Generational Suffixes and Naming Guidelines

Recently a player was banned for having a Generational Suffix in their name, as they were told that it violated naming guidelines. However, the human name guideline is as follows:

Human: Normal human names, the kind that won’t raise an eyebrow if you chose to name your child. This applies to all other races that reference human names.

For those of us in the United States, generational suffixes ARE normal, and don’t raise an eyebrow. Examples can be found in the Wikipedia article on Suffix (name) which I cannot link here.

To pull out some more famous examples from that article:

George Foreman’s sons, who are George Jr. through George VI
Marlon Brando Jr. (commonly goes simply by Marlon Brando)
Green Day drummer Frank Edwin “Tré Cool” Wright III
Frank Edwin “Tré Cool” Wright III
South Park co-creator Randolph Severn “Trey” Parker III
Willard Carroll “Trey” Smith III, elder son of actor Willard Carroll “Will” Smith Jr.

I personally know at least three people who have either Jr. or a number in their name, with the highest I’ve personally met being a IV.

With this information, I ask that generational suffixes be allowed, or that the naming guidelines be specifically updated to forbid them, as currently as read by an American, they are, whereas apparently read by a European, they are not. I created this thread due to a discussion on Discord, and was unsure whether it should go in General or Suggestions. I welcome any and all feedback and discussion.

6 Likes

The appropriate term for these suffixes is Generational Titles

Generational Title is another name, but I don’t see them in the same way as an earned title such as Doctor or Esquire.

With suffixes, at least in the United States, they are legally part of your name according to the government. If you are John Doe V, on all government paperwork that is how they are listed.

Mrs., Dr., etc. and things like Esq., MD etc. are all earned through education or marriage or some other way, and you can choose whether or not to use them, but suffixes you are born with and have for the rest of your life unless you get a legal name change.

7 Likes

I’ve got a “Jr.” in my name but I’ve never had a work ID that included that on it.
This is your job’s ID card. Nobody you work with cares about those details so they don’t include it in your IDs.

The Name Guideline is infamously bad and very hard if not impossible to get changed so good luck getting them to allow suffixes.

The only thing I am going to add is that lore wise every Human should be John Doe XVII since we’re all meant to be clones.

where did you get this from? according to our lore cloning doesn’t even exist because using another servers lore cannot cause plot holes

I just wish that moth names can also have childish names. I mean it as in something a child would make thinking it’ll be cool or just random noises kids would make until they make something that would remotely sound like a name.

e.g Rocket Buster, Zoomi, Polu

I also understand that this wish of mine is absolutely abusable so probably best to keep it as is.
This also kinda why the title rule also exists so people dont have something like

e.g prof. dr. general John doe. jr XI

1 Like

It is what it is sadly

Cloners don’t exist…what? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Then why do we have cloning tubes?

1 Like

I’ve explained this before, but I guess I’ll post it here too. For humans, the rule is quite simple:

An exceptionally average full name without any prefixes or suffixes.

Names are traditionally comprised of three parts, [Title] [Full Name] [Suffix], we only care about [Full Name]. If it’s really that unclear, I can alter the wiki page to make that clearer.

Edit - Done:

1 Like

I was asking for that page to updated for a while now. The community would appreciate it at least being clearer what the guildlines are suppose to be.

As for suffixes, I guess we’ll agree to disagree, I don’t think seeing someone with “Jr” or “III” is breaking anyone’s immersion the same way someone named “BAN EVADER” or whatever would, if that’s even the reason for the guildlines.

1 Like

because we use commoncore for lore, lore made by TG for TG so it may (and does) leave some plotholes

2 Likes

Thank you for the update on this. While I disagree on it being disallowed, I’m fine with it as long as it is clear.

1 Like

Do we actually have lore? I’m pretty sure the lore is just “NT space station with space people who die a lot”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.