Atmospheric Gasses

Can we just agree that atmos has to get an update please? i honestly get my butt bored off because there arent as much gasses as in TG station, so my suggestion is add the same gasses TG has like freon, helium and more! I beg! atmos is very VERY boring because those arent available or add something new because i rather play TG just to play good game of atmos!

:person_shrugging:

I tried a few months ago. It didnt really seem like anyone cared, and the hurdles between auxmos and tgā€™s LINDA just made it impossible. Just ended up being a waste of hours of my life.

If you want to port that, there it is.

1 Like

Itā€™s open source. Feel free to contribute and update it.

i dont know anything about ss13 code base programming but all i say is please readd it i want the gasses ;-;

idk how iv never learned to program on ss13 beestation code base

Well, ask anyone that makes contributions to this server if they were born knowing how to do it.

No, they followed guides, community is helpful, they went and they tried.

I didnā€™t know shit a month ago, I still donā€™t know shit but Iā€™m working on a big project of my own.

@Ambiic is just starting out, heā€™s making interesting contributions, @Varo another person like me who knew nothing a month ago and has been making good contributions.

The advice I can give you is, become the change you want to see in the server.

Coders arenā€™t paid to contribute. So itā€™s not like they go through random peopleā€™s ideas thinking ā€œhum what next should I do to meet the monthly quotaā€.

No, they work their asses off in their real life job, then on their off time they work on their projects, their own ideas that theyā€™d like to see become a reality.

Honestly, making forum threads or asking ā€œcoders fix thisā€ or ā€œadd thisā€ does absolutely nothing. You may think you have a good idea, and it might be great, but no one else will pick it up and do it, because its YOUR idea.

Youā€™ll have to make it happen.

Also the one thing coders are avoiding like the plague is touching atmos.

It is the most complicated system in this game. So, unless you somehow manage to will yourself trough months of learning and making additions to the game, steadily increasing in complexity to get to the point where you can even begin to comprehend atmos let alone rework itā€¦ nothing will happen.

Just my two cents.

Cheers.

6 Likes

If you really want to catch someoneā€™s eye, come up with your own interesting gasses instead of just taking from TG.

What kinds of gasses do you want, what effects could they have and how are they made?

2 Likes

That was more than two cents, that was a whole dollar.

Start your coding life here: https://hackmd.io/@PowerfulBacon/B1SeqStVq

2 Likes

Alternatively if you donā€™t have the time/motivation to code consider placing a paid bounty bounty on github. Lots of people become more motivated to spend hours of their life working on something if paid for their time.

5 Likes

honestly atmos just needs something new to do rather than more toys to do the same things with

1 Like

It took me a full year to begin experimenting with Atmos and understanding it, I to this day consider myself to be an amateur in Atmos, I began in goon and then said to myself ā€œI wish there is more to this it seems it has potential and funā€ then I found TG station and holy shit that took a long time to understand how gasses works, fixing temperature, the heck is a mole, making gasses, using the RPD looked complicated to the point I said the fuck is this, the main point is it seems impossible it just takes a LONG time and I for one donā€™t have that time anymore due to Uni so I donā€™t think I can learn to program of Beestation, what I am doing is learning C language and on my off time cybersecurity.

Wait so people place bounties so it gets worked then it gets approved then added?! I didnā€™t know this! Sadly being a Uni student makes you broke lol.

That is why im suggesting this there is barely any gas that makes it fun to do atmos like in TG so i play in TG just to do atmos smh, but its understandable why its not added YET.

Thanks homie but no thanks i cant learn it, no time whats so ever

I just did a quick check, my comment on the code base is itā€™s similar to C, C#, and Unity, kind of but holy shit know I know why atmos is the hardest thing to code, Iā€™m scared now.

2 Likes

Far as I know, a coder picks up the bounty and receives the money when they post the full complete PR. But itā€™s not guaranteed to be merged.

Atmos is also written in a different language than the rest of SS13

2 Likes

You know if you gave up some ss13 play time to instead do ss13 dev time, you could both learn a skill and contribute :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Relatable.

Any other language is better than DM.

at this point iā€™m giving all my play time to dev time :((((

2 Likes