Why do we Even Need Engineers for Power?

If cell charger uses 60 power to charge 250, can we have infinite energy by swapping the cells of the apc that power the cell charger with a power cell charged by said cell charger ?

Infinite free energy ?

5 Likes

I’ve considered this before, but from what I’ve seen replacing APC batteries is a nightmare.

But the same could be applied to Etherials.

Etherials can charge APC’s on grab intent. And they charge it quite fast! don’t know the conversion rate thought!

Yes
Yes you can

But deliberatley violating the laws of thermodynamics are liable to get you misseld

6 Likes

8 Likes

What is your stance on power inducers?
Their sole purpose is to recharge drained APCs with a stored power cell you then recharge in a charger.
:thinking:

But no really, I wanted to fix the power cell thing in general so it was a 1:1 exchange

1 Like

Please don’t :(((((

1 Like

replacing APC cells is not a nightmare.
fixing broken APCs is what you’re confusing it with

Replacing the power cell is just a quick ID scan, crowbar and swap IIRC

2 Likes

Do people actualy use them like that? :thinking:
I’d only seen them used to recharge machines mainly, like chem dispensers ect.
Which i dont realy care to much about, people just wanna use their machines.

I think the power economy needs some sort overhaul in general so it matters more
As things stand its either “you have infinite power” or “the station is gonna be slowly shutting down and go dark”

making interactions like cell charges and inducers 1:1 in terms of power is what makes sense
but im not too shure if thats sensible in the current power conomy, ballance wise ect

3 Likes

I agree, make those electrical grease monkeys manage the power more, all they do is sit in engineering building insane reactors, that’s not dynamic on a station wide scale. It has station wide repercussions if they fuck up*. but other than that most of the time the station’s power routing the “Do we have enough power or is everything just slowly shutting down now” Give us more power routing stuff like an APC control net that enables APC fuckery like the A.I., but in a cumbersome manner like SEC’s Camera consoles.

Like sure all of engineering is involved when holes happen to the station but aside from that either ATMOS has it covered by themselves or it’s a full section rebuild. More power routing stuff would give engies more to do that isn’t just “Fix small hole”, “fix wire” and “tinker with SM”

(*Funny piss crystal go boom)

Infinity power cell be like:
inifinite_powercell
inifinite_powercell_is_real
test

9 Likes

Replace SMES batteries with Yellow Charged Slimes = Infinite Power

1 Like

Usually only when power is failing and its generally paired with the spare power cells that engi vendor contains (or the ones built in) as recharging is generally off the table in that case anyway…

Cant say ive ever seen someone abuse this knowingly… (charging a battery in the same room you want powered.)
At most it would just be putting cells back into chargers thinking its moving power from one APC to others…

Inducers can keep some departments going for like 15 min maybe? maybe a struggle with med but close.
Dont think it would cause too many problems swapping to 1:1 in general tho… Robotics and chemistry are the two largest battery drains I can think of and its unlikely it would drain the station dry if changed.

You’ll need a lot of SMES with those things now.
They’re not nearly as strong as they used to be

I need to see if I can pull of my amazingly stupid monkey torture powered TEG idea.

Yes! I thought replacing the battery was as difficult as fixing the broken APC

I’ve often seen them used this way to power ships for ruin exploration

I played solo on Acacia for a few hours and did this. I think I made like 20 charged cores (with solars wired) to power the entire station.

I don’t think this is much of an issue currently as an inducer can power a room or two while tge SM can power a whole station. Without the SM, if no one is powering the area with an inducer then all doors are free to crowbar open! And you can of course power it up once you’re inside, just enough to print guns and whatnot and let it drain by itself for a minute or two.

If you really wanna game. Make a few cell chargers and charge up a bunch of batteries. Then walk around to each solar panel set up and replace its batteries. Power running low? Go do another tour around the station then. It’d work but be boring and annoying.

All this talk about infinite power via battery swapping charged cells is pointless when we can make inducers with yellow slime power cores.

I just wanted to make a funny meme :')