Why does CQC exist?

So this is going to be a question-rant-ramble-suggestion sorta thing.

First of all, this post is about Close-Quarters Cooking. This is not about Close-Quarters Combat.

The Question:

Why does a non combat character like the cook have very powerful ability like this? And second, why is it specifically the cook? Where is the Close-Quarters Cleaning that only works in the janitorial closet, or the Close-Quarters Computing that only works in the robotics lab? I am still considering myself as a kind of new player to the game and from my point of view the existence of CQC seems entirely unreasonable and random. Maybe there is a valid reason for it to exist or some interesting history behind this, and I would love to hear about this from a veteran player.

The Rant:

I do not just not know why CQC exists, I also thing it’s existence is bad. First, I think its existence is random and it is very unbalanced. Second I have the feeling the power corrupts people.
POV you are cook and there is a conflict. You can
A: try to talk it out
B: shove against counter, throw in kitchen, CQC to crit
I swear to god, 90% of cooks I meet choose B.

The Ramble:

Part 1:

Okay so, the only reason I can think of for why CQC exists is to give the cook a little more robustness in their own realm. For example the bartender has the classic shotgun and the dangrous combo of alcohol plus lighters. But I think CQC is way to overpowered and also: the cook has a knive. Is that not enough?

Part 2:

Let’s talk about Pete. Pete is the cook’s pet goat who can also be milked. But Pete also has this fun little quirk where he randomly starts attacking anybody in his close vicinity after a while. Because of that, no cook has ever pet the Pete or milked the Pete. So what’s left is, that Pete is just… a goat. Pete is usually murdered roundstart or shoved in the kitchen mulebot delivery tile and left there forever.

The Suggestion: Close-Quarters Goating

Okay, summarise. We want to remove CQC, fix Pete, and still give the cook a bit of robustness to make people think twice before they jump over the counter in the kitchen.
First, Pete should be passive to everybody when outside of the kitchen area. That way maybe one can finally use Pete’s cool ability to eat space vines. Currently, if you try to bring Pete, you are probably being killed before you arrive at the vines. Second, Pete should be passive to everybody who has access to the kitchen, when inside the kitchen area. The cook can finally safely pet the Pete and milk the Pete. To anybody who doesn’t have access, Pete should still keep his current behaviour. Even more so, the time that passes until Pete feels the need to defend his territory against those pesky intruders should be shortened, but still long enough that when the cook throws you in the kitchen now, you still have some time to escape. Pete also gets aggressive when being attacked. To make removing Pete harder, he should also immediately get agressive when being grabbed inside the kitchen area. Outside, anybody can grab him. And to make killing him harder he should also recieve a significant HP increase. Since Pete always spawns in the freezer, people can still go in the kitchen when there is no cook.

1 Like

This feels more of a suggestion to change and should be in the suggestion thread/folder/thingy dingy. Either way, where are my two cents on the topic.

Funny. lol

A lot of the functionality is just… memes. Security Officers can eat donuts to restore health. Literally seen a Seccie call out for a “tactical donut” and I love it. lol

They got flashes, just knock 'em down, flash 'em and throw 'em out. ESPECIALLY CHAPLAINS!

Who the fuck but the janitors goes to the custodial closet? Plus, they got mop. Power of the atomic bomb size of a mop.

I, with roughly 900 hours, didn’t know cooks had CQC until one time I choose cook. I guess I just never pissed 'em off. xd

You’re saying lighting someone on fire and shooting them with LESS-than lethal, not non-lethal shotgun shots is better than the Gordon Ramsey’s version of Kung Fu?

Also, as a general rule. Don’t kill your pets!! >:C

You can still do it… I did it a few days ago. No problem at all.

I’d agree that Pete should be passive to the cooks at least, either through job title and or through what you spawn in as.

This is why:

7 Likes

Literally the only reason cook has CQC is “funny”

3 Likes

What a lame suggestion. Literally TG tier “Remove it because it‘s fun” mindset. Cooks have CQC, so what? That’s what they just have. This game isn‘t just a hyperrealistic job simulator all the time.

3 Likes

I cant believe cook is STEVEN SEAGAL

HAHAHAH WHAT THATS AMAZING.

I’d just remove CQC and sleeping carp :triumph:

But I like the idea of the Pete.

But I also don’t have a problem with the cook being powerful in the kitchen.

I think its funny when secs try to arrest the cook inside the kitchen. Leads to some interesting interactions.

1 Like

That is cool till you gotta kill the cook who won’t come out of his kitchen

1 Like

(I once firebombed one such cook repeatedly to no avail)

Get a gun. They don’t discriminate, only penetrate.

There is no deeper reason to it. It is unreasonable and random.
i wasnt there for it being added to cook, but i bet my left ball it was just “ha, funny refernce. Thats funny, add that”

For a more arcadey, LRP oriented codebase you can absolutely get away with shit like this.
But, if you were to add something like this these days it’d certainly be shot down. Keep in mind we’re TG derived, and even then we werent always a roleplay focused server.

At this point, its traditon. People are used to it, cooks expect it and so should anyone entering into kitchen. Is it sensible? Hell no. Is it awfull to the point of waranting removal? No imo, but thats subjective.

Are you still refering to Close Quaters Cooking? In which case see above.
CQC the martial art for nukies is perfectly sensible for an elite force of military men.

1 Like

IED’s barely classify as bombs(monkey people can be cqc’ed but he was skill issued)

1 Like

Very interesting reference, thanks.

very funny round

Yes, the entire post is about Close-Quarters Cooking. I have absolutely no problem with Close-Quarters combat.

Okay, my takeaway from all the replies is, that the only reason for CQC to exist is “for fun” and that there isn’t really a mechanical or balancing reason. I have to admit, I personally do neither find it fun to use it, nor to getting CQC’d, but apparently some other people do, so that is fine then.

Another big issue is chef’s CQC being abused by griefers. But that just extends to most easily abusable game mechanics like plasmaflooding, TTVs, plasma cigs etc.

Eh, i’m not a fan of that one-hit sleep tbh, it’s always a mess to fight a chef on their homefield, specially if they’re also a ling but that rarely happens and in the end they’re contained to the kitchen and team-work prevails against them, in the end if you go alone to try and take down the chef that’s a skill isue a lack of judgement.

1 Like

Everyone stops laughing
when the chef gets the Ce Blueprints

2 Likes

Mhmm… fried blueprints.

15 hours later and Ive watched this movie, you have my gratitude for posting the trailer, that was a great one.