Botany and you. (Brainstorming thread)

Liquid contents already doesn’t administer chems just like splashing from beaker doesn’t. The problem is that it allows grenades that activate on-contact by combining it with seperated chems.

Yes, and this will still be the same after the proposed change, but it will carry only half of the potential payload it does now, and other plants will also carry less “payload” whether it’s beneficial or not… or do plants just completely ignore their own reagent cap and that stat only applies to injected reagents?

Because yes, I am only the admin cleaning up after powergaming/self-antag botanists and watching the particularly good ones easily decimate even players that should be protected from the effects of plants.

This is me simping for advanced mutation toxin because damn it, I like making transformation juice to turn into stuff like skellies and ash walkers! If it ends up having to go though, so be it. I guess that’ll be a way to harass xenobio and get them to leave their neckbeard cave.

Just keep in mind- It’s easy to punish without bringing anything to make the job more fun. This is why TG botany is a derelict mess. As someone that has put in 140 hours in botany, I’d like to think I have a pretty good grasp of the role. And, likehow Xenobio got great updates to their crossbreed kit(Science is my second favorite role at 30 hrs played on this server, so I was closely following your updates there), botany needs incentive to make other things. Instead of just punishing, how about we give botany some mutated plants that can get healing chems? Perhaps a plant mutation that lets botanists create cryoxadone, so med comes and asks for help.

The weirdest part about the food roles for me right now is that one 100 potency watermelon feeds a person for the whole shift and makes you fat. Secondly, if you don’t eat food, you have no real negative side effects. There’s no incentive to get people to come by and grab a bite, so they don’t. A rework of food needs would completely change what botanists do I believe. When you have people actually coming by for food, you have less of an incentive to make superweapons.

I personally think it’s dumb to put normal healing chems behind a strange seed wall. Botanists can make earthsblood early yes, and there are plants like lifeweed or lilies. However, there’s no incentive. Especially when devs would rather remove and punish than add more utility and “fun” to the role.

Tl;DR; Basically med never asks for anything, chef rarely asks for plants(and eating food has more negatives than benefits for some reason), no oversight from bots “Head of staff”, and little opportunity to provide fun and helpful things to the ship. Rather than thinking “How can I punish the best players of this role?”, you should be thinking “How can I make the players of this role more relevant to the ship and incentivized to help crewmates?”

3 Likes

As many people said before me, botany should be turned away from the dangerous shit by offering more activities, or more of the ones that already exist.

Cargo should get more roundstart food bounties and make them more profitable, as well as having bounties for plants (with the excesses going to the chef). This would incentivise botany to grow a larger variety of plants instead of funny weed and funny nettles.

However, the problems with botany stem from the approach to plant farming that advanced botanists have.

From my experience, capable botanists think of botany almost like xenobio:

• spam mutagen on ambrosia vulgaris until you get gaia
  • spam saltpetre for max potency
  • get grass to max potency until you get practically infinite biomass
  • mix traits with other plants until you’re basically a god

It is incredible how fast botany can achieve all of this. I have seen a botanist single-handedly get all of the trays upgraded, 100 pot grass, maxed out adv mutation deathnettles in under half an hour.

Because of this largely OOC mindset, new botanists will be indoctrinated into becoming these power-hungry demigods. Enforcing role play and OOC punishments are not going to have that much of an effect; only the hard nerfs (like blacklisting bee reagents, restricting plants behind an uplink, and making hypo needles/gaseous decomp/etc mutually exclusive) will have any effect.

Basically speaking, ruko is like “OHH NOOO, DEPARTMENT HAS A WAY TO SELF ANTAG, TIME TO NERF IT INTO THE GROUND!!”

IF you really want your point to stand, why dont you make it so make it so most bad symptoms from viro are nerfed? what about removing xenobio altogether?

what ruko means, is he wants in a FIGURATIVE sense is everybody except security, command, and antagonists to be paxed roundstart, followed up by having flash protection if you are not security is grounds for consication of it, and gulag time

I tried botany out, i couldnt really get the hang of it and making deathplants, These botanists are EXPERIENCED people, they deserve this knowledge, but doing it as a non-antag? Powergaming or self antag, Ruko is punishing people for their knowlegde of the game

1 Like

This thread is for discussion about how to approach problems with botany. If you take a chance to actually read some of the posts in the thread, most players involved that actually have experience in botany agree that these are issues worth tackling.

If you want to sling shit at me for gathering feedback and information about how to fix issues with a department I don’t fully understand by involving the community, go do it in my staff feedback thread.

1 Like

Who are you even talking to?

1 Like

If you cut Omega Weed in half you buff it, 210% instead of 420% is much more preferable since it allows you to hit the ceiling and reduce the strength of one reagent trait much more efficiently.

But for all means please do this :smile:

Most of the botany players actually disagree with you. Dont comment if you dont have experience with the job. Your opinion is unwelcome.

Kindly fuck off.

For once Ruko is actually doing something good and we are going to help him.

Ruko: Botanists can make bombs out of plants 1 out of 4 shifts and and it takes an hour to get a good boom, time to delete

Toxins: Exists

Separated Chemicals are a trait of glowberries, which you can get roundstart with few clicks. Water is from watermelons, directly from vendor. Same with potassium and liquid contents. Use holy water from holy melons and they are even more potent.

You: commenting while being clueless.

I mean you cant exactly store 100 maxcaps/singletanks/grenades in a single, tiny-sized item, can you?

Im serious plant bags are tiny-sized and hold 100 plants at a time ruko pls nerf

Who uses plant bags? I only use the portable seed dispensers.

(Bag of holding exists) also i dont think plants can reach max cap. Also meth nades exist

They definitely can’t reach maxcap, but you can have over 100 grenades in your pocket that are activated by tossing at someone/something. Or something that just spreads CLF/plasma smoke that also stuns you.

Assuming you are a traitor just buy bluespace compressor print a bunch of trash bags of holding and shrink your max caps or nades

Bluespace compressor has five (5) charges and, yes, while it can be recharged with bluespace crystals

Plant bags are literal cloth

Grenades are iron, cable coil, and beakers
Maxcaps are TTVs, plasma, and oxygen

Are you interested in compressing 100 grenades?

I mean its not my bluespace crystals so i dont mind

Where in hells are you gonna get 100 bluespace crystals

Be a catgirl and pray.
:sunglasses: