Bring Back Borers

Cortical Borers were removed over a series of small bugs. They’re genuinely fun to play, and considering this is one of the few servers that isn’t either completely dead or too confusing to exist on, I’d like to see them brought back.

6 Likes

i agree

2 Likes

When were they a thing on Bee?

They got removed on June 28th, 2017.

I would love this for a whole 20 characters.

1 Like

What even are these?

1 Like

BeeStation has a wiki page for them, so I’ll just sum them up briefly.
Cortical Borers were antags in 2017, and are little slugs that exist in a strange symbiotic relationship with humans.

most people who played cortical borers were more or less friendly because killing them was so easy. they’re a pai that can produce and inject meth into their host and take over from time to time

2 Likes

/vg/ still has them if you want to play to see how they work.

I hate them because they arent…antags persay.

They are symbiotic. They help their host. They dont necessarily harm anything persay and they have no objectives other than to prolifarate.

/vg/ has a modified version which are designed to be “helpers” instead of outright antags. Paradise Station has the original.

its hard to be antagonistic as a borer bc your crutch is so unbelievably plentiful and the balancing on borers taking over their host wasn’t the greatest. the ideal “antag” way to play borers is to proliferate and take complete control over your hosts, so that the “originals” are subdued and essentially spectators. a win condition would be x percentage of the crew actively taken over by borers.

i’ve seen borers win and almost completely subvert the crew, just requires a lot of planning and conniving.

Can’t people use the RESIST function to wrench control away from the borer?

yes but afaik it was a bit tilted in the host’s favour. you could take over long enough to reach sugar in 90% of cases.

Corterial Borers as a minor mid round side antag like swarmers but instead of eating staiton they want to infest the crew… i dunno.
Swarmers dont win and neither do borers really

2 Likes

I think friendly borers is a terrible idea for any large server where people play to win

/vg/ isn’t really about coherence so it works alright

What “friendly” means is:
I wait for antag.

sounds like a spiced up version of split personality. I like it.

1 Like

To make it work as a friendly you’d probably need it to be like, implanting a pAI into your brain almost, where the borer doesn’t really have choice who it’s in. Just the limb it occupies (since they have different abilities.)

That could still be a fun sort of implant-like system.

You could also force them to swap hosts relatively often but that would probably be extremely annoying and unfun for the borer, especially if you aren’t antag hopping it’ll make it feel like you’re being punished for no reason.

Or just hostile borers if people actually find that enjoyable. The main problem I remember from paradise is them not really having any sort of clear objectives or goals, so you’d get a lot of bad borers who’d either fuck you hard for no reason or would basically not exist.

You could implement it that removing a borer out of someone’s system makes them more helpful than dominating. So borer players would not just get fucked over and the previously infected host can get a useful symbiont in his body.
Win win.

1 Like

of course, i’d point to the implementation of borers on vg, but then i remember that vg players don’t look for an excuse to kill each other 24/7 like on bee

2 Likes

…Are you suggesting people validhunt out here? Regardless, borers will definitely help people survive getting hunted (and even killed if you use the right server’s borer)