Guide to (roleplay oriented) character creation

I used to main viro before I switched to sci, so whenever I get in a conversation with a viro I say I took a semester of virology and give an acedote about getting a space std or something

1 Like

Damn no need to necropost Jeff, oh well gues this is top now

you are now part of my deranged character’s tragic backstory, I hope you’re happy

and is only mildly afraid of death

I mean Unus isn’t as afraid of death knowing what’s on the other side (He’s described it as a void), but he IS scared to leave his family behind, especially his brother Annus

Chase is depressed and possibly suicidal but he fears death more than he lets on.

edit: whoops shit necro my bad

edit 2: Fun fact, it hasn’t happened yet but if I add Annus in and he dies and gets revived, his description is more like a train station

My hot tip for easy roleplay is to start small and expand. Don’t write a novella about your character’s opinions, emotions, favourite ice cream flavour, etc. before you even get into your first round. Instead, start with a bit, something small but distinct like a philosophical perspective (pessimist, optimist and so on) or even a way of talking (are they very formal, speaking in perfect grammar or do they communicate entirely in obscure colloquialisms?) then flesh your character out as you try to fit that particular aspect of their personality into the various situations you encounter during a round.

For example, let’s say your character is a bleeding-heart pessimist who reacts to every hinderance by preaching about the futility of it all. Though you could just make a round out of whining on comms the entire time and not getting anything done, if you plan on sticking with this character for the long haul, you will eventually have to do your job and face some kind of adversity. This is where you actually begin writing your character and begin shaping them to fit a mold you don’t have absolute control over. For example, if your character is an engineer and the SM begins to melt down, by the original standards you set for your character, you would most realistically just not do anything and let yourself get vapourised. But you would be actively ruining the round for others if you were to do that, so that’s an action you can’t take for the sake of everyone else’s enjoyment. So, now you need to rationalise why your character would violate the original concept to instead risk their life to save everyone else. You could say that they’re negativity is only surface-level and that they do have some concern for others underneath it all. Or, you could instead turn the negativity into something more self-hating with them risking their own life as a form of self punishment. Once you’ve come with something – bam, you have a new trait that fleshes out the originally one-note character.

As you keep playing the character and have to continuously make these kinds of personality defining decisions, your spaceman will slowly, but surely, develop into their own unique person with a set of beliefs and emotions that simultaneously fit a very simple, but distinct personality while also having an array of underlying character traits that let them fit in to the SS13 work environment. This is how I’ve developed nearly all of my characters and I’m yet to find a situation in which this isn’t the easiest and most organic way to write a unique character. Plus, it seriously cuts down on pointless character facts that add nothing meaningful, like how many PhDs they have. Servers with custom character records are one helluva drug.

Annus

Peak roleplay hours 2020202020

Really though, the most important thing in roleplay is how you treat other people.

Good roleplay enhances your gameplay experience and those of other people who enjoy it.

Roleplay is bad when it actively degrades the experience of other people around you, like roleplaying as a crazy person so you can irritate other people “in-character”, or calling security corrupt dogs and unrobust pansies who only exist to power trip.

Is it roleplay? Yeah.

Is it fun for anyone else? No.

You can stay in character the whole shift, but when your character is just generally an unpleasant person, roleplaying as your character starts to become less of a way to enjoy 2D Spessmens, and more of a way to express your burgeoning subconscious desires; to be an unpleasant person towards everyone around you in a consequence-free manner.

You shouldn’t even do this unless you are debtor, antag or have enough ic reason.

Otherwise you are a regular normal crew member who just works for NT.

Follow this one simple step and your roleplay becomes better than 90% of sage players

Guide to RP on Bee

1. Make a character with rich backstory of being a child of mixed race pair
  2. Get banned for not following naming policy
  3. After learning that admins are actually enforcing systemic racism make a racist character perfectly fitting into this cruel world and system
  4. Get banned for intolerant language and behaviour
  5. Give up on even trying to rp
2 Likes
  1. Discover [DATA EXPUNGED] secret server with no rules.
  2. Get banned for extreme racism
  3. Touch grass.
3 Likes
  1. Come back a year later and repeat
1 Like
  1. “Armin LePoopenfarten with the job class “Impostor” incident”