Why people won't play as captain

Personally being an acting Captain when there’s no other command is just as bad due to the same reasons everyone else has pointed out. I main HoP so I’ve gotten used to it having to deal with it but if I wanted to be Captain I would have set my job prefer for that. It’s come to the point that I don’t play HoP unless I see there’s already Captain or at least three other command onboard since having to take the responsibility for departments I know little about can be gruelling.

1 Like

I don’t play captain due to incompetence, AI had bolted me in my office because “I was SSD” (I wasn’t) so i asked and told for safety, the crew was saying, Ai malf, so i had assumed that it had an ion law, i went to reset it, took a purge module by accident and megabyte shoved me out of the upload after i uploaded purge module.

The shift was chaos, i was so bad i asked admemes to ban me from cap, i am too incompetent to even try to be the captain.

1 Like

(Where’s the “All of the above” option)

As an ex-Golden command player, I’m more or less used to being the only command member, though on Sage population levels, this paints a massive target on your back, even moreso than war ops nukies.

Secondly, captains constantly get blamed for things out of their control, i.e. antags running about while there’s sec drinking themselves to death at the bar.

It’s also an extremely stressful role to begin with.

4 Likes

I have never really found being captain stressful.

Just be nice to the crew. If anyone shouts at you just laugh at them.

1 Like

They’re not on by default because you’re not supposed to micromanage all departments as the Captain.

1 Like

Agreed, which is why I mentioned it in the context of other Command roles not being filled.

1 Like

The problem is that during late night low-pop rounds you have to because there are often no heads to manage said departments so you end up herding cats the entire round and die from a chemist mailing you a meth bomb because you told him he cant sell dangerous chemicals to the clown.

Obviously this has never happened and im just speaking from rumor and not experience…

1 Like

Because last time I played captain(acting) I was permanently banned from all Sec and Command positions for having too much “good” gear on me, even thou it took me about 2 hours to collect everything…

simple really, captain is a condom

2 Likes

who the fuck worries about death in ss13 of all games

i pick captain specifically with the intent of having someone unexpectedly kill me, and it rarely happens anyways

3 Likes

Recent experience with playing CMO and being acting captain on a pop 30 late night shift.

Found myself doing sec work because there was no round start sec and the guy I promoted to warden went SSD.

Was about 90% sure the AI was malf but still 10% sure that if I was wrong I was going to get player reported anyway. Still carded the AI though.

Seems to me that picking ANY head position during a low pop shift guarantees you wind up as either acting cap or some department head thats trying to pretend the rest of the station and the chain of command doesnt exist except within your own department.

1 Like

No you didn’t. You have a correlation causation issue here.
If heads are fun and good to play, why are they not the first filled?
Who’s to say raising the pop cap by say 30 wouldn’t get us 30 more assistants?

Heads are not filled either due to not being a fun role, or due to inexperience/fear of getting it wrong.

My most played role is CE, and I enjoy it. I can either do fun setups with the SM with full reign over both engie and atmos usage for it.
Or I can delegate to others, and have full reign over the budget and larger constructions / fun projects. When not doing either I like to teach people how to stare at pipes and coming to help them fix their issues, but it is rare that I’m not already trying to craft something unusual. Note my recent wild ride in discord stories.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.