H42 Admin Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):
h42

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):
h42 #3650

How often are you online to help? (Timezone):
~2100-0300 GMT

What changes, if any, would you bring?:
Another heartbeat to serve the later highpop and early lowpop times.

How old are you?:
20 - 30

Why do you want to be a moderator?:
I think it will be an adventure!

How long have you been playing SS13?:
10 Oct 2018

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
13 Sep 2020

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:
2. I’m not very good at this game.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):
4. I don’t have any online administration experience, but I used to work service while getting my degree and used to very frequently screen phone calls for my local radio station.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:
I have no admin or moderator experience on any server.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
I have no alternate accounts.

Your strengths:
I am very focused on my work while still being able to see the big picture on overarching tasks.

Your weaknesses:
I am very quiet and tend not to speak unless asked.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
People who go out of their way to become well-known, instead of trying to do something interesting and become well-known in the process.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
Humility. It is hard to maintain it when playing god, and a lack of it can lead to poor decisions.

What makes a staff team good?:
Creating a sense of community and supporting each other. Misery loves company, but in a positive light.

What is a staff team’s purpose?:
To make sure the mission statement is upheld. In the case of this server, creating a beginner-friendly roleplay environment.

What kind of player are you?:
One who pushes others to roleplay, especially targeting those who tend to suffer from a lack of interaction. A good example of this was a recent round where I was thrown into a prison cell with a straightjacket for about 40 minutes. Could I have easily escaped? Was it more optimal to be more subtle with my goals, avoiding the situation entirely? The answer to both of these is yes, but this created a better story for everyone involved.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
I’ll probably observe even more than I do already, but with more of a purpose.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
This is a rule 9.8 violation. Barring any interesting roleplay situations, and assuming someone ahelp’ed this event, give the clown a scaling note/ban, and tell them to steal the cape or beret next time, its funnier.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
This is a rule 8 violation. Lock them immediately, question them for an explanation. Regardless of explanation, issue a heavy server ban, most likely permanent.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
Assuming the explosive mixture is something reasonable to create as a chemist, no rule was broken here. If it was unreasonable (e.g. meth), barring interesting roleplay events, that would be a rule 1.1 violation. Check for history and apply a scaling note/ban.

Can you elaborate on this point? Just so I can understand better since does it mean you don’t have much game knowledge (what the different jobs do, antag types and their abilities, etc.) or does it mean you lack in-game skills (combat, RP, etc.)

1 Like

Sure thing.

I have a total understanding of how the jobs work and how a round “flows”. I have a general understanding of all the mechanics in this game.

What I struggle with is niche game knowledge, specifically relating to heads of staff and antagonists. Having a poor internet connection and a general want to talk my way out of situations has led to me rarely wanting to assume a head or antagonist role.

Examples of this include the DRAGnet, augmenting cameras, declaring war as nuclear operatives, the telescopic baton, glue, and setting up complex supermatters (tritium).

Let me know if that doesn’t answer your question.

Don’t lie to me, your ckey is NULL…

on a seirous note ill look over this after work just had to get that in there lol

1 Like

So I may or may not have forgotten to come back and ask my questions so let me throw some out

1. A player joins and you notice they are a brand new player, after watching them for some time they definitely know what they are doing and have a thorough understanding of the game, what would you do if anything?

2. You receive an ahelp in game from an antag saying that Officer Bernard is shitsec and arresting them for no reason. Officer Bernard has an extensive history of bad sec performance. The ahelping player tells you that they were bag searched for no reason. What things would you look for here to come to a decision on how to handle this?

3. Pretend this is an actual ahelp conversation in game. “Are you even going to handle this? Last time I did this I got a note for it!”

1 Like

Your 30 hour workday must be rough :P឵឵ ឵

1. A player joins and you notice they are a brand new player, after watching them for some time they definitely know what they are doing and have a thorough understanding of the game, what would you do if anything?

This is most likely ban evasion, but if there is no matching IP/CID, I would simply keep a close eye on them and handle them like any other griefer if/when they break any rules.

1. You receive an ahelp in game from an antag saying that Officer Bernard is shitsec and arresting them for no reason. Officer Bernard has an extensive history of bad sec performance. The ahelping player tells you that they were bag searched for no reason. What things would you look for here to come to a decision on how to handle this?

First, past history only applies if there is a written history in notes. Being arrested and bag searched is regardless of alert level is an IC issue, but it has to be roleplayed out. If there are poor saylogs, ask Bernard about the situation and likely apply a scaling note/roleban from security.

1. Pretend this is an actual ahelp conversation in game. “Are you even going to handle this? Last time I did this I got a note for it!”

I would first hop over to them and see if there is anything blatantly happening. If I don’t see anything, ask “What needs to be handled?”

And a question for you: What would you say is the hardest part of adminning?

Its also possible they are from a similar server, which happens quite often. Generally watch a while and if all seems well just make sure they read the rules

Let’s say he has a written note history but diving into logs you find he was told by the AI that the person had suspiscious gear and it is blue. Who would you respond to and how would you respond to the original ahelper or to Bernard?

“This fucking scientist is creating a ton of sentient creatures in xenobio!”

Ill come back to this when i have more time

1 Like

Its also possible they are from a similar server, which happens quite often. Generally watch a while and if all seems well just make sure they read the rules

I thought it was brand new as in ckey made today. My bad!

Let’s say he has a written note history but diving into logs you find he was told by the AI that the person had suspiscious gear and it is blue. Who would you respond to and how would you respond to the original ahelper or to Bernard?

Since it is blue alert, random bag searches are permitted, let alone having a reason to do so. Provided ample time was given to comply to the search, this an IC issue. Tell the original ahelper to seek IC retribution, and close the ticket accordingly.

“This fucking scientist is creating a ton of sentient creatures in xenobio!”

Check for any antag datum, then check for any misbehaving animals. If there are some, check what orders the animals were given. If the animals are not doing anything rule-breaking, send another message to the ahelper:

“This is an IC issue. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!”

Then close the ticket accordingly. If they open up a new ticket about this, reject with no reply and ahelp mute. If the second reply openly insults me, apply a scaling note/ban for breaking rule 4.3.

I went back and re-read my original question and that was what i intended… whoops this is why we don’t take ages to respond to questions haha
Good answer nevertheless

Good answer here but if you ever tell a nonantag to seek ic retribution be very careful, this opens a whole box of overescalation

Excellent response, remember its all good to help calm a player or deescalate something, but admins aren’t players punching bags when they’re upset!

I gave this a lot of thought before coming back to answer it and my answer might seem underwhelming for now but you’ll come to understand. What each admin considers hard is going to vary greatly, for me personally there are actually multiple things I’d say take this spot together but I don’t think they should really be discussed here, for now ill leave you with this: sometimes you’ll doubt yourself and your choices, there’s nothing wrong with asking for help or second opinions but don’t forget too have some confidence in yourself. At the end of the day we’re all human and make mistakes. Make your decisions with confidence and if you make a mistake own up to it, most people will forgive you for an honest mistake.

After that big ol wall of text: you’ve given great responses and seem to have the right minset and attitude to do well, allow me to award you your first +1 of this app.

Total: +1

1 Like

Here’s a handful of questions, some of them are fairly complicated.
Good luck.

1. Over the course of multiple rounds you witness the same person latejoin right after the round has started and then proceed to walk off the arrivals shuttle, die, then immediately disconnect. - Anything off about this behavior?

2. You recieve a ticket from a Security Officer claiming that they had just been murdered by a Mime they had tried to arrest for a minor crime. Upon checking the logs you see that the Sec Officer had asked them to comply before beginning to try and incappacitate them with their disabler. The Mime then shoved them down, beat them into soft-crit, and then epi-penned them and started dragging them towards medical. The Security Officer then uses the *succumb verb and opens the aforementioned ticket. Neither of them are antagonists. - Rules broken (if any)? Anything stand out?

3. You recieve a ticket from a seemingly new player saying that they had just accidentally walked off the arrival shuttle before it had landed, they are asking if you could possibly revive them. The round has just started and they aren’t the target of any of the currently spawned antagonists. - For this question assume that you are a Full Admin. Do you take any action?

4. Shortly after the round begins you see the Captain raise the alert level to Blue. They then go to their office and retreive their antique laser gun before lowering the alert back down to Green. They do not return the laser gun at any point in the round. - Rules broken (if any)?

5. You receive an angrily worded ticket from a Traitor Assistant demanding that the Head of Security be banned because they had just executed them “for no reason”. Upon questioning the HoS about why they had them executed they respond that they were found with an EMAG and were therefore considered an Enemy of The Corporation. - Rules broken (if any)?

1 Like
  1. Over the course of multiple rounds you witness the same person latejoin right after the round has started and then proceed to walk off the arrivals shuttle, die, then immediately disconnect. - Anything off about this behavior?

Dying how? If they are using the suicide verb or otherwise actively killing themselves, this is likely violating rule 15.2, since this is a common sign of antag rolling. Check notes and issue a scaling note/antag ban.

1. You recieve a ticket from a Security Officer claiming that they had just been murdered by a Mime they had tried to arrest for a minor crime. Upon checking the logs you see that the Sec Officer had asked them to comply before beginning to try and incappacitate them with their disabler. The Mime then shoved them down, beat them into soft-crit, and then epi-penned them and started dragging them towards medical. The Security Officer then uses the *succumb verb and opens the aforementioned ticket. Neither of them are antagonists. - Rules broken (if any)? Anything stand out?

Escalation policy was followed here. The security officer was permitted to go to escalation step 3 in accordance with space law, and the defender mime opted to escalate to step 4. However, resisting arrest in the first place without a good reason is a rule 9 break. Ask the mime why they resisted arrest. If no good roleplay reason is provided, apply a scaling note/ban to the mime.

1. You recieve a ticket from a seemingly new player saying that they had just accidentally walked off the arrival shuttle before it had landed, they are asking if you could possibly revive them. The round has just started and they aren’t the target of any of the currently spawned antagonists. - For this question assume that you are a Full Admin. Do you take any action?

Throw them like a meteor to the station so their body is visible through a window. Tell them that I’ve done all I can and that we can only hope a crewmember sees them, and to use the pray command in the IC tab for admin requests that don’t involve rule breaks in the future.

1. Shortly after the round begins you see the Captain raise the alert level to Blue. They then go to their office and retreive their antique laser gun before lowering the alert back down to Green. They do not return the laser gun at any point in the round. - Rules broken (if any)?

Heads of staff are held to a higher standard when it comes to SOP. Ask them why they raised the alert to blue earlier, and why they have the gun. Barring any roleplay considerations I missed, this is breaking rule 1.3 and arguably rule 12.3. Apply a scaling note/ban accordingly.

1. You receive an angrily worded ticket from a Traitor Assistant demanding that the Head of Security be banned because they had just executed them “for no reason”. Upon questioning the HoS about why they had them executed they respond that they were found with an EMAG and were therefore considered an Enemy of The Corporation. - Rules broken (if any)?

This would be true with old space law, but the new space law would have this under possession of illegal or inherently dangerous equipment, a major crime not deserving of execution, regardless of permission from the captain/trial. Apply a scaling note/ban, citing rule 1.3 and telling the HoS to re-read space law.

And a question for you: I’ve heard mention of staff meetings in the discord. How often and how long do they occur?

Misworded this slightly. I meant that they were walking off the shuttle before it had docked to kill themselves. Answer is fine regardless.

Good answer for the most part. This was a bit of a trick question though.

In this situation it’s fairly apparent that the Mime did not intend to kill them and was taking steps to prevent that from occurring.
However, the Sec Officer used the succumb verb and died anyway, then claimed that they were “murdered”. If you’re not familiar with this verb what it does is it immediately kills you if you’re in any sort of crit, and unlike the suicide verb you can still be revived through normal means.

Some people will be misleading in tickets - sometimes they aren’t even doing it intentionally, or maliciously. But it’s still something to be aware of and could even result in them receiving a ban under R4 if you believe it to have been intentional.

Reasonable answer.

Good answer.

Good answer. Although it’s worth keeping in mind that someone being overly hostile in a ticket can potentially warrant a ban under R4.

Usually every other week or so for about an hour.

I think you’ll do fine, good luck on the rest of your application. +1

T: +2

1 Like

Something we always tell new moderators is to never be afraid to ask for help. We’re a friendly bunch and you really don’t have to be scared to ask for help/advice.

Alrighty, so your app is looking very solid so far. Your note/bans also look pretty promising. Time for additional questions :wink:

1. A latejoin antagonist assistant after having aquired their tools and gloves heads down to engineering via maintenance. He stumbles upon an engineer in maintenance and promptly kills said engineer with an esword. He continues to move down towards engineering and into the SM chamber, where he meets the CE and also murders them in cold blood. They then take an SM shard from the SM for their objective.
    The engineer from maintenance ahelps and accuses the assistant of murderboning.
    What if anything do you do? Any rules broken here? And how do you respond to the bwoink?

2. You witness a completely new account join the server and head straight to toxins. He then starts filling the burn chamber with plasma and oxygen. What if anything do you do? Any rules broken here?

3. You are a new moderator coming fresh from training with your newly aqquired perms. A decently known player with a good record prays “Do your worst”. What if anything do you do?

1 Like

Something we always tell new moderators is to never be afraid to ask for help. We’re a friendly bunch and you really don’t have to be scared to ask for help/advice.

I’m not worried about it becoming a big problem, just don’t expect me to be a regular on the general discord chat :)឵឵ ឵

1. A latejoin antagonist assistant after having aquired their tools and gloves heads down to engineering via maintenance. He stumbles upon an engineer in maintenance and promptly kills said engineer with an esword. He continues to move down towards engineering and into the SM chamber, where he meets the CE and also murders them in cold blood. They then take an SM shard from the SM for their objective.
    The engineer from maintenance ahelps and accuses the assistant of murderboning.
    What if anything do you do? Any rules broken here? And how do you respond to the bwoink?

Both killings are covered by rule 13.4.2, as they are isolated murders with reasonable purpose, both being engineers. Reply to the bwoink “This is an IC issue. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!” and close the ticket accordingly. That being said, keep an eye on them. If they want to play a cold-hearted killer and create roleplay experiences through action, they are certainly within their rights. However, its hard to differentiate this from lack of roleplay until further events show up.

1. You witness a completely new account join the server and head straight to toxins. He then starts filling the burn chamber with plasma and oxygen. What if anything do you do? Any rules broken here?

I’m assuming this is a non-antagonist with permission to enter toxins. Keep an eye on them and see what happens. Assuming no cid/ip match, lock them the moment they make more than one ttv bomb, or they go anywhere other than the bomb testing range with one bomb. Ban permanently under rule 8 assuming that they do not have a very good explanation.

1. You are a new moderator coming fresh from training with your newly aqquired perms. A decently known player with a good record prays “Do your worst”. What if anything do you do?

Unfortunately moderators cannot answer prayers or otherwise influence the round according to 1.2 of admin conduct. Do nothing.

If I WAS an admin however… Replace their stomach with Ian. Say nothing.

Pretty much spot on in all of these!

+1

T: +3

1 Like

Accepting at +3

:slight_smile: