Derelict: A Beestation Story

///UNAUTHORIZED_TRANSMISSION///

I’m Orion Galatea. I do whatever the company needs me to do. Sometimes? They need a chemist. I’ve got a history working medical out in the rim-systems, so I’m happy to help. Sometimes they need me to run security on an NT station. Sometimes they leave me flapping in the wind, and I end up building a little food stall to try and brighten up people’s days.

But most times? Most times they need a cleaner.

Now I’m not talking about Janitorial duties, though I’m not above it. No, when I say “cleaner” I mean I’m the guy they send out when an asset needs to be permanently expunged. This can be a lotta things, for a lotta reasons. Wiping out a lost station in a blossom of fusion fire. Ending a Syndicate agent’s activities on a listening post in a hail of laser fire and well-placed breaching charges. That kinda thing.

It was on one such shift that I finally hit the job that got the better of me.

The shift had been going well so far. Mostly demolition jobs, cleaning out blobbed up hulls and making bank for the home station while I was at it. I grabbed a standard assassination mission as it popped up on the feed, and since I was flying solo I called in an old friend, Ulric Osterwise. Solid fella. Good moral compass (but I don’t hold it against him). He was working security that shift, so he was geared to assist, and agreed to come along on the job.

The ride over was calm. We knew what we were doing, and the only sounds on the shuttle were the sounds of Ulric switching his headset to incorporate my comm frequencies and me getting a spare las-pistol for my knight in crimson armor. We brought up the target details on the shuttle’s main screen. Ulyssa Duncan. Former NT assistant. Armed and dangerous. Nothing we couldn’t handle, or so we thought.

I brought the shuttle in to land at the derelict in a standard throttle down manoeuvre, and boy, was this derelict a blasted heap. Few of the station’s sectors had atmo, and fewer still sported functional powernets. Tracking the target’s likely location would have been a cinch even if she hadn’t neglected to turn off her GPS. But apparently our target had left it on. A trap? Or maybe she’d decided to make it easy on us. Either way, something had started to stink.

We blasted and cut our way through the derelict. A nest of Space-Adapted spiders, AKA Vaccnids had set up shop, and had multiplied on the corpses of the unlucky crewmembers that had once run the derelict station. Our arrival sent them into a feeding frenzy, and they clambered over each other to try and snap us up. We served as too costly a meal, however, and in no time at all we were climbing over the carapaced corpses of the station’s current residents, tracking our targets’ location.

The only sector of the station left with both power and atmosphere was the robotics facility at the far end of the station. It was odd. It looked like someone had been trying and failing to build a bluespace transmission array from all the scraps they could find or print on the still barely functioning lathes and fabricators. We were so taken aback at the display that we almost didn’t spot Ulyssa as we cut through the final internal wall to her little domain.

There was a moment of tense uncertainty. I’m used to going after hardened criminals. Fighting Syndicate agents, going up against people fighting tooth and nail to stay alive.
But Ulyssa? She was just standing there, eyes wide, holding an old, half-charged stun baton out. It wasn’t even on. Barely moving except to shake in fear.

We should have shot her. Quick laser, right between the eyes. She wouldn’t even have had time to feel fear.

But as Ulric and I stood there in the dark of the derelict, looking like a pair of hardsuit-clad nightmares covered in spider guts and scratch marks, neither of us made a move.
Tears in her eyes, Ulyssa began to speak. Crying out about Eridani 5. The tragedy that claimed hundreds of thousands of lives. An entire planet rendered uninhabitable. Another reason to hate the Syndicate.
Or was it?
In a voice shaking with adrenaline and crackling with fear, Ulyssa explained why we were sent to kill her. The words tumbled out of her mouth like they had a mind of their own, and like the spiders infesting her station, Ulyssa wove us a tale.

NT caused the tragedy of Eridani 5.
NT and it’s damn cheap budget-cutting bureaucratic lethargy killed all those people.
And Ulyssa could prove it.

Ulric stood stoically as I talked her into handing over her weapon, and… She did. She just tossed it over to Ulric.
That shook me. More than anything she could say, that motion, that hysterically terrible move, proved she wasn’t a syndicate asset. No sleeper agent would give their only weapon up. It was the kind of bluff that you’d have to be suicidal to try.
Suicidal… Or untrained.
I ask her to let us cuff her and… She did.
I half-heartedly joked about not expecting that to work. Ulric let out a nervous laugh. Ulyssa was shaking like a damned leaf. I found myself trying to search for reasons to not do my duty. To find another way.
I could barely think straight as we walked into the derelict robotics facility’s medical bay. We knocked her out using anaesthetic gas. I think I’ll remember the way her eyes locked with mine as she lost consciousness until the day I die.

After the girl fell into unconsciousness, Ulric broke his silence.
“This doesn’t feel right”.
I wanted to round on him. Yell at him. Did he think I was a machine? Did he think that he was the only one feeling that way? What choice did we have!? If we left her alive, Centcom would know, and we’d be the next ones coming up on mission consoles to expunge as exommunicado from the company. They had a lock on her for as long as her heart was beating. No way to get out of this one without killing a girl for the crime of knowing something she shouldn’t.
I flash Ulric a look and he gets it. He’s good like that.

I think about my sister. Lily. She’s on Mars now. Valles Marineris University. She’ll be 21 in November.
Ulyssa’s about her age.

There was surgical equipment. Medication. A full modern suite. This wasn’t a thousand-year-old hunk.
I paused. I looked at Ulric. “We have options.”
Our eyes met, and I knew we were of one mind. The procedure to stop the girl’s heart long enough for her to be verified dead, releasing the lock on her vitals, would be difficult without killing her.
But with the equipment in that medbay, it was possible. Even for a backwater sawbones like me.

We got to work. To prevent brain damage I had Ulric waiting at the girl’s neck with a pair of Perfluorodecalin pens and subcranial micromanipulators.
I cut into her chest and began to work.

10 Likes

It felt like I was underwater. Much longer and regardless of our intent, Ulyssa was staying dead.
Target Life signs terminated. Payment processed.
“Now.”
Ulric switched his stun baton on and a jolt of lightning shot through Ulyssa’s heart. We had discovered, belatedly, that the defibrillator on the derelict had been cannibalised for parts, so we had to use Ulric’s stun baton as a makeshift alternative. After a worrisome moment, it did the job.
I reconnected the necessary blood vessels, slapped bone gel on the broken sternum, and shot her up with adrenaline and a cocktail of other drugs to try and get her stabilised.
Stumbling back, I sat down heavily on a bare metal chair, looking over to Ulric. “What now?” I asked. He pursed his lips in an expression I couldn’t place. Somewhat triumphant. Somewhat mortified. “We get her back to the station. I know a place we can hide her.”

The trip back was rough. We smuggled Ulyssa onto the shuttle in a blind spot of the shuttle’s camera and tried to look like two employees on their way back from a standard job. When we arrived back at home base, the station was busy enough that nobody noticed us moving a nondescript figure to a small security post tucked away behind medbay.
“Nobody ever comes here.” Murmured Ulric. “We can wake her up here. Figure things out.”
I nodded, and gently removed the breathing mask from Ulyssa’s face.
She came to, slowly. Blinking away the anaesthetic. “Wha-” She steadied herself on the office chair we had unloaded her into. Realising she wasn’t in cuffs, her hands began exploring the new injuries down the centre of her chest. “What happened? Why- Ow- What did-” I leant back against a table across from her, forcing myself to remain calm. Ulric, off to one side, was trying to look casual as he bought Ulyssa a new set of clothing from a vendor “You’re not dead.” I announced, quietly. “And what’s more, you may be a step ahead of the company.” I pointed to her chest “they think you’re dead, and if you’ve got any sense, it’ll stay that way.”
There’s a moment of silence as the poor girl grapples with this, then the moment is ended by a pair of thick jackboots landing at her feet. “You’ve got a second chance, but now if you fuck up we’re in the shit with you.” Ulric’s voice was almost a growl, kept low and clipped. “If you don’t beat it before the next transfer shuttle gets here, you’re going to be found, sure as shit.” I nod, and add; “I’ve got a hand teleporter and a set of experimental Grav-anomaly armor I’ve found on previous jobs. It’s worth a lot of cash in the right hands. But as for how you’re getting away, I think you’re going to have to figure that out for yourself”.
Ulyssa visibly rallied her thoughts and looked up at us, “I think I have a plan, but you’re not going to like it.”

Ulyssa blended in with the crew of the station as best she could. We recovered what was needed and readied Ulyssa’s escape plan, trying not to be seen together too much.
Thankfully, shortly after we returned a pirate ship began to assault the station, announcing they were here to steal valuable company property with wild abandon. Their devil-may-care attitude shining through on their broadcasts served to not only draw security’s attention but also distract from an asteroid warning that was sure to be excellent cover for Ulyssa’s escape.

[Back at the security post]
“First I’ll need bluespace transmission equipment. I can whip up something that’ll let me get in touch with a friend at a nearby pirate radio station” “You cannot be serious.” Ulric grumbled. Hurriedly, Ulyssa added- “he won’t actually steal anything or hurt anyone, but he’s great at making a scene.”

“THE NAME’S SOLARBEARD!” came the crackling roar. The pirate was, like many in his profession, modded and augmented to look like an honest to god skeleton, complete with skull and bony fingers. It made for quite a sight on the vidcasters, and his repeated attempts to land near high-value targets was causing the security team to run back and forth across the station in a large red dervish of angry yelling and brandished lasguns. Ulric had joined them, and was trying his best to look as consternated as his less informed teammates.

[Back at the security post]
“Next, we’ll need a way for me to get aboard his ship. I was thinking we could use the dock your ship is at?” Ulyssa looked to me, hopefully. I shook my head apologetically; “No dice. Only I can move that shuttle. If I move it to let the pirate ship dock, it’ll be obvious I’m involved.” Ulyssa’s face fell as I dashed her hopes.
“What about the security execution chamber?” Both of us looked to Ulric, eyes wide “Think about it, it opens to space, we can wear hardsuits. There are no cameras there, since the AI would pitch a fit if it saw what we do in there. If Orion and I both join you, we’d be able to toss you to the shuttle before anyone in security notices what’s going on.”

Ulyssa and Ulric ran ahead of me toward the execution chamber as I shoved the last of the supplies into a satchel, ready to strap to Ulyssa’s borrowed hardsuit. The security team had been drawn away by Solarbeard’s dukes and jives, and we had a precious few seconds after Ulric had given the brig’s eagle eye’d warden some spare las-pistols to stow away in the armory.
“Time to go. Tell the galaxy what happened on Eridani, yeah?” I said, offering the satchel to Ulyssa as Ulric unlocked and opened the execution chamber door. Ulyssa nodded, “Thank you. For everything.” taking the bag and clipping it to her hardsuit with shaking hands.
The three of us rushed into the execution chamber. Great shutters lined the far wall of the chamber, ready to be opened to the vacuum of space. Essentially an airlock with a chair for the hapless executee to sit in.

We held tight to bars lining the walls as Ulric cycled the shutters open and vented the room.
There, in the darkness of space, barely lit by station lights, was the pirate shuttle, barely lit by the lighting of the station. We could barely make out the lone figure of Solarbeard, cheerfully waving from an open airlock.
Ulric and I took up position on either side of Ulyssa and prepared to launch her at the shuttle-
Only before we could launch her, all hell broke loose.

7 Likes

The plan had been perfect. Perfect.
If only that asteroid shower hadn’t been early.

Solarbeard’s ship went up in a blossom of breached fusion engines, that lit the entire station up like a firework display. We could hear the security team cheering at the view from other parts of the station, but for us it was like a bucket of icewater had been dumped in our hardsuits.

“GET INSIDE” Ulric hollered at us over local comms, slamming both Ulyssa and I into the internal airlock with all the strength he could muster. “GO GO G-” THUNK
A chunk of Solarbeard’s ship impacted him as twisted plasteel, iron and asteroid peppered the hull of the station. It sliced him in half at the hips, blood and internal atmosphere exploding outward in a spray of flash-frozen crystalline gore.

Breach warnings began to blare across the station’s intercoms for multiple sectors. The captain was announcing a red alert and calling out the worst hit locations to the engineering team

And the warden was looking at us through the window of the internal brig airlock. The warden looked at me, cradling just over half of a security officer for two seconds before drawing his sidearm and yelling over local comms- “What the HELL do you think you’re-” “I was outside! Setting up asteroid sats!” I hollered back, thinking fast, “THERE’S NO TIME! you need to get Ulric to medical NOW!” The warden, looking around at his brig, seemingly frustrated with his lack of options. By the time he looked back, the airlock was cycling with what was left of Ulric inside it, and I was gone.
Ulyssa had already left. As soon as the shower of ship parts had ended, she had begun pulling herself over to a figure nestled in a cradle of broken airlock parts.

As I raced over to join her, I checked in to a local comms channel to hear; “They’ll not believe this one, ta be sure!” It was… Solarbeard! How the hell was he alive!? “How the hell are you alive!?” The skeletal figure looked at me, a little concerned, before Ulyssa hurriedly explained; “I know him. He’s… He’s good.” “Arr, well lad, y’know when they say 'they don’t make ‘em like they use to’? Well. I am how they used to make 'em!” with this, Solarbeard, chuckling, drug himself from the nest of twisted metal, to reveal that he was now missing a leg. “Arr… Well then. Going ter need a peg-leg, fer sure! But Ulyssa tells me you’ve got yerself a craft! Care to give us a lift?”
I paused, thinking rapidly. I still might be able to go back to my old life. But… But now Ulyssa had no way off the station. It was time to decide.
It surprised me how little difficulty I had in making the decision.
“Hell. Sick of this damn job anyway.” I declared.

My ship’s dock was in sight, but that didn’t mean it was close.
The station was large enough that it would take time to get there. Time we didn’t have.
Over comms the station was blaring alarms that more asteroids were on their way. Desperate, we began to drag ourselves, hand over hand, across the outer hull of the station. smaller asteroids began to impact the plasteel around us as we moved. Great geysers of metal threw shrapnel across and around us as we desperately pulled ourselves over the exposed hull. “ALL HANDS BRACE! MAIN ASTEROID BODY INCOMING!” Hollered the captain over comms, and I looked up to… See it.
It was big. Reflecting light from the nearby star. The thing was huge. It was going to take a chunk out of the station, and us with it.
I scrabbled for the bag attached to Ulyssa’s hardsuit, searching around inside it- “Both of you, GRAB A HOLD OF ME!”
I yanked the hand teleporter free and desperately set it for the default setting; a direct link to the nearest teleporter bay, and activated it.

The three of us landed in a heap in the teleportation chamber. I dispelled the portal as quickly as I had opened it, and a moment after it closed, the station shook with a screeching moan.

The security teams were too busy dealing with the damage and evacuation to notice three figures rushing through the wreckage in a different direction to everyone else.
The emergency shuttle has docked with the station. You have three minutes to board.

We weren’t heading to the emergency shuttle. We had another ride.
My shuttle was a mess. it was pockmarked with micrometeor impacts and had a large gash in the side, but it was, mercifully, in a state where it could limp into bluespace and get to where we needed to go.

It took some time, though. The pirate radio space station was a quaint little solar-powered stealth station orbiting some nondescript Lagrange point out in the backwater of the system.
We tumbled out of the shuttle airlock, looking at the station and taking off our hardsuits at last, basking in the slightly stale air of freedom.

I felt an elbow nudge my side. Ulyssa was looking up at me, relief plain on her features.
“What should we call this new team we are?”
“Well we met on the derelict” I looked at the old Pirate and the young whistleblower, and thought about what I had just done. Eventually the thrill would wear off and the difficulties of life would set in, but for now, I felt nothing but elation; I had escaped the endless cycle of shifts, the grip of the company. I had taken dereliction of duty and grasped it with both hands.

“How about The Derelicts?”

9 Likes

This is a little story about my last shift as Orion. It’s a little dramatized in places, but only if it helps the flow.

I intend to make this the canon ending for Orion and retire the character.

Gosspel was Ulric Osterwise
@Aligote was Ulyssa Duncan
@Git_Dat_Disc was Mate Solarbeard

6 Likes

This was really well written. Holyshit that was a fun read.

2 Likes

Good round. Excellent story :slight_smile:

1 Like

God I love this so much.
The Feelings, the imagination that is set alight during the read, well chosen selections of words…
The details! The fine details are wonderful, and the emotion that is built up to the end, with the knowledge that it ends, but not a full end, the story continues in the lives of the characters!
A very fitting end for Orion. Bravo!

If I ever manage to sort out my tank full of projects, I would love to turn this into a clay animation or even a live action type thing (I currently and a few years away from getting close to the resources for that however)

I look forward to your future adventures!

2 Likes

this is peak storytelling

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.