Branickii Buckwheat: The Admin Appening

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):
JonnySalami

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):
Flanco#0808

How often are you online to play/admin? (Timezone):
Anywhere from 3-5 hours a day, PST (Potentially changing timezone soon - see bottom)

What changes, if any, would you bring?:
Initially I would sit back and get comfortable with the day-to-day and long term operations, get a good understanding of everything, after which I would consider if there was anything that could be feasibly improved or changed for the better.

How old are you?:

Why do you want to be an admin?:
I’ve only ever played SS13 on Bee, and have grown to enjoy the community. I’ve made some good friends IC and OOC. To my perception, Bee appears to be losing staff members more than maintaining or growing staff. I’d like to do my best with keeping Bee alive, while also giving back to the community, and helping to maintain and bolster the level of RP on Sage. With the upcoming closing of Golden, and the opening of a new MRP over-flow server, I’d like to help with transitioning the community to the new reality of Bee. I also understand that the admins likely have their plates full with this transition, and would like to assist however I can.

How long have you been playing SS13?:
Since December of 2020.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
Also December of 2020.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:
With how deep a lot of the mechanics are, and perhaps too humbly, I would place myself at a 4.

Are there jobs I’m very good at? Absolutely. I wouldn’t consider myself a master of them by any means, however. I do however think I am pretty decent at RP.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?:
Having barely touched the SS13 Admin panel while messing around, I would place myself at a 6. I’m sure there are some background programs/tools I’m unfamiliar with in terms of SS13.

There are still some aspects of SS13 admin and community logic I’m still getting the hang of. Some decisions seem alien to me, but understandable.

Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13:
Yes, I was admin turned headmin/co-owner on a minecraft server for 8 years. Our community sat at around 400 regulars fighting for server slots, with a discord of about 1,200 members. I got extremely burnt out on MC however and turned the reins over last year. My Headmin/Co-Owner position was for about 5 of those years.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
Nope! Just the one.

Your strengths:

• I’d say the ability to step back and constantly re-assess the situation would be a big one.
  • Also accounting for bias in a situation. There may be a player I don’t like, but if I’ve bwoinked them, I’d mentally account for that as best I could - likely get another admins input on it to make sure I’m not going over the top.

Your weaknesses:
I think a weak aspect to me, SS13 wise, would be my minimal understanding of some jobs.
Sometimes backend tools are so janky, my eyes glaze over and it takes me extra time to learn and adapt to them.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
When I would talk to players on the MC server, very similar to a bwoink “Hey, got a minute?” kind of thing - something I would find irritating would be only getting one word answers back. As an admin I was trying to work with them, maybe I’ve mis-interpreted the situation, and so on. I’ve given the player the opportunity to find a moment when they can, and then they give me one word answers and start with hostility off the bat. Usually rare in my experience, just frustrating trying to go in on a neutral stance and be brushed off essentially.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
The ability to understand that, at the end of the day, sometimes people do dumb stuff without realizing it until you point it out, and to have patience. Everyones there to have fun, sometimes people just don’t think about their actions.

What makes a staff team good?:
Communications first and foremost - when everyone has an idea of what others are doing, I think it works well for the machine. Just a simple “Hey, I’m really bogged down with X, could you help me take care of Y if you have time?”

What is a staff team’s purpose?:

1. To ensure there are minimal shitters and maintain the server’s environment (say for Sage, keeping the RP up when manageable).
  2. To make it so that, at the end of the round, everyone had fun in some fashion if possible, without being overt.
  3. Destroy anything destroying server performance

What kind of player are you?:
I like to go with the flow, see where the round takes me while I interact with others and do my job. I’ve had some instances where people have treated my characters in a fashion that would be considered ahelp-able. While those instances are frustrating, I try to deal with it purely IC, rather than ahelping.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
I’m not sure, honestly. I’ve got a fair expectation of the work, to my perception. The only thing that worries me is that the line between what my characters do and don’t know RP lore wise would blur. For instance knowing characters X and Y had a situation three rounds prior, where my character Z wasn’t present. Then making sure that Z doesn’t know about X and Y’s situation when interacting with them.

I’d probably shit post less in discord since I’d be a member of staff and held to higher standards.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
Presuming the clown is not an antag, I’d try to determine what led up to those events. The HoS’ gun is a high risk item, and likely to be something an antag would have to steal. If the clown did it unprovoked, I’d certainly bwoink them and depending on history:

1. Get their side of the story and vet it
  2. If no history, let them know why its bad and a minor note
  3. If history, potentially give them a note / ban, depending on severity of history.

Then probably magic the gun back to the station for both the HoS and any antags that might potentially have it as a steal objective.

Lot of context that could change the situation.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:

I’d ask first and fore-most what they are doing, and what they hope to accomplish by those actions, do they have some sort of justification? While extremely unlikely, maybe I’d somehow missed an event where they had been abducted or something, or hypnotized into releasing the plasma - wherein then I’d look at the antag’s goals and determine the legality of making people plasmaflood.

If bad / no reason:

Taking into account: notes / account age / play time, it would very likely be a permaban in most cases. Rarely, a temp ban and a note if they had a clean record.

I’d also take into account if it was a clean record account with hundreds of hours, instances like the account breaches from a few months ago, if something similar had happened recently.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

I’d check his hours in chemistry, and probably bwoink him. I know a lot of new chemists can’t resist the siren’s call of methamphetamine. If able to, explain what happened to them and what their mistake was, maybe they exceeded temperature, maybe there was an issue with two chemicals they mixed. The aftermath is an IC issue for the station though. Mistakes happen, depending on the context of the account hours and time in chemistry, probably wouldn’t even note them. Sounds like a learning moment.

Now the shoe is on the other foot!

In terms of the time zone change, I am hunting for work and likely will end up moving across the country to EST. I don’t believe my hours would change, but there may be a time of 2-3 weeks where I would be inactive as I’d get set up for a new living situation and so on. As far as I can tell, this would be about 2 months out.

Now, my turn for questions!

A. What are some of the big issues currently faced by the admin team?
B. What are some of the programs utilized for going through logs?
C. Are there any sorts of materials to work off of to learn these programs, or is it more of a stumble in the dark and figure it out / DM other admins asking for guidance?
D. Will I always be expected to admin ingame, or will I be able to have rounds where I can just play and RP and so on?

These would of course factor into my interests in pursuing a staff position.

Thanks much for your time and consideration!

2 Likes

This is fine, but I do want to warn you on the dangers of assuming someone is a shitter just because they have more notes / bans than the average person. Shitters are generally people who purposefully try to ruin others experiences where others might make some really dumb decisions in hindsight worthy of a ban, but understandable.

I guess this is just a warning against treating those who have more notes / bans differently.

Again, this is provided they werent warned about something very similar in the past and is repeat bad behaviour.

If they respond with “haha I like griefing”, you should probably permaban regardless of history.

Yeah, thats pretty much what I would do

Lack of active admins

You can access them ingame or download them as a txt file

Adminchat or pinging other admins, theres a few guides for very new admins but none for advanced use of the tools sadly.

In general, if your playing a round you should de-admin (reffered to as “deadminning”) for the duration you plan on playing to avoid getting told meta information.
Ex: Ahelp: Cult something something while your playing the round.
You can re-admin later if your taken out of the round permanently but you shouldnt handle any tickets related to yourself.
While deadminned your basically a normal player, with the exception of having the ability to re-admin yourself with the press of a button.
You will definately still be able to play the game like normal as an admin.

On another note, you have 572 hours with no bans, so that is quite a good sign you will do decent as an admin.

+1

Recommended to apply (sort of). I don’t feel the need to ask any questions before giving them a chance

+1

Thank you both for the feedback, and Isy for answering my questions!

1 Like

Very good app and history +1

B. What are some of the programs utilized for going through logs?

The other answer left out kibana, which is a very nice website for logs.

Like if you want to sort multiple player’s saves and attack logs into one, linear list instead of messing around with multiple panels, kibana can do that easily. Also pulls across many rounds so if you’re considering deporting someone for not being fit, you can just check a sample from their other rounds to determinate how they talk/act.

Though trial admins don’t get it, and I don’t think most people use it mid-round even though they can.

1 Like

I use exclusively kibana if I can help it, with the exception of skimming someone’s say logs for the current round.

Being able to immediately pull general statistics helps with decision-making a lot.

1 Like

While you can always ask admins, this is 90% of how you learn things

Dont take it too seriously. or youl burn out faster then rocket fuel

The app looks good, and according to the other mins your history is clear with quite alot of hours. 1+ for me.

1 Like

There is no simple answer to this question, our issues are made out of many small ones and there is no much that can be said without leaking staff only information.

I think the one that we face and that is pretty well known is lack of coverage.

As a staff member you can request access to Kibana (as mentioned by admins above).Apart from that you can use any program really. Notepad++ works pretty well.

You will get a standard training on how to view, understand and download logs. I believe we also have a guide on how to operate on kibana. But you can always ask if you have problems with anything.
Just don’t be affraid to ask, there are no stupid questions.

Generally, You will be receiving training regarding most of the admin work so you won’t be left alone with everything. There is much to learn but it’s fairly simple once you get a hold of it.

There is no requirement for you to admin while playing. We even encourage you to dead admin when you play but you can stay adminned and solve tickets if you wish.

It’s very easy to burn down as an admin if you do nothing else than adminning, So it’s very important that you take break and enjoy playing yourself.

Summary: Very honest and good looking app, I am looking forward to have you in our team.
+1
T:+5

1 Like

Goode Candidate
+1
20 Characters

1 Like

Thank you all for getting back to me, and for additional answers to my questions!

1 Like

If any admins are sitting on the fence, I would of course more than welcome answering some questions! Worst case, I’ll get some practice in!

2 Likes

For the chemistry question, I’d just like to say that oftentimes, it’s not even worth bwoinking for something like that.

Second - I’d recommend that any time you have questions on an ambiguous answer or piece of policy, or you’re not sure what to do, we have an adminhelp help channel. Lean on it - I did a TON when I was a newer admin, and I think it did me good to do so, and I still will ask questions there if I’m ever uncertain or want a second opinion.
+1

T: +7

1 Like

Application accepted.

Welcome to the team.

3 Likes