Caecilius Admin Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):
whyiscaeciliustaken

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):
SunTzuSaidThat

How often are you online to play/admin? (Timezone):
I am rather busy on weekdays recently, but I can spare more time on weekends and after about December 7th. I can still spare about an hour on weekdays currently. Timezone is GMT.

What changes, if any, would you bring?:
Currently there are nowhere near enough admins on in my timezone, especially on sage. I’d like to correct that, because even the thought of no admins online leads to various people thinking they can try their luck. I’ve seen all sorts of things done when no admins are on because people think they can get away with it then, such as all of sec going on a clown genocide.

How old are you?:

Why do you want to be an admin?:
There aren’t enough admins on in my timezone and I’d like to help out.

How long have you been playing SS13?:
7 Months

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
5 Months

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:
7 - I have a knowledge of how to play every department to an adequate standard, and know how the various types of antagonist work. My direct combat prowess lets me down here because I’m godawful at toolboxing/axing spessmen until horizontal.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?:
2. I’ve read and understood the guide to admin tools. That’s it.

Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13:
Nope.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
Nope.

Your strengths:

• I do volunteer work with children through the scout movement and have done for more than two years now. As a result, I have developed experience with working with children and a degree of patience when dealing with disputes as well as general dumb stuff.
  • When considering a situation I tend to look at both sides in detail before coming to a decision, and I generally avoid hasty judgement.
  • I’m available when there are very few admins on.

Your weaknesses:

• See timezone part. I don’t have that much free time available up until early December, where I should be more free.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
No. While there are certainly things that annoy me, my time spent working with children has taught me the importance of restraint and objectivity when making decisions.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
Objectivity and the ability to isolate your emotions from decision making. Administrators have very impactful tools at their disposal with relatively little oversight most of the time. As such, it is vitally important to look at each case presented to you objectively, fairly and thoroughly, taking into account all context and trying to sideline your emotions and biases as much as possible. It’s important not to let the power get to your head too, as mistakes an administrator makes have far, far, far more impact than those of any other player.

What makes a staff team good?:
Several things. Firstly, a staff team must communicate and co-ordinate. Having 20 admins on Golden is all well and good if there are none on sage while a griefer plasmafloods. Similarly, some tickets (like plasmafloods) are able to be dealt with far more effectively if two admins work on it at once (One reverses the consequences, the other deals with the offender).
Secondly, a staff team must remain objective. Everyone must take due consideration before acting, gather adequate information and avoid favouritism. Even a single bad admin can make the whole lot look bad, so it is important to not only remain objective yourself, but also keep a watch to ensure that other members of the team are also doing so.

What is a staff team’s purpose?:
To ensure that the server rules are enforced correctly and fairly on everyone, in order to prevent those who would ignore the rules ruin the fun for everyone else. If you want to know why the rules exist, go play goon on the 13th of any month for a glance at near-lawlessness.

What kind of player are you?:
I tend to be a rather chill player. I tend to avoid picking fights if I can, and if I end up with an assassination target I prefer stealthy and less physical methods.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
I assume you mean how I as a player will change. I’ll have to accept that certain things which I don’t like personally but don’t violate the rules are allowed and I won’t act upon them (eg validhunting and greytiding). I will have to separate what is allowed from what I think is right.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
Firstly, I would open the traitor tab and see if anyone has an objective to steal it. I will act upon that last.
Secondly I would check the logs to see if the HoS was simply disarmed of his weapon or if the clown stunned him and looted his backpack. Things to look out for that would indicate the latter would be:
Clown removing the HoS’s backpack or coat
Clown applying handcuffs or zipties
Clown using stun items on the HoS
If, after checking this, it appears to be the former, IC issue, as the clown just slipped him and took it from his hand which council ruled to be IC unless there is a pressing need for the item immediately. If it was the latter I would ask the clown why he did it and warn him with a note and tell him not to do it again.
Finally, if there is a traitor with the objective to steal the gun I would teleport the gun back to the HoS’s office and subtle message him to let him know that it is back there.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
First I would admin prison him to prevent him reversing the other admin’s repairs. Then I would check the pipe setup to see how they plasmaflooded, and their playtime. While exceptionally unlikely it is possible they were brand new and messed around with the pipes not knowing what they were doing. This would be indicated by a seemingly random assortment of pumps opened, pumps not being maxed to 4500kpa and the waste in pump being left on. Any modifications to the default pipe layout or especially the addition of volume pumps or other modifications to improve the output of plasma would indicate that they know fine well that they’re flooding poisonous flammable gas everywhere. Next I would ask them why they plasmaflooded and finally take their response into account.

Low playtime + Deliberate pipe setup + probable trolling or memeing in ahelps would indicate a griefer, who would definitely warrant a permaban.

Someone with low playtime, a crappy setup indicating inexperience and apparent cluelessness in ahelps is possibly just an irresponsible newbie, and so I would explain the severity of their actions to them. Still, with such a serious offence, even in ignorance, needs to be driven home as a very big no no, and so I would probably give them a month ban from engineering and a short to moderate server ban in order to give them time to understand why it was such a wrong thing to do.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
IC issue, they’re probably new. I would talk to them in dchat about what happened (they’d probably be very confused), then point out that they’ll probably be cloned as they’re already in medbay, before linking the guide to chemistry and suggesting they read it while they wait to be cloned.

1 Like

@AsciiSquid another one.

Memes asides, question time.

• LRP. Mime ahelps that Warden is mistreating them by constant leg sweep. As you open logs and PM Warden to ask about the situation, Mime gets up, steals Warden’s shotgun as he’s busy answering, and proceeds to kill him and another security officer. Wat do?

• MRP. Head of Personnel roundstart becomes Captain by default. 2 hours into the shift, Captain joins, and goes to HOP’s office to reclaim his stuff. HoP refuses. Captain proceeds to disable HOP and execute him under the reasoning that he disobeyed a superior’s order. Wat do?

• Discord. Someone joins and starts spamming adminhelp ping, demanding to be unbanned, throwing slurs and whatever could offend a spess men. Wat do?

1: On the old forums, there was a case where someone got the good ol’ badsec treatment and ahelped, but broke out and killed the sec officer in question while they were being bwoinked. The person who killed the sec officer was banned in that case. I believe that this sets a precedent for situations like this, that if you ahelp you accept that you are not to escalate the situation any further. Regardless of that, leg sweep is a nonlethal attack, which when repeated allows the mime to crit the warden but not kill him, and certainly not kill a random security officer who was uninvolved. Depending on the notes of the mime I would give him a short to moderate server ban for overescalation, a few days perhaps for a first offence.

2: First check the logs to see if the HoP did anything other than refuse. If not, the crime he committed is insubordination, which carries a recommended sentence of two minutes or a demotion. Space law is only a guideline, but execution for a two minute crime is a massively overly heavy punishment. I would give him, again depending on notes to see if there is a pattern of repeat behaviour, a short server ban and a command and sec ban for around a week, as they clearly have no idea how space law works.

edit: I forgot to add the part about if the HoP did try to prevent the captain from becoming the captain. Then the crime would be mutiny which, while kinda crappy, you can legally be executed or permad for (It has happened to me before and Victor said it was valid).

3: Warn him to cut it out and point out that being so obnoxious is hardly going to help his case if he wants unbanned, and linking him to the unban appeals forum. If he continues I would ban him from the discord server, that sort of behaviour is unlikely to come from someone who wasn’t banned for a good reason, and so I would point it out if he did go to appeal.

Can’t really say anything but what a based individual.

+2

And yes, Mime’s case was a case that happened a long time ago.

-12937818742 for not just laughing at the HoS for being unrobust.

The traitor’s greentext is below that absolute chad history of the clown slipping the HoS.

But in all honesty, +2 for some solid fucking answers and in-depth descriptions.
Seems redpilled and a very good candidate.

Oh, and, before Zodrak shits on the fact that you’ll only be able to put in an hour of adminning on weekdays.

1 > 0. | One is greater than zero.

Plus having an admin on when others aren’t is very much needed.

Something is better than nothing.

A failing grade is better than no grade.

+1.5 good awnsers and seems chill, stop calling me a nyagger i dont even play felinid…

You all can laugh at me for including the bit about working with children all you want, but half the playerbase are children and the other half act like it.

It’s funny and an actual strength, I’m not laughing AT you

On top of the really good application and answers his Discord name is a TF2 reference, thus deeming him ultra based

+200000000000000000000

+1. I’m sure you’ll be able to wrangle all the sweaty men using only a keyboard and mouse.

its all i need smh.

+1 all of the above points.

+2.

Relevant real life training to the situation that can be discerningly applied to the situation.

He’s basically certified.

In addition, great answers to all presented questions.

+2

we need more admins that don’t have anime avatars

Accepted. I’ll add your role on the Discord and you’ll be given in-game perms when you initiate your training with an Admin Trainer or Council member.