Admin AI name ruling disagreement (Punchcard)

In-game misconduct:

CKEY: The Maggot Guy

Your Discord: TheMaggotGuy

Offender’s CKEY: don’t remember but you can just check the ahelp logs. It might be H42.

Date: See above

Round Number: See above

Rules Broken (if relevant): “…simple Non-Acronym names provided they are computer or robot related.”

Incident Description: I wanted to name my AI character after the old punchcards that used to be used for programs back in the day, he agreed Hollerith (as an acronym) was acceptable (they were also called Hollerith Cards) but that “Punchcard” was too complicated. I said I might appeal it later, and now it’s later, lol. I wanna name my borg “punchcard”.

Additional Information:
220px-Punched_card_program_deck.agr
This is what they looked like. You had to make sure they were in order and if there was an error somewhere in your program you had to manually go back and find it then spend however many minutes loading up the cards again. Total headache.

Edit: before someone says “Wikipedia writes it as two words” I know someone who programmed on those things and they always said it as one word, ‘punchcard’, like ‘timecard’ or ‘handbrake’.

@h42

13 Likes

Probably won’t be handled until after the holidays, though.

Alrighty, so we’ve discussed this internally and reached the conclusion that the name was indeed fine to use. Punchcard fits the definition of “simple Non-Acronym names provided they are computer or robot related”.

@h42 has been made aware of the outcome of this report, thank you for opening it.

1 Like