FFXIV General

Because the two are mutually exclusive. You can’t be a casual while also being tryhard; the two are literally opposites by definition. You can’t “casually” push for perfect results while crying about setbacks caused by teammates.

It’s a demographic, not a personality when it comes to games definitions

I’m a casual in ffxiv despite putting in the time to master my rotation and running a meter because I don’t play much, I haven’t even bothered to farm savage for BiS. Likewise my raider friends aren’t casual because they’re very chill outside of the 3 hours a week they farm water boi for dat Gold Parse™.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree on what “Casual gamer” means then. They aren’t explicitly binary, but this is what they mean to me, and it has no relation to how much time or experience you put into the game, but purely the mindset to bring to a game.

Casual = playing a game purely for enjoyment without caring about statistics, perfection or potentially even winning at all for some people.
Serious/Competitive = Playing for the sake of winning, to be better than others or do better than their previous high score or equivalent.

If you’re running and care about a DPS meter (which violates TOS, by the way), you are absolutely not a casual player.

Do the latter not do it for fun?

You can go with what you want but in this space, that’s how the jargon is used.

Square enix takes a DADT approach in-game to meters, streamers and guilds openly run meters on streams and publicly post to FFlogs, been like this since 1.0. A policy I actually like, very few pugged duties have significant DPS checks that matter for a reason. Yoshi P has even reinforced that they care about the intent and not the letter.

So of course they do. And most people who are playing casually don’t really want to lose either. But when you’re using “casual” to gauge skill level rather than mindset, and I fundamentally disagree with that notion, just as you disagree with me.

We aren’t going to see eye to eye on this because of that lol

You are not a casual gamer by my definition purely because you care so much about maximizing/optimizing your damage output that you have committed to memorizing complex rotations and use illegal DPS meters to gauge how well you’re doing. That is incompatible with my definition of casual. Agree to disagree.

I explicitly said this wasn’t the case

This is just really arbitrary when I am using the definition generally used by the community and developers, I don’t know why you take issue with it, it’s like you look down on people and want a separation (evident by stressing “illegal” again.)

Idk just comes off as rude to image macro me and then quibble into an “agree to disagree” over weird personal reasons

You do you tho I’m on some weird meds rn and probably shouldnt have bothered posting due to being extra irritable

Ill just defeat you at triple triad or something when datacentres open up

I don’t look down on you for using a DPS meter for self-improvement (though I do wish you didn’t feel any pressure or need to have one at all)
I don’t look down on you because you take the game more seriously than I do
I disagree with your claim that you’re a casual player, and disagree with you on what defines casual.

I apologize for anything that came off as an attack during this exchange.

However, I absolutely will look down on you if you are one of the folks calling out public-group randos and telling them they suck, whether you’re using the meter to do it or not. Let people enjoy the game, and if they’re so bad that they are dragging the group down, offer them help instead of salt

1 Like

I just play for fishing and punching things

2 Likes

Also please let this happen, only one person came to crystal with me
:sob:

1 Like

Berating people for not having a spreadsheet for the MSQ Scenario is what gives me life /s

Salting is just bullying, even if you are technically correct you won’t help people improve because you’ve made them defensive. So yeah, no need to give them respect :stuck_out_tongue:

One of the nice things about ffxiv is strict DPS checks are virtually nonexistent in almost all of the content, if you’re failing a duty, it’s because people are misunderstanding mechanics. That’s such an easy thing to offer help with in a non-antagonistic manner.
(AKA it’s not like world of warcraft there’s some despair in the pug life there, its my main game so I’d know)

I was on crystal like 6 months ago >;)

It was actually kind of sad because the server I was on was pretty much dying, so when I logged in and left the FC to transfer to where my friends were I immediately got a tell from the one guy who was online saying “I knew you would do that, everyone is.” :pensive:

The crystal split really was a disaster for a lot of servers, half of ppls friendslists got thanos snapped. Diabolos was ALIVE during stormblood

Hell yeah fishing!
Fish go spliah spliash

haha forgot about this thread
anyway killed e9s gonna probably kill e10s this week

what a tragedy. datacenters full

go crystal
primal is dead
aether is st*eamer dc

I just wanted to get Fighter and Inithis onto Siren reeeee

Final Nyantasy Fourteen
(felinid edition)

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2)