Why the note system on bee SUCKS BALLS

reddit SS13 karma would be a great system, maby we could add reddit gold SS13 plasma as a sorta online token you can give to some one to show how great there post RP was

1 Like

Gukle was the most recent example of popular player that was removed.

Maggot has already been gone for almost a year.

Hidden notes are exclusively for suspicions of metacomms and other such investigative notes, not for confirmed violations.

This is part of our admin conduct. No admin should be hiding notes unless it matches this.

1 Like

why were they removed, how were they bad for the server

1 Like

Fun fact, there’s no option for “positive note” in the note panel. When you add a note it tells you what severity you want to assign to it.

This is because normally such rewards aren’t recorded with notes. They’re met with subtle messages (prayers), cookies, or little other interactions. Additionally the primary reward for bringing something unique and positive to a round is not a pat on the head from the administrative staff (unless they’re catgirls, then headpatting may be required), but to have fun playing the game.

If I need to beat a player’s ass the tool that I use is a hammer…

Notes are not punishments, they’re a record keeping device. It’s like how when security throws you in a cell they’re supposed to add your crimes to your records. The time is the punishment, the record is so they remember. In that same light, if you get a note, a talking to, and that’s it, the talking to (and likely smite) that you receive is the punishment. The note is so other admins know it happened.

Because people who have fun gimmicks aren’t typically on to get a validhunt fix in my experience.

First of all the science system doesn’t even promote IC interaction. Second, again, if someone has a gimmick in mind then they’re more than welcome to create that positive engagement on their own. Ahelp if you think it might break the rules, and we’ll either okay it or not. If we see it and think it’s funny or cool then we’ll likely drop one of the aforementioned subtle messages.

If they’re not interested in joining the community then positive drawing interaction from the admins likely won’t help… in fact, normally the people who we interact with who aren’t particularly interested in joining the beestation community wind up permanently banned with ban descripters to the song of “extremely racist, filter bypass”, “griefer”, and “nazi.”

If you try something and it doesn’t work normally you go “oh well.” if you try something and it does work normally it’ll be a case of you, and a bunch of your peers, having a great time that at least slightly revolved around that accomplishment. Every engineering player has blown up a supermatter before. It’s part of the game. An admin saying “good job” when you set up your first successful engine isn’t going to enhance that moment any more in my opinion.

I make 2d spessman horizontal.

I’m curious how you think that we’re initially biased against any given (random) ckey. Obviously 6969xxxbroski isn’t placing himself in the best light, but for the average ckey, name, etc, there’s really nothing that could bias us when we first open the player panel that is on a personal level.

Alright, sounds reasonable. Maybe an occasional problem child but probably for the most part not bad is my initial read based on hours and notes.

This is kind of the point of the notes system. We don’t know players. When we do recognize players it’s normally because they’ve been bad kids and don’t like playing nice with others. If your ckey rings the bell of an admin, that’s normally not a positive sign. Now, important to note, this is not always the rule.

The best way to tell you how we help determine the pieces of shit from the occasional troublemaker is this: Notes have dates attached to them. People who are genuinely not helpful here tend to have frequent or regular notes, normally for the same reasons. People who encounter only occasional trouble with the rules tend to have more dispersed notes. Notes per hour is another way to determine this. (technically deaths per hour is too, but that can be biased fairly easily by job selection.)

Normally the way that we know someone is actually putting effort in to get better is pretty simple: They stop breaking the rules, so we don’t bwoink them.

Notes are not punishments. The bwoink (warning), ban, smite, brain tumor, eye removal, heart attack, or other adverse round effecting issue that happens are. Notes are a system for us to communicate with other admins about what someone has been talked to about prior to the interaction in that moment.

Notes are generally left after a bwoink. The admin makes the determination at that time if what happened was worthy of a sanction beyond the warning that was likely already given. The note is documentation of that warning.

The only scenarios where a bad note causes punishment are these… 1: you have a recent note, or series of perpetually recent notes, for the same rule break. 2: you have notes that show you’ve broken or toed the line on multiple rules in a short period of time.

There is a reward, that reward just doesn’t come in the form of admins normally. Generally your reward for being a good player is that other players will enjoy playing with you, and you enjoy the game. When other people enjoy interacting with you IC they’re more likely to give you shiny toys, or even risk their IC lives for your character.

Yes, we judge you based on prior admin interventions required. That’s kinda how we get rid of shitters who are only on the edge of the line.

Welp, that’s a player perception, and we’ll keep screaming at the moon that they’re only for recordkeeping.

So what exactly “deserves” a note? is it waving at someone? Engaging in bar RP? Doing an amazing job at the job they’ve been playing for hundreds of hours? I’ve handed out positive notes, and normally said nothing to the player at all about them. Normally this is for when I notice people doing something for other players, like a geneticist teaching a new assistant genetics.

The core issue ultimately is this: We notice the bad more than the good. When we see the good I’d be hard pressed to find an admin who doesn’t jump at the opportunity to subtly encourage it without scaring the shit out of the player with a… image

The normal reason for hidden notes is due to ongoing investigations or suspicions about things like ban evasion, multikeying, metacomming, or other information that would lead to people changing up. We rarely make secret notes.

tl;dr

• It’s hard to find good behavers when they’re good and nobody makes a lot of noise about them. Normally we’re wound up hunting for the rule breakers and clubbing them with baby seals.

• When we do notice exceptional behavior we don’t tend to use the note system because, frankly, people don’t check their notes that often. We use IC rewards, cookies, subtle messages from god, headset messages from centcom, etc… to reward that sort of behavior.

• Furthermore, bwoinks scare the shit out of people. I’d rather not make a good player go get a change of pants over them being good.

• Lastly: We’re not cheerleaders, we’re admins. You should play the game because you enjoy it. If you don’t enjoy it without getting a pat on the head from admins then perhaps a sandbox isn’t the best game to be playing.

2 Likes

Date 1: Calculate Notes Per Hour (Total # Notes/Total Hours)

Date 2(off in the future): Calculate Notes Per Hour

Now calculate date 2 NPH - date 1 NPH. This gives you Delta NPH.

Positive Delta NPH? They’re not just not improving, they’re getting worse.
Negative Delta NPH? They’ve gotten better.
Near 0 Delta NPH? No change in behavior, consistent with previous expectations.

See above method. May not be actual methodology but its damn close.

He may have been asking about gukle.

What I mostly call good behavior that should be rewarded, is community wide stuff like, as you said, someone teaching a few people a complicated job and helping people learn. Someone organizing a mega project and organizing events throughout a round like talent show as captain/head. Someone whose roleplay of the round was so interesting and funny/moving everyone in dchat and in game wanted to partake in it/was talking about it to some degree.

Just, widely recognized to be good stuff and while you could def reward a first sm setup & whatnot, these are better left on their own for the players to enjoy - discovering the game and how it works is its own reward that makes people want to keep playing.

There are also people who just play on bee to play SS13, without necessarily wanting to be a “bee member”, one of the “regulars” whom everyone recognizes (non static names being the best example of such a person). You can’t just say everyone like that WILL get banned, that’s primarily false.

I could write a bunch more, but it’s 2 am and i’m beyond fucking tired. i’ll probably make another bigger post in the morning. apologies

This OP literally seems to assume that we just ban people for having note histories with 0 regards of context, recency, or similarity.

It’d be even easier to do what we already do if someone were up for porting the /tg/ thing that says how many hours were played between each note. There’s no need for positive notes which would likely be given out only rarely to people whose bannability won’t be affected by them or a weird ass points system.

I do not assume that people are banned with 0 regards for context, recency or similarity -
What I depicted was mostly that, even if there’s times in between the notes, and you can see the notes per hour etc, you’re still going to be seen rather badly because there’s only the negative portrayal on you in there.

Once again, everyone here would judge someone else terribly if all they got to see was their notes/bans, as long as it’s got even a tiny bit of stuff in it.

Personally, I already got fucked over despite having a clean record for 300 hours:
I got 5 notes or so in 100 hours of playing in under 2 weeks which, were EXTREMELY OFTEN described as “just for recordkeeping” when applied,
and giggaguy who did not know me at all just, saw me being LRP in sage, saw my notes and how close they were (not knowing i was perfectly fine for 300 hours beforehand, and that the notes were mostly issued due to being under more scrutiny as a HEAD)

And issued a 2 week ban as a FIRST ban, believing me to be a shitter who’s just a terrible player to have on bee.

Once again, to me, the source of this ban was MOSTLY the fact that giggaguy saw my note history and just didn’t have anything else to go off of, because they did not know me.

The system ruko described much earlier, while not altering entirely how admins put on notes, would help severely with such a problem.

And, once again, even if you feel like it’d be stupid, I assure you that even a dumb gold star from an admin feels fantastic. Everyone loves getting recognized and seen as beneficial, that’s like, basic human psyche.

Come now. that was a benefit for all parties.

1 Like

Notes are private, they’re only visible to staff. You’re saying you’ve never gotten a positive note.

Positive notes exist.

Making an ad-hominem that amounts to “well ur just complaining bcz ur not getting it !” doesn’t work when mostly all the admins who came to talk about them here already said they were rare/barely handed out.

While some argued it was fine and unnecessary, which i can disagree with, it still allows me to tell you that you’re wrong, and that very subtly calling me a bad player for never getting one, is really not warranted

1 Like

cope

Well this really devolved in the last few hours.

1 Like

This is now a spiderman thread