DarnTheMarn Application 1/∞

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): DarnTheMarn, no alts

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Lost#6344

How often are you online to help? (Timezone): I work full time 8 AM - PM Central so I can be on past 5 PM on weekdays, weekend whenever I’m not otherwise occupied.

What changes, if any, would you bring?: This isn’t something I’d be able to do for a while, if ever, but I would set clearer precedents on some rulings regarding rules if I ever became a high ranking admin. I’ve seen some posts on the forums where a rule is worded vaguely enough that it could be twisted depending on the situation as well as some straight subjective rules. I would therefore implement a “common law” system where senior admins make rulings that are binding for lower admins/moderators.

How old are you?: 22

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I want to give back a little bit to this mostly laid back and friendly community. I also like dealing with some of the characters that show up if SS13 adminning is anything like my previous admin experiences.

Also I was told I would be a good one on Discord. Kenny if you read this, you know I had to do it to you.
Truth

How long have you been playing SS13?: I played it a tiny weeny bit in like 2014 or so on some old account I lost the info for, but in terms of actual play the last 1.5 - 2 years

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: 1.5 years or so

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 8. I know the basics and intermediate level things about each job, but I haven’t achieved true mastery of breaking the game with each job.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games): In terms of being fair and impartial, citing rules and so on I would give myself a 7. In terms of knowing what and how to use admin tools on SS13, a solid 1. I’ve set up my own fork of Beestation to do a couple little coding things for PRs I want to make but I haven’t messed with it too much.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13: I was an admin on a Gmod Dark RP server way back in 2013 or so, before youtubers made videos on Gmod and ruined what little quality was there before.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: None that I can remember the name of.

Your strengths: Organization, I like to have references to back up what I’m saying rather than just making people take it on good faith. Thick skin in regards to hate speech, I saw plenty as an admin on gmod so I’m plenty desensitized to it.

Your weaknesses: Self awareness since I can’t self reflect well enough to think of something else to put here. Pettiness maybe. I’ll remember stuff for a while but 99% of the time it comes back up as a joke rather than actually being tilted by it. See the joke discord screencap I put in earlier.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: Blatant lying and attempting to be the victim when unjustified. I would say this gets me less mad, and more annoyed though.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Diplomatic attitude. People are going to open up ahelps mad and probably not spell out the whole truth and nothing but the truth because of the situation they are in. Coaxing the whole story out of people by being diplomatic helps in rendering final judgement and thus I consider it the most important trait to have.

What makes a staff team good?: This loops back to changes I would bring question. Clear and concise rulings on the correct interpretations of a rule, and adhering to the decisions made above you make a good staff team. A wrong decision applied uniformly is better than a sometimes right decision applied unevenly. You can’t be fair while people receive different punishments for the same act due to differing opinions.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: Their purpose is to ensure players are having fun and to enforce the rules when required.

What kind of player are you?: One that tries to think up unique gimmicks and RP when people will facilitate it. If I’m not doing a gimmick I’m probably off setting up some elaborate system to do god knows what.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: I’ll probably realize the SS13 community is racist if I have to deal with griefers all the time.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:

Depends on the context, I see two ways this could have situation could have arisen. First thing I would do is check clown’s antag status. If they’re an antag, no action needed. If not, bwoink the clown and ask for an explanation.

If the clown says he was being abused by security with little reason, as is known to occasionally happen, and logs back it up I would explain how spacing a potential theft target for antagonists could ruin their green text potential and isn’t a cool move. Unless they have a lot of notes for similar behavior, I would just leave a low severity note citing R9 part 8.

The other situation I see this happening in is the funny space lube spam / general shitter clown. This could be a violation of R8 if it excessively hampers securities and others ability to do their jobs as well as the previous R9 violation. Depending on severity and previous note history, this could be a medium severity note or a short ban.

In either case, I would try to find a way to get the gun back on station if any traitors have it as a target. As a side note, if they did this to the HoS during an arrest/code red situation harsher punishment would be meted out since that is not the time or the place for slipping when lives are on the line.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:

I would ajail ask them to explain themselves, but this is pretty blatant grief and I don’t see how they could convince me or someone else otherwise. Check their ban history on CentCom as well as note history on Beestation since this is likely a ban evading situation, and apply a permanent ban assuming I’m a fullmin in this situation.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

This is most likely an IC issue, but just to be on the safe side I would check what chemicals he’s been mixing. If all they’ve done is make meth and potassium and water bombs that’ll raise an eyebrow and a R2 note/ban will be applied depending on their history.

If they’re clean and it’s clear that it was just an accident, inform them why the explosion happened and how to prevent it in the future, teach them how to send mhelps for any future questions, then mark the issue IC.

6 Likes

Hello and thank you for making this application!
Very good answers :muscle:
Here’s a couple of plausible ahelps, I’d like to see how you would reply (these can be quite hard, and there isn’t a one true answer):

1. “hello can i tell sec the names of syndicate incursion? i have radio from pirate”

A non-antagonist miner asked. They had killed a space pirates and took all their loot about 20 minutes before sending the ahelp.

1. “[ player’s name ] got salty that he got converted so they tried to break the ark and insulted us. Revive them and give them a different player please.”

Clock cult round. 50 hours player, one prior note for LRP.

1. “botanist killed me with his dumb acid fruit but i didn’t hit them”

The person who ahelped was a traitor, and was killed by the botanist’s death nettles. The botanist in question was recently banned for a week for validhunting and powergaming.

Good luck with the application!! :muscle: :muscle:

3 Likes

The format is a little weird for your questions but I assume you wanted the statement to correspond with the question below.

1. The wording of this question makes it seem as though some non-security guy killed a pirate, stole their headset, and now wants to snitch. Unless security or command has authorized a militia this could be considered valid hunting since non-security aren’t supposed to charge in and deal with antagonists. If a militia has been authorized, this falls under a bit of a gray area.
    Security aren’t supposed to use antagonist equipment but using encryption keys has been overlooked in the past, and since this is presumably non-security there isn’t a rule saying they strictly CAN’T do it. Ultimately, I would say no as in getting the encryption key they could have broken R2 by validhunting and using antagonist equipment could also fall under R2 since syndie key does give all channels barring binary. It’s also just a not cool move since it’s an instant “You are valid, do not pass go, do not collect $200, do not have fun” for the incursionists on the receiving end.

I just read the second part below that fuck my life, but the general point still stands. With the added context 99% likely they validhunted the guy then powergamed by having the loot unless some lavaland escalation type stuff happened.

1. I would bwoink other people first and ask for their perspective since the ahelper seems a little heated. Breaking the Ark would be round ruining for clock cultists if they had successfully completed it. Rule breaks you could cite would be R7 word for word with “Do not try and intentionally ruin other people’s fun.”, R8 for trying to round ruin their fellow cultists who they should be assisting, and R13.2 for the same reasons. Some people hate conversion antags and I can sympathize with that, but attempting to ruin other people just because of game mechanics is lame. Since you specified they have a previous note for LRP I would apply a short antagonist ban instead of a full game ban since at 50 hours they might not have seen clock cult before and known how much damage they almost did. I wouldn’t do any shenanigans with the body as I wouldn’t be capable of that as a moderator and losing one cultist is not a huge deal.

1. I would first make sure that the botanist themself wasn’t an antagonist who needed to kill/otherwise deal with the original traitor. If the botanist is, and has objectives that would preclude any antagonist conduct breaks, rule it an IC issue. If not, check damage logs to make sure the traitor is telling the truth about the botanist. Even if the traitor did hit the botanist first, unless the botanist was on deaths door with no other way to defend themselves this would be a violation of escalation policy and thus breaks R9. The fact they also have robust acid nettles will be a break of rule 2 and depending on how they conduct themselves in the ahelp if it becomes evident they were validhunting they can be hit with that as well. Overall barring any extenuating circumstances, the botanist is likely going to get an even longer ban than they previously were given and since that’s higher than what I’d be able to do as a moderator I’d get a higher level admin to authorize it.

Sorry for garbage formatting I can’t start a new paragraph and still have the numbers look good.

2 Likes

Yes, this is a case of powergaming. They should not be carrying the pirate’s gear.
In this case say no to the ahelp, tell them to give the gear to the warden and issue a note for powergaming (unless they already have notes about the same behaviour, in which case this could translate into a short ban)

I believe a short server ban for griefing/0rp would be better in this case.
Antag bans tend to be given for: antag rolling, overscalation as antagonist or seeking conversion (of course there are exceptions to this)

Good answer, that’s what i needed to hear :muscle:

I think you’d be a good addition to the staff team! +1 from me!

T:+1

3 Likes

Not an admin myself so I can’t vote, but I would just like to say Darn is a very knowledgable player, and most importantly, actively RPs well. I think they would be a great mod/admin

3 Likes

Forum people deleted the posts below this, it makes me sad.

I am not going to respond to obvious bait but if admins want me to I can.

2 Likes

My fucking god, you people.

This is a staff application. Stop peanut posting.

7 Likes

Just going clear the air now before you start to get ideas. Case-law/common law/individual rulings are not going to happen. We did it once, we’ll never do it again.

4 Likes

We did it once, we’ll never do it again.

The wannabe lawyer in me is sad but I can see how rigid systems might not work so well

Denying this for the time being due to a basically complete lack of ingame activity.

Feel free to apply at a later date once your activity increases again.