Gimmick system will be possibly refactored

they could see the affects of maint pills iirc. That’s good enough. It’s more of a role for roleplaying the crazy conspiracy theorist than playing for any mechanical incentive

1 Like

But assistant is space hobo

This one is alright, mail is usually delivered by a single player who dedicates themselves to that, or not delivered at all.

Earrape, the role. Music can already be annoying, and anyone can already play music.

Miners, but if you took away their access. I like the idea of asteroid mining, but the catch is that if someone calls your shuttle before you get a fulton or something, you are fucked. Taking away mining dock/office access prevents them from turning in their ore on several maps, and is a bad choice. I would like more incentive to mine on asteroids though.

Power gaming role. Why not give them xenobio access too, and round start hulk. Bad role Idea.

Pointless replacement of an already existing role with the valid hunter version

this tooootally wouldnt be used for griefing

This could be alright, but as it stands, we dont need a role like this in the game.

I still dont really care for this.

this is just that suggestion where we remove HoP and QM, and replace them with new roles. QM mains seething that they arent a real head. Not a good role anyway.

Effectively pointless, since its just command as normal, but they all get AA. I am sure that having 6 AA IDs floating around would be a GREAT Idea.

They werent great examples since all but maybe 2 or 3 of them are even remotely viable.

This is what any good gimmick role should primarily be. Something to be different and bounce off of other standard roles well.

Chaplain and Curator are already effectively customizable gimmick roles in this sense and there’s no reason to expand on them except by giving other roles more incentive to interact with them. Bartender and chef fit into this as well to an extent, though they both also offer limited mechanical advantages.

I would recommend any suggested gimmick ideas be weighed and compared against these four permanent roles, and ask the following questions as well:

• How does this role interact with crew?
  • How does crew interact with this role?
  • Will crew even want to interact with this role, or will it be undesirable to see?
  • Is this role antagonistic in nature? What discourages abuse if so?
  • Does this role offer substantial combat advantages? What discourages abuse and/or oppression of antagonists if so?

Debtor is a good example of being antagonistic in nature, but also considering it by giving them trauma that prevent them from outright attacking authority.

Problem is that trauma was easily removed via taking the hat off.

1 Like

the first half is good but a lot of the extra ideas arent

1 Like

6 Likes

This thread brings up something I’ve been waiting to talk about for a long time.

Make the psychiatrist into an actual medical role (with limited access but an official office) with tangible benefits. Allow them to view medical records of people with things like social anxiety, smoker, junkie, nyctophobia, etc. And allow them to help people cope with their quirks.

You could add things like anxiety medication (social anxiety), smoker (nicotine patches), unstable (antidepressants), junkie, etc… I feel like this role has the most potential to actually not be just a gimmick role and have some impact and relevance but the fact that Beestation doesn’t have medical, employment, or any kind of records makes RP like this impossible and I think its a shame.

paradise
The fact that places like Paradise can make psychologists an actual viable role and they don’t even advertise explicitly as RP servers meanwhile Bee has none of the infrastructures to make this possible is a real missed opportunity. I would actually play as a therapist more if it was easier for me to actually do so based on game mechanics. The issue is you have to roll it roundstart and if you dont then it takes forever to get set up by which point all hell breake loose.

2 Likes

All I really want for gimmick roles are: Debtor without the bath salts combat. and a prisoner role. Replace barber with a ghetto surgeon role, and the psychologist changes Basicguy20 suggested

1 Like

I think the problem with Psychiarist is that it needs to have game mechanics involved, because if not you’ll end up having what other players said, attempts to RP that get denied or literally no one visting you for ‘‘counseling’’ or a ‘‘mental check’’ this happens even on HRP servers from what i’ve observed, it should be a mix of RP + game mechanics, like the idea of being able to detected brain traumas and their particular behaviours, recognizing obsessed people or people with split personality could help + what Ruko said above, there is interests as i’ve seen players who customized their job to be either brig psychiatrists or just a office near medbay.

Debtor was interesting, there’s a couple of players who roleplay as ‘‘maint hobo’’ and just do gimmicks based on the random offices that got generated so they might as well roll for that of course we should get rid of the dumb combat they had and maybe tweak a little the hat.

Prisoner role it’s… questionable, there should be clear rules on what they can and can’t do, some station perma wings should need to be expanded so they don’t bore to death and well that would also require Security/Warden to interact with them to not let them do botany + gym for 50 minutes

CAA’s were great, i think with some tweaks they could either work without having to replace Lawyers(who’re already on a bad spot) or just replace it, i believe!! @Axel

Barber sadly doesn’t have a place on the current meta, they’re either free chainsaw arm dude or they set up a shop that no one visits :frowning: It’s a little sad but some other people have pointed that it’s a little annoying to play with the tools they have (the spray hair randomizing your color and not letting you choose it for example)

I feel like if we had Mailman we’ll end up having the discussion Paramedics are currently having about removing them (on github) I personally wouldn’t mind a mailman gimmick but at the same time it’s not like our cargo techs are 100% of the time busy, we would need an economy rework to make the cargotech have a more uptime doing stuff so it would be worth it to add a gimmick job specialized on delivering mail

Finish the PR, stinky ass mf

5 Likes

the PR is key’ed

I would disagree, most people don’t care and thats fair, but if you give people to write medical histories (like on Paradise, the server that screencap is from) you can use that an indicator as to whenever or not they would care to RP like that.

I explained how allowing them to help people cope with certain quirks would actually give them a niche in addition to being specialized in detecting trauma and obsessed. It’s still a gimmick role but really when you sign up for it, you’re under the expectation that a round may be too chaotic or not enough people to RP with you. I still think it should be an actual medical role with an official office even if very few people would be interested. However, the rounds where I was actually about to set up sessions with people when I was playing Paradise were some of my most fun rounds so i would just ask to consider it even if it was basically still a pseudo-gimmick role.

HOWEVER, I will say, unlike Paradise, don’t give them meth pills because otherwise people will just greytide with it and give it a bad rep.

If I recall, Crossed do not want any OOC/IC flavortext. Which sadly includes medical histories and what not.

That’s very disappointing. If that’s the case then it may have no hope because just putting up adverts on paper and radio is not enough. When I played psychologist on Paradise, I would have to actually reach out to people on their PDAs based on their medical histories to get sessions but sometimes it worked.

Its a shame since I would play psychologist if it wasn’t a randomized role and there were medical histories indicating that people would be interested in it, but I guess not…

2 Likes

Most of my experiences with a psychologist resulted in him trying to label me mentally ill and trying to kidnap me, (and failing) overall pretty fun, he should get an official office. And maybe have a way to temporarily disable negative traits with his help?

Based idea incoming:::: What if psych was a sec job with brig access?? Do it like beth green sometimes does and speak with prisoners. Since they‘re locked in cells it‘s not like they have anything better to do anyways. You could even argue to sec that some prisoners are legally insane and should be released.

1 Like

all I see is another sec role that can roll antag, sec is already shitting their pants because, det and brig phys can roll antag, not to mention on lowpop if det or brig phys is the only security, you can almost guarantee they are a tot

2 Likes

that should go different system then because the new system I am planning is opening a new position and notifying everyone that a newly opened slot exists - that means everyone would notice there’s an antag officer.

Not really necessary. Most people are in brig because they’re shitters or are just malicious (antags). Its pretty rare for someone to genuinely be insane and if they need you to come there they would just let you into the brig.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.