Additional guns

I was thinking that it may make traitor rounds, and general rounds more interesting if there was a few more guns added. For example traitors simply have access to a stechkin and a syndie revolver using their uplink, what if they could have access to smgs, or shotguns, perhaps even assault rifles. Same as security, they could potentially order nanotrasen brand weaponary from cargo. This is just an idea that I thought up yesterday, thought it might make traitor rounds more diverse and perhaps a little bit more interesting at times. I only thought of this when I was messing around in the code of the game, and noticed that roughly 10% of all projectile weapons are either role specific, or admin spawnable only. The few problems I’ve thought of is 1: Someone will have to code all of these (I could barely find the folder for the weaponary code), 2: Some weapons may be overpowered, and could give self-antags/griefers an easy way to get their hands on a powerful weapon, 3: Traitor roles will become even more powerful than before, however civilians roles may get access to weaponary too, good and bad depending on the way you look at it, 4: The idea I have in my head is essentially additional weapons for each class, new smgs (or easier accessible ones, or edited for nanotrasen brands and such), perhaps a new shotgun (there are a good amount already though), for pistols the ability to access either newly coded ones, or potentially buyable findable guns, such as m1911’s (also potentially add civilian grade weapons, such as glock’s and such), and for assault rifles I thought the addition of some automatic weapons might be a good idea, such as AK47’s perhaps for antags, and M4A1’s for security. Something to remember is that this is just an idea, I’m only semi-serious about this, if it gets declined or removed, it’s fine by me.

I would finally be able to shout “AK 47s for everyone”

3 Likes

That’d be an amazing quote for a cultie round as the QM

the AK-47 is an iconic rifle that will absolutely never die even in the age of laser rifles. It’s just too cheap and easy to make with a design that everyone knows and understands.

I agree with that, even in a time where laser weaponary is common and advanced, a powerful classic weapon such as the AK-47 can never be forgotten.

Well, two things hold it back.

One; coding.
Ya can have as many good ideas as you want but rarely is anyone gonna do it for you.

Two; balance.
As much as I don’t really care about this one, some people will genuinely cry about this one hard. Laser weaponry is more prominent due to how versatile they are, and how easy it is to patch burn damage up.
Ballistic weapons cause a fuckin’ mess and are generally more lethal than laser-based stuff. Giving Antags access to anythin’ above a SMG ballistic-wise is a bit of a fun but complicated idea to balance.

If Cargo could get more ballistic weaponry that’d indeed be fun but it still is hard to ‘balance’ in hella ways.

that’s why it’s just an idea, I’m sure I could figure out how to code it at some point, I’ve given it a try before, it didn’t work, but I got close-ish. And for the balancing, that is a true problem, I think damage caps would have to be created.

this does just boil down to “give regular traitors nukie weapons”

more or less, with the potential idea of desert eagles aswell

Ehhh

I’unno if it’s damage caps. If you add anything that hits above 20 per hit, with a magazine higher than 20, that’s also fully automatic, it’s gonna be hard to balance. Alternatively, another gun may cover its function already.

Ya want a hard hitting, slow firing precision rifle? Mosin.

Ya want something to spray 'n pray, or a medium-range automatic weapon? The WT-500/SMG. Plus, if you research exotic ammo, it also becomes even more effective.

Ya want a hard hitting close range weapon? Shotguns and their ammo subtypes.

It still would be fun to toy with, just hella hard to balance

I basically just want all the weapons you can’t get (because they are admin spawnable), to be buyable at cargo or used as a traitor item.

Be me
QM
Must fulfill my ancap dream
install 20 gas miners in lavaland
reach 5mil v-bucks in 20 mins
Buy every weapon known to man, woman and synthetic lifeform alike
Cargo is now a PMC
somehow more effective than sec at apprehending criminals
spot greyshirt poking my windoor with a toolbox once
Screech in anger and blow his leg off with my .50 cal sniper rifle

It’d be genuinely fun once every now and then as an event or such but It’d only make Cargo lean into Gun Cargonia more often than usual.