Bluerailer Admin Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): Bluerailer (Daman616, but I lost access to the account back in 2022)

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Bluerailer

How often are you online to play/admin? (CST): 6PM-3AM every day, 11AM-3PM on Wed and Thu

What changes, if any, would you bring?: I want to bring more players into engaging experiences during lowpop, looking out for low-effort griefing during said time, as well as actively seeking out newer players to assist with more difficult jobs such as Engineer and Atmos.

How old are you?: Mid-twenties

Why do you want to be an admin?: I’ve been playing SS13 for a good while and would like to help the server become more accessible. As it stands, while Bee has definitely been one of, if not the, easiest codebases to learn. However, most friends or acquaintances who I introduce to it quickly find themselves overwhelmed, and too anxious to reach out to staff for fear of bothering them. I feel I’m quite good at easing people into the experience, while also not taking them out of the experience. At the same time, I’ve also had a few friends be turned off from the server entirely due to folks not RPing, or just generally being a nuisance to those trying to enjoy themselves.

How long have you been playing SS13?: I started back on Goon in 2016, but kinda started to hate it. Started hopping around to different servers, and around 2019 realized that tg codebase was my favorite. Took a break from SS13 during college and came back around 2021 and lost my old account in 2022 when my email got hacked.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: Since August 2023.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: Probably a 6, 4 when it comes to how gasses work

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?: 7

Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13: I moderated my college’s minecraft server, as well as experience with gmod admining back in the day

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: Daman616 (I’m unsure if the account is active anymore, I tried again recently to recover the account but it said it didn’t recognize the name.)

Your strengths: I rarely take verbal abuse from trolls seriously, I pick up learning new things very quickly (bit of a jack of all trades, master of none), I have extensive experience with leadership positions from my time in college and my current workplace.

Your weaknesses: I’m apathetic about things I don’t believe in, I tend to value attitude over actions, I’m a bit quiet

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: People who gatekeep SS13, or harass newbies

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Patience and understanding. It’s simple but genuinely as long as you have patience and understanding, 90% of the time the other person will have the same with you. Golden rule and what not, no one wants to listen to someone if they come out swinging.

What makes a staff team good?: Communication and standardized understanding. If Person A has a different understanding of the rules than Person B, it causes confusion for not only the players, but other staff members, and at times creates a conflict of interest. Obviously there has to be room for flexibility, but overall the rules should be enforced consistently regardless of personal bias.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: To ensure that the machine is running smoothly, so to speak. Ensuring that any problems that arise are taken care of in a way that’s respectful to the people and environment.

What kind of player are you?: I mainly play xenobiology (I’m a big fan of becoming goofy races for RP purposes), occasionally I’ll play engineer if none are present or if the need arises. Mime is also pretty great because it’s fun to work around not being able to speak. I tend not to roleplay very vocally since I mainly like to see what other people do, but I’ll never turn down an offer to join someone’s gimmick. Be it space faring or ghost hunting.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: I think I’ll have a greater appreciation for the job staff does behind the scenes. Show not tell and all that.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?: I would check to see if the clown is an antag, or if there is a valid roleplay reason for the clown to do what they’ve done. If they are an antag, I would let the situation play out and only intervene should it break any rules. If they are not an antag, I would ahelp them and ask why they did that. I would remind them that stealing the HoS’s gun and spacing it is a serious offense that could be considered self-antaging or griefing, depending on the context and intent. Depending on the clown’s response, attitude and previous notes; I would apply an appropriate punishment, such as a warning, a note, a job ban, or a server ban. I would also inform the HoS of the situation and likely locate the gun and move it to a location where it can be found, as to not mess up the roleplay environment.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?: I would check logs and account age to see if there was any valid reason or excuse for them to sabotage the loop (they could be new and geuninely not how to do atmos. In which case, I would explain to them what they did wrong, and add a neutral note for the future in case they do it again.). If they have no valid reason or excuse, I would remind them that by sabotaging the loop, they’re breaking rules 2 and 8. I would inform them that their actions have caused significant damage to the station and crew. I would ask them if they had read the rules, and if not, would issue a 1 day ban and direct them to the server rules. If they have already read the rules or have significant hours, I would issue a 1 day server ban, and 2 day engineering ban if it was a first offense.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?: Check for antag. If they are an antag, do nothing. If they aren’t an antag, bwoink em and ask them what they were trying to do. If it was an obvious mistake like mixing plasma with a liquid that was too hot, or mixing potassium and water. Inform them of their mistake, and advise them of the guide to chemistry on the wiki. If they were trying to make explosives, inform them that doing so is considered powergaming unless they are authorized to do so at the request of a higher authority, or it is necessitated by the presence of an antagonist like the Space Dragon or Nukies. Depending on playtime and previous remarks, I would issue a note, job ban, or server ban.

2 Likes

What is a valid roleplay reason for a nonantagonist clown to steal the X-01 and face the rest of their life in prison?

There is no such thing as ‘neutral’ notes. It is either a positive note or a minor note.

I only really have one question for you.

What made you want to apply to the Beestation staff team? Why not TG, or Monke? You’ve expressed before that you don’t agree with our rules, why would you want to enforce them?

You aren’t terribly active in the community (27 messages in total on discord, very little interaction on forums beside your own player reports), not to mention your patchy history and things like this:

So, why us?

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback on my application. I appreciate your honesty and I will try to address your concerns as best as I can.

• A valid roleplay reason for a nonantagonist clown to steal the X-01 and face the rest of their life in prison is very hard to come up with, as it would be a clear violation of the rules for the clown role, which state that “you are not allowed to seriously harm or kill anyone, or interfere with the objectives of antagonists” and that “you are expected to follow the chain of command and respect the authority of the heads of staff”.I personally cannot think of a valid reason, but if there was one, I feel that I would be able to recognize it However, this would still be a very poor roleplay choice, as it would ruin the fun for the HoSand make the clown look like a griefing troll.
  • The main reason why I wanted to apply to the Beestation staff team is because Beestation has been the most fun codebase to play on. For context, the OOC was pretty much just salt that I got bwoinked since it took me out of what I thought was going to turn into something interesting. I have played on other servers, such as TG and Monke, but I did not enjoy them as much as Beestation, as they either had too much chaos and violence, or too much restrictions and boredom. I think that Beestation has a great mix of fun and realism, and I want to help maintain and improve that.
  • I admit that I have expressed some disagreement with some of the rules, but I have also tried my best to respect and follow them. Every time I go back to monke or tg, I get pretty quickly reminded why the rules I sometimes disagree with exist, and pretty quickly find myself back here. I also think that as an admin, I would be able to enforce the rules more effectively and consistently, as I would have a better understanding and awareness of them, and I would be able to communicate and explain them to the players more clearly and politely.
  • As for the phrasing of “Neutral Notes”, I meant tone rather than severity, it would be a minor note.
  • I agree that I am not very active in the community, but I think that this is not a major issue, as I still have a vested interest in being a part of the community. I have not been very active on discord or the forums, because I prefer to focus on the game itself and to interact with the players and the admins in-game. I think that this is more authentic and enjoyable than chatting on discord or the forums, as it allows me to immerse myself in the roleplay and the action. I also think that being an admin would motivate me to be more active in the community, as I would have more responsibility and involvement with the server and its events. I would also be more available and accessible to the players and the admins, as I would be able to respond and assist them more quickly and efficiently.
  • I acknowledge that I have a patchy history and that I have made some mistakes and bad decisions in the past, but I think that I have also learned and improved from them. I think that everyone makes mistakes, and that the important thing is to recognize and admit them. I think that the example you gave, about me being Juggles the clown, I had genuinely thought that the chef might have some fun with that. I think that this was a minor and harmless prank, and not a major and harmful self-antagonism, as I was just deep frying random, inconsequential things and eating them in front of the chef (cardboard, cigarette butts, etc.), I thought it could lead to a back and forth with the chef trying to explain to this clown that deep frying random shit doesn’t make it food. But apparently, they had been under the assumption that I was a troll due to an earlier interaction with someone that they assumed was related to me.

I hope that this answers your questions and addresses your concerns. I hope that you will reconsider my application and give me a chance to prove myself as a worthy and reliable admin. I think that I have the potential and the passion to be a great admin, and that I can benefit and enhance the Beestation staff team and the Beestation server. Thank you for your time and attention.

Did you use AI software for anything in this application, including this reply?

5 Likes

Everything with the exception of the ckey and discord name is Bing ChatGPT LOL

2 Likes

And I thought your app was genuine for a bit.

Sad.

4 Likes