to bring up, thankee

1 Like

I am willing to potentially give you a chance, answers seem good to me so far, and you’ve certainly done a lot of wiki work. The lack of community interaction on discord is worrisome but I think the initial month as a mod under evaluation would be a good time to see interaction levels and so on.

Here are a few Qs, some tougher and some not. Some definitely don’t have a clear cut answer.

Some tools you have at your disposal are bwoinks, notes and bans, aheals, and the ability to subtle message players. You can also mute ahelps, players from dchat, ooc and so on. This is more so to help you know some tools available to you.

1. Are you planning to go for fullmin at the moment?

2. Person X keeps opening ahelps in bad faith. The issues pointed out would generally be extremely minor, and don’t really impact the round much in a good or bad way. X is angry that you didn’t resolve their ticket they way you wanted them to, and is heavily salting in dchat. What would you do? Are you going to do anything?

3. You bwoink someone for an answer as to why they beat the snot out of someone and left them for dead. Theyre pretty NRP and are not really doing anything important in round (not treating patients or talking to command or anything). They say that they have a moment to chat in the bwoink, and then after answering your initial question, don’t respond to your follow up questions. Its been 5 minutes and theyre running around not really doing anything.

What would you do?

1. What is the purpose of a bwoink to you?

2. A new player joins the server and the various crew harass them early in, non-antags drive-by punching them and so on. They are definitely a new player. They eat a bluespace banana and get teleported into the captain’s office on accident and are then arrested by security. The player is still learning the controls. Would you take action?

3. Someone at full health stops in the hallway to answer one of your bwoinks as you investigate an issue they witnessed. A non-antag hits them on the head with a crowbar a few times and runs away as they type to you. By the time you are done chatting with them, theyre starting to only have 1/4 of a health bar left. Do you think you would aheal them? Why or not?

Here we go. Warning, lots of text:

Not at the moment, I initially made this app solely with the intent of helping with work that not many people would wish to do. I understood that moderators are defined as “Call center support” or janitors. I can’t in good faith pretend to a fullmin position right now as my lack of involvement on Discord and in the community was rightfully pointed out. However, if everything goes right and my involvement improves to the standard expected of a staff member, I would of course reconsider it if the question was to be raised again.

While I understand how frustrating it can be for them to not have things go their way, I would explain to them that their ticket has been resolved and to try to control themselves in dchat otherwise I would be required to take action.
If they have any complaints about how I personally handled the ticket, they should write a staff report on the forum and have my actions reviewed by another staff member, not lash out publicly during the round.
If I see that they cannot stop salting in dchat to the point of being generally obnoxious, I would mute them. If during their salting they resort to using slurs or personal insults, I would ban them very shortly as a time out on the grounds of rule 0.

I would bwoink them again asking them to answer my questions, telling them that I can see that they aren’t busy. If I don’t get a response after ten minutes and nothing is keeping them busy, I would request to ban them permanently until appeal since their conduct is similar to someone who has disconnected mid-ticket.
If they answer again, I would resume handling the issue as normal, in this case checking whether they are antag or not and checking their objectives to determine if the murder happened within the rules.
If they are non-antagonist and nothing worth noting has come up from the bwoink, a server ban would be issued for breaking rule 1, LRP behaviour and self-antagonism.
If they are antagonist and the murder happened within allowed antag conduct, I would give them a verbal warning about ticket conduct, to act with good faith during tickets and not voluntarily waste the time of staff. I would also remind them of Rule 1, that they must at least try to roleplay, antags have some leeways but aren’t totally exempt from this rule.

To me the first and foremost purpose of a bwoink is to gather information. Either to get a player’s side of a story on something I’ve witnessed directly or to confirm what someone reports through an ahelp. While Logs cannot lie, they do not carry the human element in them and I think relying to much on them solely can sometimes cause unfortunate misunderstandings hence why bwoinking when sanctions are in the question is necessary.
Also worth mentioning in my opinion, the disruptive nature of Bwoinks for a player’s round should be considered beforehand.

There is a lot to unpack here, i’ll try to make this answer as clear as possible but there are different events to proceed. In summary, except for Security’s involvement, I would do a heavy log dive to see which behaviour was IC and which wasn’t.

To start with the simplest, I would check logs and saylogs to try and get an overview of how the arrest happened after they got teleported by the bluespace banana. Sec is within its rights in arresting the player for trespassing although I would make sure the defense of the player was taken into account if it was voiced and make sure Security is respecting SOP by giving out a reasonable sentence. I would allow some leeway for Sec if they properly handled this IC and would only intervene if a blatant breach of SOP reveals itself (unreasonable brigging time, unwarranted and excessive harmbatoning, execution etc…)

Secondly, how did the new player acquire and eat the bluespace banana in the first place? Is the botanist griefing, or anyone else?
I would attempt to piece this together again with logs and saylogs to clear out any issues relevant to rules that could have occured. If the event happened purely IC, for instance a bluespace banana was left on botany’s counter, the new player grabbed it and then ate it out of pure ignorance later on, no actions would be taken.
If griefing becomes apparent, for instance, someone stunned the new player and forcefed them the banana, I would bwoink the instigator and ask them to explain.

And finally, for the hard part, the crew’s conduct with the new player. Again, logs and saylogs would hopefully help me piece this together. I would mainly examine the involved players’ behaviours with the new player, being watchful for ock-ick and the such. The point would be to distinguish what would be purely accidental through missclicks, what is motivated IC, and what behaviour breaks the rules. In essence, if the behaviour of the crew with the new player, has zero IC justification, and appears solely motivated for OOC reasons (bullying a new player etc), I would bwoink the relevant parties and ask them to explain.
I would bwoink the new player at any point if I need the side of their story, however I would make an extra effort in taking my time, explaining what is happening and what I need them to describe to me by being as precise as possible. The issue here and why I didn’t start by bwoinking the new player is their probable lack of knowledge about the game, so I would expect the information they could provide to be limited or skewed.

As unfair as it may sound, I don’t believe this warrant an aheal. They weren’t killed from this and weren’t critted either, it’s simply a matter of a few bruise packs and a gauze.
I think direct in-round interventions like this one is best kept to a minimum, even for something as insignificant, it shouldn’t become a habit under no circumstances. I would instead investigate the non antag that whacked them and potentially bwoink them if their behaviour happens to be problematic.
The only exception to this strict regime I would impose myself is if the population of the server is so low that the player would have an incredibly hard time getting this simple medicine.

Edit: several typos

1 Like

There are some good answers in there. Half the fun of mod apps is being able to ask about situation I’ve found myself in, and seeing how others would react.

• No.2 is good
  • For No.3,
    I did not mention it but there is also the ability to admin prison somebody. It will be a good practice too, to check on someone’s antag status and so on pre-bwoink, as it helps you to interpret their responses based on that information :slightly_smiling_face:

Generally notes happen before bans unless there is something extremely obvious like spamming the N word and so on, but punishments are usually up to the banning admin. Input can also be gotten from other admins!

• No.4 Good insight

• No.s 5 & 6 were actually a combined incident I dealt with, with an absolutely brand new player. They had ahelped asking a mentor question of some sort. It was a rough round for them but they made it fortunately. Watching the whole thing as a ghost, I ended up subtle messaging players interacting with them like the Sec Off with a simple “X is a brand new employee, do what you must but please be kind to them.” This ended up getting players to RP more with the new player. It was my personal choice to aheal them because, quite simply, they had literally no idea how things worked. The two drive-by players were later banned by another admin.

Sometimes unfortunately, you won’t have time to do a deep log dive for one reason or another - it is always good to ask for additional admins if you think there is too much work or are getting overwhelmed with tickets. If you get the opportunity to mod, I think you’ll develop a sense for certain ticket types and workload.

Overall, I am satisfied and am willing to give you a shot. I think you know your shortcoming(s) such as minimal discord community interaction, and are willing to work on them.

For you, my first ever mod +1. Good luck with your app!

T:+0

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips! I’ll remember them if this app goes through.

1 Like

The answers to the questions have been very good apart from what Sergei pointed out. Which does show that you have what it takes to answer and resolve tickets ingame. Especially because i consider these questions to be rather hard.

I’ve looked a bit further into your discord activity though. You have exactly four messages in total on our discord. Three of them being ?cs commands. Which leaves you with a single actual message.
I know this sounds rough but your non existant discord activity ontop of what Sergei said makes me give you a -1 aswell.

T:-1

I’ll be very happy to change this into a +1 if you come back in a couple months while having improved in regards to what we pointed out here.

Based on the answers presented in the thread, I’m going to give this application a +1. In my personal opinion, you’re spot on with the killer tomatoes question and that’s great.

Discord activity is not an indicator of fair judgement, and the relatively quite few issues with the questions can be resolved during training.

T: 0

2 Likes

I’m going to have to agree with Ivniinvi here.

I like your answers and your history is pretty impressive to me.

I think you should try spending more time on Beecord when part of the staff team, but I don’t think it should be a requirement or measure of someone being worth for the staff team or not when making an application. I personally was pretty new to the community when I did my app, and, even if I did send my fair share of messages over Discord, I was not really that integrated into it. That integration occurred more organically once I joined the team. I also think there’s at least one other moderator who didn’t have much activity in Discord when making their app, and that certainly changed after getting accepted.

In any case, I say we give you a chance and see how you fare with the moderator status, and make conclusions of your Discord activity as such when we have actual datapoints while being part of the staff team.

+1

T: +1

2 Likes

You have one of the best note and ban histories I’ve seen players have, and I don’t see any horribly bad answers to questions that were provided here.

However, I do believe that Beestation staff should spend more time in the community outside of the game as well, though I imagine this would likely change by proxy, as you’d be asking a lot of questions in admin channels, asking for help, etc.

I’m willing to give you a chance, take my +1.

T:+2

4 Likes

While you are working on a ticket during post round, several more people start to open ahelps, and people in OOC and Deadchat are starting to get spicy and complaining, possibly aggressive towards eachother. What can you do to help give space and keep people entertained?

You receive an ahelp from security asking about if they can execute someone for knowing sleeping carp?

Semi-related question. After answering an ahelp from security they start to complain about Space Law. To the point of reopening your ahelp or opening a new one. How/Where do you direct their frustrations?

A clown shoves a blind crippled felinid into disposals. Then later on you see it happening again. And later on a third time. Do you step in?

1 Like

I would start Battle Royale, I don’t think I would wait for people to get impatient and just start it on my own if I realize I need more time to process the tickets.
If I’m overwhelmed to the point where one round of BR isn’t gonna be enough to process all the tickets, I would also ask for help from other staff on discord.

Crewmembers can only be executed with Cap/Hos/Warden approval if they are convicted of a capital crime. Knowing sleeping carp isn’t.

It is at best a misdemeanour since it is a technique only known by syndicate agents. So if it is the only charge, that would be 10 minutes brigging maximum. I would have to double check, but I think the infraction is named “Hostile Agent”.
I would also tell the person who opened the ahelp to reread the Space Law wiki page (with a link), and that they did well ahelping this before taking actions.

I would tell them first and foremost that they mustn’t reopen closed tickets whether directly or by opening a new one about the same matter.
The next course of action if they are disatisfied with my actions is to submit a staff report and have it reviewed by a superior staff member.

I would also tell them that a ticket isn’t the place for expressing opinions about the rules, that should be done on the forum. For Space Law especially, a feddback thread was created and is still open at the moment. If not then they are free to create one and start a discussion.

Lastly I would warn them that continuing to spam ahelps would lead to a mute for the rest of the round. Any subsequent behaviour such as spamming dchat, Looc etc. Would result in additional sanctions all the way to a note.
I would only request a ban if ock-ick is in the question or out of line slurs/insults are used.

That depends mainly on the clown being an antag or not.
If the clown is an antag, I wouldn’t step in since the clown isn’t murderboning. One of the exceptions to this I imagine is if the clown is actually harassing the player based on OOC facts.

If the clown isn’t an antag, bwoink them and ask them why they are pushing that character in particular into disposals on sight.
If there is no IC motivation and the clown conducts themselves properly in the ticket, issue a note and remind them that the clown/mime and stage magician are supposed to be funny and entertain the crew, not be a nuisance.

If there is no IC motivation, and the clown conducts themselves badly in the ticket and/or has bad history. Consider a short job or server ban with input from an admin.

Lastly, if there is actual IC motivation (the felinid challenged them, stole their shoes etc…) and the action is a result of roleplay with proper engagement from both players. I probably wouldn’t take action. I would tell the clown however to switch gimmicks at some point and find another prank, to be creative rather than annoying.

1 Like

I’ll give this a conditional +1
As a moderator you will have to talk in discord in admin channels, and interact with the player base a whole lot more.
Be ready

2 Likes

The current total is now:

T+3

1 Like

I am willing to give you a +1 here, based on your history and your answers. The contributions towards the wiki are also great!

Other admins have already stressed the importance of being involved in the community outside of the game. As a staff member, you will be interacting with the community not only through game, but on the discord and forum. Discord also acts as an important tool for staff.

Good luck!

T: +4

I don’t have all that much to add that hasn’t already been said by other admins.
Your history combined with the answers you’ve provided so far are good enough for me despite your discord activity.
Good luck. +1

T:+5