Bleue mod application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):
Bleueue
Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):
Bleue
How often are you online to help? (Timezone):
My time zone is Eastern US (Est) and I can be online anywhere from 9 am to 11 pm on weekdays, with a few hours difference on weekends.
What changes, if any, would you bring?:
I’ll be adding another person to the team, which is something I believe is pretty needed at the moment. Other than that, I’m not here to change anything major as I believe the server to be in a good spot despite a shortage.
How old are you?:
Why do you want to be a moderator?:
I think that I’d be a good fit for being a moderator, and I really want to help out in this server. I eventually want to get to a point where I can help with the forums, as I believe it definitely needs the most help.
How long have you been playing SS13?:
My first official log in on bee (the first server I joined) was 2022-09-24 but I only logged in about 2-5 times in that duration before leaving the game alone. I officially started playing in about April of 2023.
How long have you been playing BeeStation?:
I’ve been playing officially for about five months.
On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:
On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):
Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:
No.
Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:
No.
Your strengths:
I thrive on stress, and absolutely love getting overwhelmed with different projects. An example I like to use is that while a lot of people in medbay complain about getting overrun with bodies, I absolutely thrive on the stress of having to deal with so many projects at once. I feel that I’d have the same mindset with tickets, people, and other interactions.
Your weaknesses:
To be blunt, I’m going to lack confidence when I start out. I lack confidence in my ability to do this application. That does not mean that I lack confidence in my ability to be a moderator. I firmly believe that I have the potential to be a good moderator with enough training. I’m simply going to start out a bit slower than others.
Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:
metagrudging a character by repeatedly giving them a lack of chances ic that they otherwise would have. Especially if it’s an abuse of a position
What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:
I’m stuck between patience and self awareness. Patience is obviously very important when working with people in tickets, in discord, in any situation really. On the other hand, self awareness is also really important so that you don’t get jaded or otherwise too involved in something.
What makes a staff team good?:
Communication
What is a staff team’s purpose?:
To enforce server rules to help a server thrive.
What kind of player are you?:
Personally, I’ve been associated with the likes of “chatroom roleplay” where I will sit on a green shift and chat away with someone for the 2 hours it might go on. On the other hand, I love red shifts where things hit the fan and you’re forced to do your job twice as efficiently.
How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:
Less time in the game and more time moderating. I understand that this will happen no matter what I try to do. Beyond that, I’m not quite sure. I’m trying to keep myself open to any possible flaws I have so that I can improve on them if I get accepted.
The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:
First and foremost, check for antagonist. If they’re an antagonist, this is fine. In fact, it could even be a strategy to get the gun when it comes back around. Now then, onto the meat of the problem if they’re not an antagonist. While the clown has more leniency in the rules, it does not greenlight taking a gun, and especially not spacing the HoS gun. I would likely bwoink them and ask them what their reasoning was to get a better understanding of the situation. It’s important to check whether or not they’re a new player as well, and see whether they realize what they did was wrong. No matter the response, they’d be getting a note that will be worded differently based on the context of the clown’s response. It’s possible to escalate based on notes.
A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:
Here we can probably assume they’re not an antagonist considering that an admin is cleaning it up. So, I’d go and check how many hours they have. If it looks like a recent join and they immediately go to this, they clearly know enough to not exactly be new. It’s safe to say it’s a griefer, and I’d hit them with an explain on forums ban. I believe I need an admin approval on this. Now, for the opposite. If they’re an older player, they ought to know better and it’d still result in a pretty long ban. I’d still bwoink them to see the reason. I’m pretty sure the length of the ban would still require an admin. It’s possible to escalate based on notes.
A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:
Let’s check their chemistry hours and give them a bwoink to see what happened. This is a pretty common case with newer chemists, and I’d remind them that there are mentors as well as a wiki on the chemicals and their mixtures. I’d also check their notes to see if this happens often, and add a note on the event for reference.

13 Likes

Nothing special to point out on the app for me, all looks good.

Questions now:

1. You receive a ticket that reads “Jonathan Garland powergaming, also he’s singing SouljaBoy on commons.”. You know that Jonathan Garland is the RD, there are 3 security officers on board, and that there is a dragon that just spawned now but didn’t make its way to the station. How do you proceed?

2. You are observing and stumble upon a clown spam shoving someone else. You go observe somewhere else, then come back 5 minutes later to the clown and see that they are still spam shoving the same person. Then, you receive a ticket from the clown complaining that security arrested them. How do you proceed?

3. You receive a ticket from a player that has 5 hours on the server, their record show that they have 2 notes for LRP, and a short ban of 1 hour that reads “LRP behaviour, admitted to not reading the rules, go do that”. They ask in the ticket about how they can improve and what is expected of them on this server, what RP standards are, and if they are a right for the server. How do you respond?

4. You receive a ticket from a player that has the split personnality trauma, they complain that their split personnality is using “spanish characters” to make themselves recognizable to others, and that the other player deduced that they don’t have the proper keyboard needed to mimick them. How do you respond?

5. Bonus question, assume you have admin perms for this. The round has been going on for 2 hours, everybody is bored, it’s time to go home, what do you do as an admin to help drive things to a close?

Hello, thanks for applying!

Have a few questions while I look through your history on the server. Assume you are an admin with full perms for all questions:

1. You receive a ticket from a player about 10 minutes into the round, complaining that they were killed by a traitor this early. What do you look for from the traitor, and in what circumstances would you issue a note/ban?

2. You receive a ticket from a player complaining that security is not arresting the wizard that killed them. Upon questioning security, they claim that they cannot prove that the wizard did any crime worth arresting. Going through logs, the player killed was both the only player killed, and an objective of the wizard. What action do you take, if any?

3. You receive a fax from the head of security complaining about the poor performance of the captain. When you look over to see the captain, they are following SOP, but are a general annoyance to the crew and other heads. What action do you take, if any?

1: Alright, first and foremost I’d definitely put in a bwoink telling them about how they shouldn’t be using netspeak. Depending on their response, I’ll add whether or not they were understanding in the note. There will be a note either way. Now then, onto the more difficult part of this. I’d go and look at what the RD had, the alert level, and whether or not there were other antags that had raised all hell on the station. I highly doubt that enough had happened to the point that a RD would have to get the gear required to be close to powergaming, so if they did powergame on green or blue I’d question them in the before mentioned bwoink, add to the note, etc. There’s also the possibility that this person is simply complaining about the RD’s allowed tools such as the disabler, flash, and ptsd. If that’s the case I’d inform the person that made the ticket of what the RD is and isn’t allowed to use.

2: I’d respond to the ticket by telling the clown that it’s well within security’s right to arrest the clown, as repeatedly shoving someone can be considered assault. Marked as an IC issue.

3: This really sounds like questions for the mentors of the server. Before I would send them off to mentors, I’d probably ask them if they’d read the rules and remind them to if they say they haven’t.

4: Honestly, I’m not too sure about this one. I think the part I’m stuck on is whether or not they’re intending to pronounce the spanish characters or if they’re just using the characters as a recognizable method without having any ic interaction using it. If they’re just abusing a text based thing that they can do, I’d probably ask them to stop and add a hidden little note that the experience happened because it’s not that big of a deal. Either way though, I’d inform the person that it’s up to the player to innovate and find ways to deal with it ic when their trauma personality is finding ways to get an edge up. Also, it’s pretty easy to look up characters from different languages and copy paste them in.

5: Okay, I’ve thought a decent amount about this one and decided that I’d probably throw a space dragon at the station. It’d be a fun and interactive way to have something to hide from, fight, or interact with in general and the ability for ghost players to have an experience after 2 hours is probably healthy for them too. No matter the ending of the dragon, it’s very likely that the crew will call a shuttle after it.

1 Like

1: I would look for whether or not the traitor roleplayed, or was rushing greentext. If they roleplayed then great, I think they did everything properly. If they didn’t, I’d check the amount of hours they have on antag and the game in general. A new player, or someone new to antag, I’d be more lenient towards because it’s quite common for newer people to get caught up. I would give a lil bwoink and ask them why they weren’t roleplaying. Super negative responses like intentionally greentext hunting without seeing the problem and the like would get them a three day or so antag ban. On the other hand, I’d probably leave it at a note if they had no rp and seemed understanding about what they did wrong.

2: I would probably mark this one as an in character issue.

3: In this scenario, the only rule I can see being broken is the be excellent rule. It’s understandable if their character is intentionally not meant to be liked, but going out of their way to be overly mean or annoying eventually would result in a bwoink reminding them to be excellent and keep the other people playing the game in mind when roleplaying. That’d be a small note.

Honestly I like what I see in-game and the answers to the previous question,
One thing from me, being an admin can be pretty stressing at time, you get insulted, stakes are high( or it’s easy to convince yourself it is) and you have to deal with it.
How would you deal with this pressure?

1 Like

I honestly believe that I’d thrive off of the pressure of the situations, as I often do in stressful situations in life. Being overwhelmed with things often just puts me in a state where I focus better. I also have a decent amount of patience for insults. I’m pretty confident in my ability to handle these stresses, but if there’s ever a situation I’m confident I cannot handle, I’d ask a different member of staff to take that ticket before I made the mistake of trying to handle it.

Fair enough.
T: +1

1 Like

Good answers all around, take a +1 from me.

T:+2

1 Like

I gave you the ability to adminbus, and yet, nobody was instantly gibbed. Concerning…

1. Good answer, what I was looking for was to prioritize an antagonists goal to make the round interesting over someone getting round-removed, and you caught that.

2. This is an IC issue, but its a pretty boring outcome. What I was hoping was a similar situation with the first question, but where you encourage the wizard to make the round more interesting for everyone if they are not doing so already, either with IC messages or bwoinking the wizard.

3. This one was really subjective, but the biggest thing to notice is that this is a fax message, not an ahelp. It would really depend on the situation, but when this happened in a real round, I commended the HoS on their adherence to SOP and sent an inspector down. If the captain was being horribly out of place and making things horrible for everyone, you should escalate this to a bwoink, and you saw that. Good work.

Beyond that, everything looks fine looking through your history ingame and on Discord.

+1

T: +3

3 Likes

Application seems fine to me. There’s nothing that I really feel like commenting on. +1

T: +4

I have a hypothetical situation for you with a follow-up after you’ve answered.

• A chemist opens a ticket about the CMO. In the ticket they claim: “The CMO keeps coming into my lab to mix their own things even though I’m offering to mix for them. Every time they either completely ignore me or say they’ll just do it themselves and refuse to communicate what they need”.

How do you respond to this ticket and what do you investigate if anything?

5 Likes

First, I’ll say that I’m heavily under the impression that this is a reference to a less knowledgeable point in time for me where I asked a question about a very similar situation. Please tell me if I’m wrong.

Now then, to answer. This breaks rule 3, as the rule covers not only doing your job, but also not doing another person’s job if someone is filling that role. Being the CMO does not make you an exception to this as, while you could do it yourself, you shouldn’t. That’s only if they actually did this. I’d, of course, go through logs and check if what they said was true. If what they said was true, then I’d give them a little note and a bwoink telling them that they’re expected to allow other people to do their jobs even if they have access to the area. I’m tempted to say this is also a lack of roleplay, but I’d have to investigate further to find that out. I’d add that accordingly if they were refusing to roleplay properly throughout the round. If, for some reason, what the chemist claimed was entirely untrue and the CMO let them do it, they were never in chemistry and didn’t interact with the CMO, etc., I’d likely give them a note for maliciously ahelping.

1 Like

You are wrong but in the right ballpark

As for the promised follow-up:

During investigations you find that the CMO is interacting with most of the rest of the department normally. There is no shortage of RP or interactions overall, only when it comes to the chemist. Everyone on staff in medbay is a well known character except for the chemist and a paramedic, which are both relatively new accounts.

How do you proceed?

5 Likes

Jeez, it’s been two days my bad. Got a bit busy. Anyways:

If the CMO’s roleplaying properly, then that’s great but still doesn’t stop the rule 3 break. I’m really tempted to properly look into whether or not the CMO is properly roleplaying with the paramedic, but I’m gonna assume based on what you said that they are. If that’s not the case, please correct me. It seems like the CMO is just trying to do the chemist’s job themselves. I’d give them a bwoink and tell them not to do that, and give them a small note for it. Of course, I’d have checked former notes to see if they’d done this repeatedly before. If they did, escalate it.

Upon further investigation into the matter, you find the CMO has actually not been interacting with the paramedic either, only the very well known and established players as opposed to everyone as it initially seemed.

The paramedic has not opened a ticket and has just disconnected right before you could get a chance to speak to them.

Does this change your approach to the CMO?

This is the end of the scenario regardless of answer

2 Likes

I’m going to come forward and say that I’m mildly certain this is against rules but not exactly sure how. I looked into the rules a little bit and eventually came to the conclusion that this might be a case of not being excellent. The thought process is, simply put, that you should allow roleplay to foster between two people and not simply treat them differently ic just because you oocly don’t know them. I’d be tempted to put a note on for this and have a talk with them about it on top of the original claim that they should let others do their job, but I still feel like I’m messing something up in this. I suppose it’s about the intention though.

2 Likes

Very important point.

Alrighty, we’ve discussed your application internally and decided to accept it. You are still a bit rough around certain edges but we think it’s worth giving you a shot at moderator.

Welcome to the team!

Accepting at +4

1 Like