Gimmick system will be possibly refactored

• Selection system

• Gimmick roles are now pref selectable. You can set your beloved VIP at high level pref.
    • Gimmick role will be automatically introduced in a roundpreparation when it’s available
    • only available gimmicks are adjustable in pref window
  • Job Inheritance & Gimmick Specialty

• a gimmick job is now basically a job inherited from a job.
      • Assistant type: VIP, Barber
      • Medical doctor type: Psychiatrist
      • Clown type: Stage Magician
    • a gimmick job must have its own specialty that everyone can notice
      • VIP: Being annoying, shitton of money
      • Barber: …not sure how they are special… maybe they should be removed?
      • Psychiatrist: they have chem/surgery access, and has mental/mind related immunity or advantage (i.e. immuned to hivemind spell)
      • Stage Magiciaon: magician tools (and they’ll get more toys like fake cuffs)

How can a gimmick job appear?

I am thinking 5% for a job per a round. They will not appear with a maint spawn any longer.

more examples for possible gimmicks

these are not the real job, but this is how a gimmick job can be implemented newly
Their ability and power is based on a gimmick job must have its own specialty that everyone can notice

• Chaplain of Honkmother (Chaplain type)
    chaplain job is closed, and this gimmick job is opened instead
    locks your deity as honkmother
    eligible for being clown and chaplain at the same time - for example, they’re capable of purchasing clown car and his grace

• Mailman (Cargo tech type)
    Has its own special ability to track where a mail recipient is.

• Musician (Clown type)
    Has its own special ability that can start to play all nearby instrument at the same time

• Meteoroid Miner (Shaft Miner type)
    has their own ship (almost pod size), but no mining dock/office access.

• Superhuman Researcher (Geneticist type)
    closes one slot of virologist positions.
    Has access to virology, genetics, nanites. No to other science/medbay access.

• Security Medical Officer (Security officer type)
    closes a brig physician position.
    allowed to engage in combat - they’re a security officer.
    CMO isn’t your boss.

• Supernatural Scholar (Curator type)
    closes a curator position.
    Don’t get a curator beacon.
    They wear wizard outfit, but have no wizard spells. well, it’s fancy enough.
    They have a wand belt with only one charged wands: Healing, Teleportation, Polymorph, Door Creation, Fireball

• Safety Inspector (Engineer Type) - by Kie
    Blame your CE for making dangerous machines(no singulo, no tesla, no, anything, solar is best!), and yell at them about safety.

• CAA (Lawyer type)
    the thing you know…

• Head of Supply (QM type)
    the thing you might know as well… They’re really considered to be a head.

• Five Captains (Captain type)
    Closes all head positions.
    opens a slot of positions: Service Captain, Medical Captain, Security Captain, Research Captain, Engineering Captain
    All of them have AA, and they are all equal.
    They spawn with default captain’s gear without captain’s hat.
    They’re eligible for being Captain and a head of a department, for example, Medical Captain has disk identifying ability and has Captain role AND Chief Medical Officer role in their mob variable.

4 Likes

They will not appear with a maint spawn any longer.
Makes sense but at the same time this doesn’t remove their maint rooms right? Some of them were cool and i wouldn’t like for us to have less maint rooms, tbh the more random the better in my opinion!

Makes sense but at the same time this doesn’t remove their maint rooms right? Some of them were cool and i wouldn’t like for us to have less maint rooms, tbh the more random the better in my opinion!

yeah, maints rooms will not be removed. any random maint rooms are cool.
but the gimmicks, they will still be spawned/opened by their maint room, but the plan is removing their spawn chance by maint, and put a special system that adjusts gimmick positions.

Anyone who is not a chemist should acquire reagents through a chemist and nobody except chemists and CMO should have direct access handed to them as part of the job.

Psychiatrist should be able to identify mental issues in patients at a glance, potentially including brainwashing, and be able to resolve these issues without surgery through some newly coded mechanics

Yes, please remove. Psychiatrist at least has some potential, but with forced changes being treated as grief here and everyone already having the styles they want, the barber serves almost no purpose.

Combine this with the chainsaw they spawn with and it’s just shitter bait.

Good suggestion. giving chem access was because their specialty is weak, so enhance it by giving them chem access. if they have an ability like that they can check someone’s menal status in a glance, they’ll not have to have such additional access.

i feel like a gimmick that directly fucks with the chain of command is a bad idea

that’s why it is ‘gimmick’ at all. they would not make the normal subsequences. They should have something that nobody would expect normally.

you can just make a chaplain of the honkmother, why would you just remove player customisation?

cargo techs should be the ones who deliver mail, it’s like making a surgeon role

why do you think a dedicated powergaming role is a good idea?

so old brig Phys?

sorry but this is just going to be a shitter role

this just doesn’t seem fun

3 Likes

these are examples. don’t take these seriously.

1 Like

Can we bring back the hobo? But remove that OP attack thing they had.

1 Like

maybe even without a bank account :rofl:
they shouldn’t have that OP attack, but I think they should have something appealing…

they could see the affects of maint pills iirc. That’s good enough. It’s more of a role for roleplaying the crazy conspiracy theorist than playing for any mechanical incentive

1 Like

But assistant is space hobo

This one is alright, mail is usually delivered by a single player who dedicates themselves to that, or not delivered at all.

Earrape, the role. Music can already be annoying, and anyone can already play music.

Miners, but if you took away their access. I like the idea of asteroid mining, but the catch is that if someone calls your shuttle before you get a fulton or something, you are fucked. Taking away mining dock/office access prevents them from turning in their ore on several maps, and is a bad choice. I would like more incentive to mine on asteroids though.

Power gaming role. Why not give them xenobio access too, and round start hulk. Bad role Idea.

Pointless replacement of an already existing role with the valid hunter version

this tooootally wouldnt be used for griefing

This could be alright, but as it stands, we dont need a role like this in the game.

I still dont really care for this.

this is just that suggestion where we remove HoP and QM, and replace them with new roles. QM mains seething that they arent a real head. Not a good role anyway.

Effectively pointless, since its just command as normal, but they all get AA. I am sure that having 6 AA IDs floating around would be a GREAT Idea.

They werent great examples since all but maybe 2 or 3 of them are even remotely viable.

This is what any good gimmick role should primarily be. Something to be different and bounce off of other standard roles well.

Chaplain and Curator are already effectively customizable gimmick roles in this sense and there’s no reason to expand on them except by giving other roles more incentive to interact with them. Bartender and chef fit into this as well to an extent, though they both also offer limited mechanical advantages.

I would recommend any suggested gimmick ideas be weighed and compared against these four permanent roles, and ask the following questions as well:

• How does this role interact with crew?
  • How does crew interact with this role?
  • Will crew even want to interact with this role, or will it be undesirable to see?
  • Is this role antagonistic in nature? What discourages abuse if so?
  • Does this role offer substantial combat advantages? What discourages abuse and/or oppression of antagonists if so?

Debtor is a good example of being antagonistic in nature, but also considering it by giving them trauma that prevent them from outright attacking authority.

Problem is that trauma was easily removed via taking the hat off.

1 Like

the first half is good but a lot of the extra ideas arent

1 Like

6 Likes

This thread brings up something I’ve been waiting to talk about for a long time.

Make the psychiatrist into an actual medical role (with limited access but an official office) with tangible benefits. Allow them to view medical records of people with things like social anxiety, smoker, junkie, nyctophobia, etc. And allow them to help people cope with their quirks.

You could add things like anxiety medication (social anxiety), smoker (nicotine patches), unstable (antidepressants), junkie, etc… I feel like this role has the most potential to actually not be just a gimmick role and have some impact and relevance but the fact that Beestation doesn’t have medical, employment, or any kind of records makes RP like this impossible and I think its a shame.

paradise
The fact that places like Paradise can make psychologists an actual viable role and they don’t even advertise explicitly as RP servers meanwhile Bee has none of the infrastructures to make this possible is a real missed opportunity. I would actually play as a therapist more if it was easier for me to actually do so based on game mechanics. The issue is you have to roll it roundstart and if you dont then it takes forever to get set up by which point all hell breake loose.

2 Likes

All I really want for gimmick roles are: Debtor without the bath salts combat. and a prisoner role. Replace barber with a ghetto surgeon role, and the psychologist changes Basicguy20 suggested

1 Like