A Department Removed: Why the Mining Changes have gutted the department

If I wanted to powergame, I’d stick to Botany where I can create instant-kill Area-of-effect weapons, non-overdose healing meds or bluespace griefing tomatoes. Or I would go to Xenobiology and create armies of monsters, infinite explosives and fire/space/lavaproof hardsuits. Both of those require little effort. And as for your Necropolis Seed virus, the item is totally useless as Virologists can get the symptom from the station anyways…
And as for the Megafauna Change, I had an idea that I made a separate forum post about, that I will briefly repeat:
Move Megafauna out of the overall lavaland environment. Have a system where you can fight them in a contained area in the Necropolis, where Legion is now. Have the fights be activated by an item purchasable with Mining Points, forcing miners to do their jobs as you currently want them to do.

1 Like

If you want less pvp and more mining could we get a buff to mining borgs and mining mechs?

1 Like

EXACTLY!

Complete sentence moment.

Stick a magnet on it and it will see all kinds of pretty colors

2 Likes

We already discussed why this would not work and is a terrible idea.

Soon :tm:
Balance has to start somewhere

(Also you forgot that they can stack many dozens of those weapons in a belt slot)

Port the changes from /tg/ and i leave.

Do literally anything else and i may actually support you on it.

Main suggestion: Make an illegal tech seed vendor, restrict dangerous traits to lavaland (GIVE LAVALAND XENOFLORA A REASON TO EXIST DAMNIT!), or make an gene editor machine that requires illegal tech to work with chems.

Edit: I will still find a way to insta-kill Deathnettle anyway.

I have a few suggestions… :tm:

1 Like

No lol.
I like their concepts but not the extremes they go to.

I don’t have even close to concrete plan for botany yet or really how to approach it despite my jabs at strange seeds.

If you do a lot of botany, I’d love to split that into it’s own discussion because unlike mining, I do not have a lot of experience with botany and I really have no interest in killing the fun of the department - just toning down it’s maximum power level because our codebase’s powercreep was approaching critical levels. “But look at X that Y department has” is a terrible justification for adding new, powerful content and feeds into itself infinitely.

I will help with Botany since i have tons of experience with it.

As long as you agree to readd Gold farms.

Reduce power, not kill mechanics
That’s all I’ll tell you.

Why was this removed anyway? Xenbio and Botany have cool transformations, why can’t mining have one too?

1 Like

Mining has transformations, pride mirror ruin and envy knife.

And gluttony too, actually

Gluttony needs to be removed same as ash drake was, it only exists for miners to disregard their job and self antag. There’s a morph event, no reason to have players be able to become a morph every other round just to wordlessly delete ore silo as a mining job.

1 Like

In all my time playing SS13. I have seen a miner go Morph…at least half a dozen times.

It seems like its quite a rare thing. And Gluttony ruin is rare spawn anyway.

2 Likes

it is not even remotely as common as you imply it to be. I see morphs around as often as wizards, maybe even less.

Plus, morph event is even less common than swarmers. Which means pretty much nonexistent.

funny thing. nobody sees a good morph.
It really isn’t that common of a transformation though, no - Miners also don’t get a free pass to antag just because they found it anymore.

ALL morphs are good morphs as they demonstrate the folly of man and his pathetic ore silo

5 Likes
  1. Ore Silo
  2. Armory
  3. Medical
  4. AI
  5. Jump into SM

:DDDDDDDDDDDDD

2 Likes